When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Ingeniur

lanikai

After 2 years of having this rep. .. I finally get to wear it.. 2 years ago after receiving the Ingy as a Christmas present, I sent it for a date wheel swap.. the dw was from Lello. .. and the member said he could do this no prob. .. that is the last time I sent anything to anyone but Ziggy.

Long Story short the watch was destroyed.. literally.. the overlay was put directly on the dw so it was messing up the gears..the hands fell off upon arrival.. yada.. yada.. so it went in the drawer..never posted the event .. no need ...

2 years later a good friend was doing some mods to his newly acquired Ingy and long story short.. offered to fix my issues, and his skills are well known..I won't get into what all had to be done.. other than "everything".. plus the movement was ruined so it was replaced.. thanks to a generous friend....

So for you Noobs that have not seen too many pics of the Ingy, this IMO is a must have.. this was the first great AR out of the box ..not like Chiefs but at a time when AR was non existent on most reps..

the weight is substantial.. and for me it's a break from the chrono dials.. it's nice to view a non chrono between all the sub dials at times..

Here are some pics..

zingy008.jpg

zingy004.jpg

zingy003.jpg

zingy006.jpg

zingy017.jpg

zingy021.jpg

zingy023.jpg

zingy013.jpg

zingy024.jpg

AC/Lani

It's beautiful, Lani. I've been thinking of getting a big, chunky, 70s-styled watch, and I'm torn between the Ingenieur and the VC Overseas.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each rep?

the VC is imo more sleek.. the Ingy is very heavy the AR on the Ingy is great .. kinda two different personalities here..

I think the Ingy is a must have.. the VC if you can source the correct dial would be a nice addition to your collection, the bracelet itself is very, very cool..

AC/Lani

Thanks, Lani and cornerstone. I tried a genuine Ing at a second-hand shop, and found it beefy but wearable on my smallish wrist. It's a really impressive hunk of metal and the rep seems no different.

I think the IWC just moved up my list of future rep purchases, but I'll be keeping an eye open for the right VCO.

It's beautiful, Lani. I've been thinking of getting a big, chunky, 70s-styled watch, and I'm torn between the Ingenieur and the VC Overseas.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each rep?

Both fantastic but

I think the Ingy is a must have.. the VC if you can source the correct dial would be a nice addition to your collection, the bracelet itself is very, very cool..

AC/Lani

The dial with the correct date window makes it, the wrong window breaks it

I think that the current chief AR is too good for this rep, what yiou get on the rep is so close to the Gen, where as chief AR with out the blue tint would look wrong (better but wrong) if you were trying to get this close to the gen.

DSC00385.jpg

Great pics. Like most reps, its the dial face that always doesn't do it for me. The markers seem to be not aligned with the numbers and the 12 applied marker seems to be slightly crooked. The only applied marker dial face I've seen that is just as stunning and perfect as the gen has been the Ebel 1911 Panda chrono. The only problem with those is that of 3 I've bought in the past, ALL of them had a crooked B in EBEL.

It also seems the date wheel isn't centered but that should hopefully be not too bad of a fix.

Hey lani,

Great pics, but I was wondering as I've asked a dozen time before in other threads etc.: Is the datewheel the only thing you "fix" on this rep?

Where can I get a close-to-gen-rep with gen. ETA movement, if anywhere? :)

Thanks.

in this thread "Neverworn" has pics of his genuine..yes the date wheel is what need modding.. it was an overlay that was used.. so your existing date wheel would have to be taken down to accommodate the overlay

the eta meovement is genuine .. although that goes into the whole discussion of "servicing"

The AR is "The Best" out of all the good factory reps.. this one .. IMHO is the best... my Ti Ingy will be going to chief for sure though..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice pictures lani :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I use to wear my ingy with the deployment clasp and kevlarstrap that looks quite OK :whistling:

Then the watch is not so heavy to wear and is a nice contrast between the dial and the strap!

Still have not got a AR on it as I am a little afraid of getting scraches in the AR coating :wounded1:

Wear it well!

Ingies are awesome, but the clasp is very poorly made. I've had two, and it's a [censored] to get it to close. Yes, I've tweaked the spring, cleaned the pusher and oiled it. Not happening. May have to get the kevlar strap.

By the by, for whatever it's worth, I think there are two Ingy versions. One using a 2824 and the other (mine) using the 2836. Important to know if you're ever looking for a Lello datewheel.

IMHO, the rep AR on the Ingy is atrocious. The blue tint is so strong on some angles that it's ridiculous. Here's an old pic I found of mine. The blue/purple is far more intense in real life. Must get it to Chief pronto.

CIMG2779.jpg

Still, a fantastic watch. Love the Ingy.

Ingy0003.jpg

• 2 months later...

Lani - droolworthy pics man! Got the Ingy on my shortlist, love the rugged design. Just wonder what the opinion is on the newer versions, I hear the dial isn't as detailed?

While looking at the newer Ingy chronos with the A7750 movement I realised with the absence of a datewheel they might be a pretty reliable option too, any feedback on that?

Still leaning towards non-chrono with a Swiss ETA movement though, just wanted to hear some opinions before I make the plunge.

Thanks Lani/all - there's a wealth of info on the forum already.

• 4 years later...