When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Unbranded replicas

qwerty4

I have just purchased an unbranded "homage" panerai and I love the idea of having a watch that is 95% the same but not a "fake". I'm probably in the minority here but I would be much more interested in replicas if they came unbranded. I'm assuming the majority of people that buy replicas do so because they like to show off or appear wealthy. One of my favorite watches is an Audemars Piguet rubberclad roo but I don't like the idea that I would be presenting myself as someone who would buy a 15 thousand dollar watch even if that seemed plausible. The best part about unbranded watches for me is that flaws no longer matter. What does everyone else think, Would you buy an unbranded replica?

• Like 1

Lots of fans of 'sterile' hommage watches here... They're great for the reasons you've cited; sometimes it's not about what's printed on the dial, but rather the design. Plus, they're a lot of fun (especially if building them). Lots of possibilities with modifications that one might not consider otherwise with a branded watch (rep or gen).

Interesting that you bring this topic up.. I was looking at what I named the UbiPilot.. and was going to slap it on today.. it's not about the branding for me as much as the design of a given piece.. ergo the Ubipilot is a sterile piece that has much character..

ubipilotpam089005.jpg

ubipilotpam089002.jpg

ubipilotpam089042.jpg

it still is a replica in the pure sense of the word.. but then if your concerned about "fakes" you'll miss a lot of great reps..in my humble opinion.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC/Lani

I agree about the sterile homages. There are so many nice watches being done. Eddie Platts' Speedbird III, homage to the IWC Mark XV. Orange Watch's Rollie sub homages. It is a great time to be playing with watches. Some of these watches can get pricey, but not much different than a super rep. And their chain of supply is a little more reliable and process control more consistent. The interesting part is, most of your friends that aren't into watches won't have a clue why you like it. There will generally be no oohs and ahs. On the other hand that Rollie or Panerai will get noticed by even the dumbest of your friends, well maybe not the Pan.

Bond Homage (I built this because building a plausible 6536 was not in the budget). There are also legitimate brands such as Invicta, Aplha, MkII, Debaufre that play in that game.

While not unbranded, they are essentially rip offs of the designs we know and love.

http://www.debaufre.com/content/view/318/213/

http://www.alpha-watch.com/subhome.php<br>

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=watch_collection.htm

9p1000084.jpg

9p1000097.jpg

I would never wear a Rolex in a million years but the one in the last I can actually appreciate rather than just dismissing it right away. I just wish they would make some of the super reps unbranded. Like how awesome would it be to have a Hublot Big Bang and be able to make it in any case/dial/bezel/band you wanted and not have to worry about its accuracy. I would even maybe consider watches like the AP Roo Survivor where as now it is completely out of the question. Well maybe not really because of the price lol.

I'm assuming the majority of people that buy replicas do so because they like to show off or appear wealthy.

That is a very poor assumption. I don't buy reps to appear wealthy or show off. I think that's the minority on here.

I buy reps because I am a fan of watches and their specific designs. While I do quite well in my profession...I also have responsibilities to my family and kids and I won't go broke buying all the types of watches I enjoy.

So, I own one Gen Rolex Sea Dweller....I own two Breitling Reps and one more on the way soon. I love the styling of certain watches and appreciate their beauty.

That is a very poor assumption. I don't buy reps to appear wealthy or show off. I think that's the minority on here.

I buy reps because I am a fan of watches and their specific designs. While I do quite well in my profession...I also have responsibilities to my family and kids and I won't go broke buying all the types of watches I enjoy.

So, I own one Gen Rolex Sea Dweller....I own two Breitling Reps and one more on the way soon. I love the styling of certain watches and appreciate their beauty.

lol I knew someone was going to pick on that one. I was debating whether or not I should make that more clear. Do you honestly think the majority of people buying a fake Rolex do it for any other reason than the brand name? That comment was not pointed directly at this forum. I am talking about rep buyers as a whole we are a vast minority in the rep world.

I like the look of many watches, branded or not. I own a number of Seiko's, like the Monster, where design and substance are way more desireable than whether or not it is expensive.

Many Pam styles look great whether the Panerai name is on the dial or not. So in many cases the name is unimportant.

On the other hand an Invicta, that looks like a Rolli sub does not appeal to me.

Many of my favorite watches, mostly Genta designs, appeal to me because of the look of the piece, not the name on the dial...period.

My all time favorite design, the PP Nautilus, is beautiful for the design and construction, NOT because it says Patek Phillipe on the dial.

I have just purchased an unbranded "homage" panerai and I love the idea of having a watch that is 95% the same but not a "fake". I'm probably in the minority here but I would be much more interested in replicas if they came unbranded. I'm assuming the majority of people that buy replicas do so because they like to show off or appear wealthy. One of my favorite watches is an Audemars Piguet rubberclad roo but I don't like the idea that I would be presenting myself as someone who would buy a 15 thousand dollar watch even if that seemed plausible. The best part about unbranded watches for me is that flaws no longer matter. What does everyone else think, Would you buy an unbranded replica?

You are not alone. Right now my collection includes unbranded watches too. One is a Panerai homage and the other an IWC homage. I am waiting on a B & R pvd homage. I enjoy owning non-branded watches as well as lower priced watches. I buy what I like and wear it. I have gens I like and wear along with a few high priced reps and frankens. biggrin.gif

Ronin, that is a sweet Bond homage. I agree with your take on the MkII's, modded Seikos, too, and they aren't too common. One of the problems with buying a more common branded homage(Debaufre, Invicta, etc), is that it shouts that you love the real deal, but couldn't afford it (even if you could). I could spend about as much for a Debaufre as a super rep, and it's just a Debaufre, whereas the super rep does have an inherent uniqueness to it. I'd rather have a sterile homage than a Debaufre or an Invicta, though they are not bad products (I hope no one flames me for saying that).

Interestingly, my daily beater is a Casio AMW 3200, analog digital faux diver--cheap, accurate, decent water resistance, dual time, stopwatch, rotating bezel, and I don't have to worry about it. It is what it is and I love the funtionality. So there must be something going on other than just snob appeal, but I have to admit I'm looking forward to my super sub rep, and I love my Narikaa PO, too.

Bond Homage (I built this because building a plausible 6536 was not in the budget). There are also legitimate brands such as Invicta, Aplha, MkII, Debaufre that play in that game.

To me, the branding is just a detail of accuracy. If that's how it should look, that's how it should look, nothing to do with passing it off as the real thing, and I don't think any of the long-term members of the community would ever even consider doing such a thing. I prefer sterile homages over the branded clones like Alpha watches, simply because they true to the spirit and aesthetic of the original, where the branded clones really have just ripped off an existing design, tweaked a few details so as not to get sued, and then slapped their own branding on it. To me, that's not creativity, and morally worse than something which is (intended to be) an actual reproduction in every way... Interesting topic of discussion, thanks for raising it :victory:

+1 on the wouldn't buy an Invicta. I'm not quite sure why but I love these sterile dials. http://www.dajiwatch.com/Product_Show.asp?ArticleID=249 That looks awesome and is roughly half the price for the same watch offered from our dealers. I'm surprised there are as many "homages" available as there is but I just wish the higher dollar reps would follow. The design of watches today is usually so busy that removing a name would hardly be noticeable. Take this watch for example http://www.trustywatchguy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_137&products_id=5773 Removing the Breitling and moving the chronometre certifie upwards would be unnoticeable to the majority of people.