When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pictorial Review: Casio MDV102

P4GTR

I made a thread about a month ago, saying I saw this watch, and thought it looked cool. Many members showed interest. A week ago I ordered one off of Ebay, and for less than $50 it is now on my wrist. Heres the verdict.

Casio MDV102 200M Diver

IMG_1061.jpg

I've found that I have no "beater" in my collection. I saw this watch on one of the watch forums, and when I researched and saw the price I knew I had found a ringer to fill that niche. Here's a watch that could stay strapped on for work, school and play. I mountain bike, swim, and although I haven't scuba dove in a few years, I desk dive 5 days a week. Every watch I own, sits on a microfiber pad and watches me do my job. Until now.

IMG_1066.jpg

I didn't even bother to mention the factory rubber strap, as its rubbish and got tossed aside immediately. If you wanted to use it for sport/thrashing, I don't see why you couldn't.

Most of the surfaces are polished, except for the tops of the lugs. The watch wears just a fraction larger then a Submariner with 22mm lug spacing instead of 20. Having worn my 16610 all day prior to this arriving at my door, the change over was rather unnoticeable.

IMG_1065.jpg

Domed mineral glass crystal, no AR.

IMG_1064R.jpg

There are no sharp edges to scrape yourself on. At first I thought they should've cut the bezel teeth sharper, then I realized it was purposefully smooth. The MDV will come in and out of your pants pocket without snags.

The overall fit and finish of the MDV102 is excellent. Screw down crown and caseback, nicely engraved. Solid stainless steel. Bezel rotation is tight, however there is rather sloppy play in between each of the 120 clicks.

IMG_1069.jpg

The button above the crown is non screw down, and when pressed will trigger a small white LED light at 12 and 6 that will remain lit for 2.5 seconds unless held down. Date window at 4 o'clock.

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

The Casio MDV102 is not an automatic. It carrys no pedigree, no COSC papers or swiss markings. It has no soul and tugs at no heart strings. Therefore it is perfect at its job. A classically designed and layed out watch you won't mind using and abusing. A dispensable tool watch with all the basic necessities.

IMG_1076.jpg

Wristshot

IMG_1079.jpg

Absolutely fantastic, I'm really glad you're pleased with it :good: I have a Casio diver's watch knocking about somewhere, which, should the worst come to the worst and everything else fails, would be pressed back into service :) As you say, no soul, no pedigree, but they do what they're meant to do, and just keep on ticking :) (once a second ;) )