When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub Eta 2836-2 Auto Running

Bluray

Hey guys took my Sub off the other night on vacation and did not wear it for about 18 hours roughly and it stopped?I had it a few weeks and never tested this, is this normal? How long should it go before it stopped? It is the Swiss Eta 2836-2 movement as well by the way.

It also makes a noise inside when I shook it to get it going, not loud but should you be able to hear anything? Hope these are not somewhere else on the fourm answered but I have not brought anything up in the searh related.

Thanks to anyone to can enlighten me on these questions! :)

hmm well I was wearing it off and on for a couple days prior so maybe it just was not wound well from the infrequent use, is that possible? It is Joshs Classic I have by the way as well. I am going to leave it and let it sit to see when it stops, but in the meantime if anyone can offer some additional info that would be great too.

OK maybe I missed something then? The automatic can be wound? I thought just wearing it was the only way it could be wound. So just undo the crown and wind towards the 12 like any watch and it will stop on its own when it is fully wound? Sorry I should perhaps have known this but may have been confused. :bangin:

Most automatics can be wound manually. I've read cautions from The Zigmeister that you should take care in winding this model, wind it slowly because of potential damage to the click mechanism (that's my recollection, you might want to search, there are several posts). Other respected sources say go ahead and wind it - that's what they're made for. I've had my ETA sub for over a year, and wind it all the time. It keeps great time and I've never had a problem with it.

Some autos cannot be wound, like the movement in the Seiko Orange Monster. I would love that model, but the winding issue and the fact that it does not stop the second hand when you pull out the crown (hacking), has kept me from it.

My own sub rep has a power reserve of about 36 to 40 hours on a full wind, if you need something to compare to.

One other thing. You can't overwind an automatic watch. There is a clutch that disengages the winding mechanism from the main spring when it is fully wound. (Sorry for the clumsy technical terms, but you get the point.) The crown won't stop when it's done, but you may hear a tiny click if you listen hard. You can keep winding all day and not know when it's wound up, so a general rule of thumb is about 30 to 50 turns should get it there.

Most automatics can be wound manually. I've read cautions from The Zigmeister that you should take care in winding this model, wind it slowly because of potential damage to the click mechanism (that's my recollection, you might want to search, there are several posts). Other respected sources say go ahead and wind it - that's what they're made for. I've had my ETA sub for over a year, and wind it all the time. It keeps great time and I've never had a problem with it.

Some autos cannot be wound, like the movement in the Seiko Orange Monster. I would love that model, but the winding issue and the fact that it does not stop the second hand when you pull out the crown (hacking), has kept me from it.

My own sub rep has a power reserve of about 36 to 40 hours on a full wind, if you need something to compare to.

One other thing. You can't overwind an automatic watch. There is a clutch that disengages the winding mechanism from the main spring when it is fully wound. (Sorry for the clumsy technical terms, but you get the point.) The crown won't stop when it's done, but you may hear a tiny click if you listen hard. You can keep winding all day and not know when it's wound up, so a general rule of thumb is about 30 to 50 turns should get it there.

Thanks man very helpful, and I am finding some other posts now actually with this info. :)

How do you know when an eta-2836-2 is fully wound though? I read The Zigmeisters info on the maintenance of the autos and know you cannot "overwind" the watch do to the clutch mech but I still am not sure how to tell when I should stop winding it? What does is sound like when its fully wound?

• 2 years later...
It should go fshshshshshshshshshsh...rkrkrk or similar.

Also, 18 hours is a little short. I'd expect over 36.

I hear nothing of the sort on mine.

When I wind mine it sounds raspy.....kinda like a gritty paste is inside.

Sure dont near this Fshfshfsh then the rkrkrk of the wind, it just sounds like a spring loaded "wobble" of metal blade and

a lot of clanking about and rattles!

Mines is meant to be an Gen ETA 2836-2