When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Staking tool (II). Repairing hand tubes.

One of the tortures of repairing reps is the quality of hands; many times this quality is very poor. Some times, when removing the hand, the hand tube is no longer attached to the body of the hand.

Here follows a couple of pictures of a IWC Cousteau rep with this problem:

img3682.jpg

img3683t.jpg

As seen, that hand tube and its hole in the hand are extremely small. Repairing this fail is very difficult if the correct tools are not employed. I had some very bad experiences. However, by using a staking tool this task is now easy.

img3624o.jpg

The hand tube is placed in that skating tool, in one of the smallest holes. The tube for the output pin, upwards.

img3684p.jpg

img3685l.jpg

The hand is placed over the tube and the correct STACK is employed, with a small hit.

img3686a.jpg

img3687.jpg

The hand is now repaired:

img3688s.jpg

Regards,

Francisco.

Thanks for this whole set of tutorials. I've read how to do this work, but now seeing all these different examples and the photos really makes things much clearer.

If you have any recommendations for a cheap staking set that would work, that would be great.

You really are creating quite the collection of technical information that is really really appreciated.

Great tuto, Francisco!

And now I know one thing that "box full of things" is good for. I know an old watchsmith who's trying to sell me one of these boxes (exactly like yours), which he calls "puncioneira" (in portuguese) - puncher (the closest I can come up with in english). Would you mind telling me what exactly is this boxset of tool?

And as a comment to your tutorial, as I lack the correct set of tools, I have succesfully used hypodermic syringes of approppriate caliper cut to the required length as a repair of hand tubes. These syringes, coupled with acupuncture needles, are quite handy for the practioner watchsmith that lacks the resources of original parts and who needs a quick solution/workaround. Just yesterday I broke one of the springs of a yoke spring, which was quickly repaired/replaced by a piece of 0.30mm acupuncture needle.

Both sets looks very nice.

BTW, if some stakes are missed, you can do the following:

1.- you can buy stakes spares. For example, cousinsuk is selling bergeon spares.

2.- the stakes has to be un-tempered.

3.- turn the pin diameter to fit your rotating base.

4.- Temper again.

I made that with one bergeon stakes that my set did not have it.

Regards,

Francisco