When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Crown & Tube in noob case?

itreeman

I want to upgrade a crown on a pair of noob cased subs to gen(or aftermarket). I have seen the generic crown tubes at Ofrei...once I remove the original noob crown tube are the threads in the case correct for the gen tube?

Will the ETA and/or a21j stem screw right into the new crown?

Also, is there anywhere I can get the complete crown tube with the seals as well as the crown for a good price? What part numbers am I looking for? This would be for a 16610 and maybe 14060 no date project (I assume 16610 and 14060 subs use the same crowns/tubes)?

Thanks in advance!

I had no trouble with this on my a21j Noob, direct swap. I think I remember having to "prune" the stem a few thou but that was it... I get "aftermarket" ones from parts4rolex on e-bay, they are aftermarket but look very good. I think I posted a thread with some pics after I put one on my Noob a while back...

Rolex part numbers are 24-703-0 for the crown and 24-7030-0 for the tube. I saw a gen case tube go for $10 on ebay last week! I've had good luck recently with the tubes from wholesaleoutlet990. Clark's Watch supply also sells decent ones. Before installing a tube, I clean out the threads with a 3.0mm x .35 tap. Also, on a noob case, it helps to countersink the case hole with a larger drill bit to seat the tube slightly into the case. This can wallow out the backside of the case slightly since the hole is positioned toward the bottom of the case to accomodate the 2836-2/DG2813 movement, but it has no other ill effects to my knowledge. I use a little blue loc-tite to seat the tube in the case, and a case tube wrench for installing the tube. But the tubes are delicate- I've snapped off more than one or two- that's why it's a good idea to run the tap all the way thru the case.

I was picking up crown (gen-used) for $20-30, but they may have gone up recently on ebay. Stem threads are the same for 2836/DG2813 and Rolex stems. But if a stem won't unscrew, you may need to apply a little heat, sometimes glue is used to keep them in the crown.

14060 and 16610 use the same parts.

I haven't tried jmb's parts4rolex crown/tube but we are seeing decent rep crown/tube assemblies in sub reps in the last year- WM9, Euromariners, and maybe we'll see more of the interchangeable rep parts in the future.

Thanks for the VERY informative replies guys...I really appreciate it.

jmb, do his crowns/tubes come with all the seals? Do his tubes have the teeth inside for screwing them in with the special tool?

alligoat, where can I find that tool for screwing the tubes in? Best I have found is about $35.00

Thanks again guys.

The tool for screwing in the case tube, 6mm, from Jules Borel, is STK1060 and yes, it is $35.00. But it is a much better tool than the tube wrench jmb shows above- which I also have and don't use anymore!

You can find the 3.0mm x .35 tap for $6-8 from an industrial supply place if you look around- google! The good news is that on a noob case, you don't have to drill the hole w/ a 2.65mm drill bit! But it is a good idea to clean the threads w/ a tap.

• 3 weeks later...