When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Orig. Tag 2000 Professional Chrono - Broken Crown

consciousness

Hi All,

First posting in the Tag Forum. I own an Orig. TAG 2000 Professional Chrono. which has an issue with the crown. It seems to have separated from the stem, i'm not sure if any parts have been lost but i don't think so. The stem can be seen and is almost flush with the top of the tube, the spring is also present and slides over the stem inside the tube. The crown is completely hollow inside and so small that it is hard to see if there are threads inside for the screw-down feature.

Question is, can this be fixed by anyone inside this forum as i really don't have the funds to send it into TAG again, watch had a similar issue once before and cost $$$ to repair due to water getting inside and corroding the hands. BTW it is a quartz mov'mt.

Pics. attached (macbook, so not great quality)

Thanks in Advance.

post-22361-126303089728_thumb.jpg

post-22361-1263030912_thumb.jpg

post-22361-12630309495_thumb.jpg

I'm fixing the same model with the same problem right now!!

First off, make sure it's not just come unscrewed from the stem, take the stem out and try to rescrew the crown back onto it. If no joy there, the chances are that you will need either a new crown or stem or both! Is there still thread on the stem part? They can snap off inside the crown if you screw the crown in too tight when you adjust the time.

Look for those first, then we can see where you are from there?

Sixx :bones:

• 1 month later...

I had a similar issue with a IWC and fixed it with a stem extender - luckily I managed to grip a small part of the old stem in the crown with a pair of small pliers, and screwed it out. I then removed the broken stem from the watch, trimmed it down, screwed the stem extender onto the remains of the stem, then it was a case of trial and error, trimming a little off the stem at a time until it was the right length.

One of my fave reps repaired, for about 50 pence.

Where are you based, btw?

Richard

• 2 months later...

I'm fixing the same model with the same problem right now!!

First off, make sure it's not just come unscrewed from the stem, take the stem out and try to rescrew the crown back onto it. If no joy there, the chances are that you will need either a new crown or stem or both! Is there still thread on the stem part? They can snap off inside the crown if you screw the crown in too tight when you adjust the time.

Look for those first, then we can see where you are from there?

Sixx :bones:

Thanks Nikki6,

I still haven't really got round to repairing this one yet (wearing my Sinn 103 in the meantime) however took another look at it and kinda fixed it. Realized that the tube is in two parts, 3/4 the way up the tube is a groove, grabbing the top 1/4 i began to turn it anti-clockwise thus unscrewing it from the bottom part, great! Secondly i pulled on it, this stopped the watch, after much fiddling i realized i could not put the crown back on with the internal tube spring in place so i eventually gave up trying and tried screwing down the crown without the spring. Viola! the crown screws down!

I now have a watch i can wear, albeit without the full functionality of the chronograph, unfortunately when i push the buttons they act as if i am trying to reset them (like when they don't return to the normal positions after using the stopwatch). It will probably require a real watch repair man to really fix this now as the crown is now on and will no longer come off, i'm thinking the stem probably needs to be grabbed from inside the case to twist off the crown to fit the spring. For now i'll just wait till the battery needs to be changed and have it looked at then.

Thanks for your advice (and other members) it inspired me to tackle the problem again.

My humble collection: