When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Staking Tool (III). Making smaller the hand tube.

This tuto shows another application of the staking tool. Again the problem is the bad quality of some rep hands. When removing hands may happen that:

1.- The hand tube is not attached any longer to the hand. Here is explained how to repair it:

2.- The hand tube has after removing the hand has a larger inside diameter and hand is loose after re-installation. This is a common problem, especially with central chrono hand of 7750 movements. In this tuto is shown how to solve this problem with a staking tool.

Follows an AP navy

I found a pretty good staking set on the bay for pretty cheap. It's a Moseley and it comes with 80 punchs and the staking tool looks to be in immaculate condition.

It ends tomorrow. Thanks again for posting this!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Another question for you: is there a good hand remover tool that you can recommend? I have an swiss presto style hand remover from Boston Watch Exchange, but it's kind of fallen apart.

Francisco, Can you show what the bottom of the punch looks like? Is it a concave jewel pusher?

Also, what about when the hour and minute hands get sloppy loose? What would you use to tighten them?

yes, concave tip with hole. the concave shape makes smaller the tube. There are sizes for hour and minute hands. A picture follows:

img3645k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great info Francisco and thanks so much for taking the time to write and photograph these pieces.

As the master of staking tool info on this forum (:thumbsupsmileyanim:), I'm hoping you can answer a couple questions:

- How do you know which size bits to use for these jobs? Redwatch and I bought staking sets with a number of concave bits, so how do you know which one is the right one for sizing to the Swiss or Asian movements?

C487.jpg

- In your other tutorial, the hand tube of the second hand was reattached with the staking set, how would you size the base and the stake to REMOVE the hand tube (for example, to do a swap of the tubes between sets of hands?

- Finally (for now... :whistling: ), The Zigmeister did this great tutorial HERE on using a lathe to modify a pocket watch hour wheel and attach an ETA hour tube and cannon pinion to the pocket watch hour wheel.

- Do you think there is any way to retrofit the cannon pinion and/or hour wheel on a pocket watch movement to fit the ETA hands using a staking set?

Thanks for any info!!

Great info Francisco and thanks so much for taking the time to write and photograph these pieces.

As the master of staking tool info on this forum (:thumbsupsmileyanim:), I'm hoping you can answer a couple questions:

- How do you know which size bits to use for these jobs? Redwatch and I bought staking sets with a number of concave bits, so how do you know which one is the right one for sizing to the Swiss or Asian movements?

C487.jpg

I DO NOT KNOW. yOU HAVE TO STRETCH THE TUBE, SO YOU HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHICH ONE IS BETTER.

- In your other tutorial, the hand tube of the second hand was reattached with the staking set, how would you size the base and the stake to REMOVE the hand tube (for example, to do a swap of the tubes between sets of hands?

I WOULD REMOVE THE TUBE FROM DOW TO UPSIDE WITH A FLAT PUNCHER

- Finally (for now... :whistling: ), The Zigmeister did this great tutorial HERE on using a lathe to modify a pocket watch hour wheel and attach an ETA hour tube and cannon pinion to the pocket watch hour wheel.

- Do you think there is any way to retrofit the cannon pinion and/or hour wheel on a pocket watch movement to fit the ETA hands using a staking set?

NO. I DO NOT THINK SO.

Thanks for any info!!

THANKS FOR READING.