When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacement DSSD insert correct 10

The replacement insert for my DSSD arrived today.. it does have the correct 10 spacing and the triangle at the 12 is surprisingly a little more accurate. the pearl may be better on the Ultimate insert.. easy swap

it will take a bit of work for me to be 100 satisfied with the insert.. it is a factional of a mm too thick and sits to high on the bezel to be perfect.. I took it down a little .. I need to run to the store for some coarser grit sand paper.. that would make this a breeze to do .. since this is from a different maker the thickness is a bit thicker than the Ultimate insert.

zzzzzinsert002.jpg

The genuine triangle at the 12 does not hit the edge of the insert.. the Ultimate triangle is all the way to the

edge of the insert

71097831.jpg

zzzzzinsert.jpg

I think we can green light this one.. Perfect clones should have it listed now as I think this will work with a little sanding. Joshua sent this one for review, before posting it for sale.. and being that it is better than the insert available with the Ultimate and although it will take a little modding .. It should be an improvement over the existing insert.. beats waiting for another version.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC/Lani

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest techlogik

So it's Josh? How come he just doesn't ask for these inserts to be put in his Ultimates to begin with? Or they don't care what he says and asks for maybe...haha...

Curious on how you are going to remove the old bezel insert and then put the new one in....tutorial time!

I have to say it looks very good, but as you said, the pearl looks like the old one, they just got the spacing right. Pearl can be removed and put a watchmaker one it maybe, or swap it out like you also mentioned.

Thanks for the follow-up. Quick Newbie tech question - can you give some guidance on how to remove the insert and re-install it. Lastly, what type grit of sand paper do you recommend using. Thanks, Andrew

the easiest way is to remove the pearl.. you can do it pretty much with you fingernail (thumb) .. I just got 346U grit.. I was using 400 .. to fine.. get it as coarse as you can put the sand paper on a flat board and make circular motions with the insert.. shouldn't be too long before it is the right height.. kep sizing it in the bezel.. the lip of the bezel should be taller than the insert and the crystal should be taller also..

AC/Lani

So it's Josh? How come he just doesn't ask for these inserts to be put in his Ultimates to begin with? Or they don't care what he says and asks for maybe...haha...

From what I understand from Lani's other thread is that the insert actually comes from a different factory than the maker of the rep...hence why it's a separate item.

Hopefully Lani can confirm.

it was from a different source.. and I don't know the dynamics of the makers reasoning.. we can second guess it.. Josh did not plan to source these after the fact.. I requested it... so Joshua did not plan to use these.. and obviously the maker didn't or they would be in the Ultimate.. maybe the maker thought it was too much work to mod.. and they didn't think the offset 10 would be an issue..the dealers have to work with whatever maker is doing the project at the time and you can't always blow smoke in the Asian mind set..

but why not just ask Josh instead of playing the conjecture..haha.. :rolleyes:

The insert is held on the Ultimate with rubber contact cement.. so it is easily removed once the pearl is taken off the insert.

This may actually look better after the modding.. you can lower the insert a bit more next to the crystal..although my thumb is kinda raw.. you don't realize it when your in the moment.. :whistling:

Thanks mate

What grade did you use on the ceramic?

I'm going to have to get a different "type" of sand paper.. maybe one for metal.. the insert just slides along the one I got.. it's the only one the local store down the block had.. check with your hardware store and inquire about sand paper for hard plastics.. not wood...the sand paper I was using prior to running out to get a thicker grade would work if I wanted to spend all day on it.. but with the proper paper it should be easier with little time spent....it's almost there.. just a little more.. tomorrow..

edit add:.. I think the metal wet sand paper with high grit and jewelers rouge in the paper will do fine..

I'm going to have to get a different "type" of sand paper.. maybe one for metal.. the insert just slides along the one I got.. it's the only one the local store down the block had.. check with your hardware store and inquire about sand paper for hard plastics.. not wood...the sand paper I was using prior to running out to get a thicker grade would work if I wanted to spend all day on it.. but with the proper paper it should be easier with little time spent....it's almost there.. just a little more.. tomorrow..

edit add:.. I think the metal wet sand paper with high grit and jewelers rouge in the paper will do fine..

Once again mate Thank you, a few little words but very much meant :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Once again mate Thank you, a few little words but very much meant :thumbsupsmileyanim:

actually this one may be better as far as circumference, the genuine has a fraction of a mm space from the insert to the bezel.. i think I have it down enough now.. but maybe just a hair more below the bezel.. the crystal height is correct now.. just the proper sand paper and this will be a breeze..

I would recommend "rubber contact cement" and not epoxy.. so it'll be an easy off if needed..

Lani, emery paper would probably be the best thing to sand it down with. For others wondering on how to remove the insert I used the careful application of my heat-gun to the bezel and the glue softened up nicely and the insert was very easy to pry off with a razor blade. I then removed all of the glue residue from the bezel and secured the new insert with clear RTV.

I keep checking the mail for mine to come in. As far as sanding down the backside, I would use a figure 8 motion. As long as the edges look good, the rough back will give the clear RTV something good to hold on to- and I second the clear RTV as an adhesive which can be found at any auto store...

Guest techlogik

Lani, is the bezel insert actually wider than the metal itself? A shot of the bezel without the insert would be cool just to see.

I thought I saw a youtube video of a guy doing this with a V3. It looked like the insert hung over the metal bezel on the inside next to the crystal when installed?

Oh, and the guy would just pop the bezel off the watch with his bare fingers...must have had gorilla strength or something.

You can find the video on youtube, DSSD V3 modding...it's pretty interesting. The guy used gorilla glue.

Good stuff!

When you are done,just send me the entire watch....your experiment is done.

I will ship you one back with a lume job, swiss movement and wrong insert..you can play with it. :bangin:

Make sure it is silicone RTV sealant/adhesive. Some of the silicone sealants/gasket makers do not stick very well and make a poor adhesive.

For the sake of discussion and options a heat gun ..imo may not be needed.. actually it would cause more of a mess the adhesive that is on the insert hold pretty well but does not need to be heated and easily comes off once you remove the pearl, which is also easily done.

Second I use the "Elmers rubber cement" which is the same "type of adhesive" as the RTV you mentioned and can be applied to isolated area's and dries to a rubbery texture, so if and when I do remove the insert you can just remove the glue by rubbing it with a finger.this is the only insert that I do not snap in place all my other MBK's, BK's .. I use No glue what so ever..

and the sand paper will make a difference, the hard plastic just glides along too rough a surface.. wet sand paper for metal is the best for this one.. it is not like your common insert.. for those of you who have one in hand.. you will know what I mean..

@tech.. the guy probably had the bezel removed before he did his little "pop off" trick :lol:

Unless you sand down the bottom the inside of the insert, it will be flush with the crystal.

As stated, I would not use gorilla glue for the insert... not only is it very permanent and not needed,.. but the chance of it seeping down and freezing the function of the bezel is probable also..

and the sand paper will make a difference, the hard plastic just glides along too rough a surface.. wet sand paper for metal is the best for this one.. it is not like your common insert.. for those of you who have one in hand.. you will know what I mean..

So this bezel is plastic, not ceramic? Is that true with the one you took out?

Jack

So this bezel is plastic, not ceramic? Is that true with the one you took out?

Jack

The one I took out was rather soft, the outside seems to be ceramic but I don't know about the other half of the insert..

the replacement seems to be very hard, and if the sand paper is too coarse it will not shave off any material.. it just gets shinny, whatever it is ..it's quite hard.