When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So now dealers are selling gen watches!?

plaifender

I was looking at this as well. I must say that the pics look impressive and this is a model that I have been attracted to for a while. It sure is pricey and I don't know the gen price but I do have a catalogue somewhere. anyone know anything about these?

Gen price is between $5,000 and $6,000usd. There's a few new stainless steel gens on the bay for around that price

If they're real i should buy a couple and sell them online! the only thing you don't get is the box and papers!

Big discussion on RG over this. We have honkytonkman confirming that these are repped made in a close factory run of 500 pieces. Still trying to verify but to me that would sound more likely than genuine factory 2nds. Still a very high quality rep, best I've seen before

I'd think it's more likely too.. but why would Angus be seling them as GEN. He told me in his email that everything on the watch was gen except the buckle... here's an excerpt:

(Puretime's newsletter)

"Dear All,

We are having a good start in 2010, 100 new replica watches are updated in about 10 days only!

Please check out the new watches in Jan 2010 here:

http://puretimewatch.com/index.php?categoryID=306

The following are the key replica watches we have in the past week:

1. Cartier Santos-100 SS on Leather Strap ETA2892 (with Genuine parts)

Supplier claimed this watch has every parts genuine except the clasp (though the buckle also looks genuine to me lol). Even the protective films are genuine, but of course the watch is quite pricy. If you are an expert in Cartier watches, I think you will be interested in looking at the 21 high resolution images here:

http://puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=2131"

I think we all got that email mate ;)

Further discussion over at RG from PWC/T4D (dealer) that this is more than likely a rep of exceptional high quality and that such things have been in existance for sometime now, just in very low volumes.

And when have the dealers NEVER LIED to us before ;) (Gen swiss 2824s anyone?)

When I first saw this, I thought it might be gen just like the Versace watches they were selling some months back.

I would not be surprised to learn that the component parts of most Cartier watches (and many other brands) are actually made in China, then "finished" and "assembled" in Switzerland. As we all know, the definition of "Swiss Made" is incredibly lax. These may simply be assembled in China from gen component parts that have not been fully hand-finished by Cartier. The movement is likely a low grade base ETA movement with some basic decoration added by Chinese watchmakers, rather than the Cartier-assembled version of the ETA movement.

The finish on the movement is really bad. Likely a china copy of eta. The strap and buckle as well.

Does look like a 400 dollar watch. Cartier movements are very well finished.

I hope this helps, cheers.

Agreed.

Both (claimed) swiss eta 2892:

14.jpg

14.jpg

Seagull st18

ST18BACK.jpg

Note the pins on the bridges. And the regulator arm on the balance.

The so called GEN Cartier movement is most likely an st18.

Edited by slickdick

Unbelievableeeeee.........

Not sure I beleive it completely.. if it's genuine... it has to be stolen right? What the hell is going on? Everything genuine but the buckle?

How can this be happening? I'd love to be the guinea pig but for 1,500usd I'm not sure I want to risk it!

http://puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=2131

The movement thing is kind of interesting. However, the finish of the case is quite excellent in my opinion. Here's a couple of comparison pics:

"Supposed Gen"

CTR-ST100-SS-GEN-02.jpg

"$400 Rep"

CTR-ST100-SS-BLKLEA-ETA2824-02.jpg

Look at the finish of the screws. On the "gen" version, they look excellent. Also look at the rehaut and how much cleaner it looks on the "gen" version.

Here's a comparison of the crowns:

"Supposed Gen"

CTR-ST100-SS-GEN-03.jpg

"$400 Rep"

CTR-ST100-SS-BLKLEA-ETA2824-03.jpg

You can see the caseback pics on the underneath of these two pics. Again, fit and finish on the "gen" is superb! I have to admit that it's a great looking piece.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the pics we are looking at are not of the watch that you would actually get!