When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jaeger LeCoultre: pictorial and review of a 1993 Master Control.

Stephane

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control : a 1993 example.

JLC_MasterControl_800_0002.jpg

Introduction.

JLC_MasterControl_800_0011.jpg

I'm the lucky owner of several watches.
Among them, some Rolex, probably my favourite brand, at least for Submariners or Date Just.

I have not a lot of experience with the other famous brands, even no experience at all with the manufactures.
One among them has always been a grail: Jaeger LeCoultre.

JLC_MasterControl_800_0016.jpg

The explanation is simple:

1) My mom owned one, which is now my sister's one and will be my niece one day.

FamilyOldWatches_800_01B.jpg

FamilyOldWatches_800_13B.jpg

2) I've been told that Jaeger LeCoultre was the only manufacture making their movements in house from A to Z. At least they were.
They are the source for some of the most famous other manufactures.

The watch.

JLC_MasterControl_800_0012.jpg

The Master Control has been launched in 1992 with a battery of tests procedure that guarantee the exceptional reliability and precision of the first Master Control 1000 Hours.

JLC_MasterControl_800_0010.jpg

It is delivered with a booklet, certifying the authenticity of the watch.
In this booklet, the owner can see the results of the 1000 hours of tests, the number of his watch and the signature and name of le maitre horloger that took care of his watch before it leaves the manufacture.

JLC_MasterControl_800_0003.jpg

Inside the watch.

Some famous calibers are based on Jaeger LeCoultre's 889: Vacheron Constatin, Audemars Piguet, IWC (Portuguese).
The 889 has been released in 1983. It is an automatique caliber, high beat and featuring a date quick set

Iwc891-2_Calibre889_800_001.jpg

I asked my new watchmaker to open the watch for me (I finaly found an artist, official watchmaker for several brands, next door to my house and from who I learn a lot which is not the case when one sends his watch to the official after sale dpt!)

JLC_MasterControl_800_0017.jpg

The movement is really stunning in my humble opinion.

JLC_MasterControl_800_0018.jpg

Some more:

JLC_MasterControl_800_0021.jpg

JLC_MasterControl_800_0020.jpg

The icing on the cake is the case back, manually engraved by Jaeger LeCoultre's watchmaker.
The same name as on the certificate of course and the date when he personally closed the watch!

JLC_MasterControl_800_0019.jpg
(Sorry, it's the best I could picture in the poor light of the watchmaker's atelier.)

The bracelet and clasp.

Well, I have to confess that this is really a poor quality bracelet.

JLC_MasterControl_800_0009.jpg

The clasp is very sexy though.

JLC_MasterControl_800_0008.jpg

The Master Control date design

I have been looking online at bargains of the new 40 mm version. So it lead me to try one at the local AD. Guess what: it was heavy in terms of design.

MasterControl41MM.jpg

The bezel is way to large for a dressy watch or simply for a classic Jaeger LeCoultre model.

I decided to hunt for the 37 mm one, and I must admit I was very lucky to find one on the german Rolex Forum.

JLC_MasterControl_800_0014.jpg

Unfotunately, the guy did not answer my first two emails. Here again I was lucky to have a good german friend who dealt with the seller in my name and yiiiipeee the deal was done.

Have a look at the details of the dial. So simple and yet so present.

JLC_MasterControl_800_0016.jpg

How about a side view?

JLC_MasterControl_800_0004.jpg

JLC_MasterControl_800_0004B.jpg

My feelings

I am so happy to own and wear a Jaeger LeCoultre.
Of course so am I when I wear a nice watch in general or one of my Rolex.

But there is something with Jaeger which is not happening with Rolex or even Omega: nobody notice it.
And, when it comes to compare to Rolex, nobody ask "is is a genuine one?"!!!

In short, I feel like a spoiled kid when it is on my wrist.
And I feel proud to own the same brand as my mom did.

Thanks for looking and reading.

Cheers

Stephane

Some information I wasn't aware of:

1929 World's smallest movement Caliber 101, barely 1 gram and composed of 74 parts. Still a record today!
1967 Jaeger-LeCoultre takes part in the creation of the first quartz wristwatch in watch making history, the Beta 2.

Some links worth clicking:

Caliber 889 detailed
Caliber 889's Regulator, Spring Stud, and Anti-Shock Mechanism
Jaeger LeCoultre History.

Probably the most complete history is here. Click

• Like 1

Fabulous pictorial, thanks a lot! And of course, congratulation on your purchase!

As you say, Jaeger LeCoultre still makes their movements in-house from start to finish, or at least most of them. After all they make 60 different ones; more, I think, than any other manufacturer and they supply them to most of the really high-end companies. Basically, if JLC were to disappear tomorrow, we'd see Vacheron, Patek, Audemars, Cartier, Glashütte and many more struck by panic, since that is who powers most of their product lines.

These guys are in a totally different league than Rolex, Omega and the other plebeian brands - Jaeger LeCoultre is haute horologie through and through, one of the few such companies still in existence today.

Hope you derive as much pleasure from your Master Control as I would, if I owned one. :D

• Like 1

Fabulous pictorial, thanks a lot! And of course, congratulation on your purchase!

As you say, Jaeger LeCoultre still makes their movements in-house from start to finish, or at least most of them. After all they make 60 different ones; more, I think, than any other manufacturer and they supply them to most of the really high-end companies. Basically, if JLC were to disappear tomorrow, we'd see Vacheron, Patek, Audemars, Cartier, Glash

I have no idea what your age is Sir, but I am 49.

I've yet to reach your elevated age, but I'm getting there (faster and faster, it seems...). The question, quite rightly, is whether I really want one. Today the answer is no (unless someone gives me one, that is), but if I ever buy a high-end gen, it will undoubtedly be a Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control.

I would go for the 40mm version though, since I feel that it is exactly the wide bezel which sets it apart from e.g. Vacheron's Patrimony, Patek's Calatrava and most other classic dress watches, making it more masculine and so easily distinguishable from the "herd". Which is just a personal opinion and of course in no way meant disparagingly in regards to your excellent choice.

Thanks again for the pictorial - it's so very nice to see someone present something that has real class and a timeless elegance amidst the heap of fashionable dross.

• 5 years later...