When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Not Sunday Close-Ups

Guest ThePhilosopher

Extremely beautiful.......the photos ooze elegance! Is that light coming from the lamp in the photo? I have seen some of your work - amazing esp the "sunday close ups".

Im currently using a Canon Ixus compact, considering a DSLR soon, been looking at the Canon 500D, Nikon 5000D or Pentax Kx (same sort of specs and proce ranges).......any advice as a professional? :)

Guest ThePhilosopher

The light is from a Bowens 500ws monolight through a 3'x4' softbox powered with a Vagabond II. I only know about Olympus and Nikon cameras extensively. I wouldn't buy a D5000, period (or a D40, D60, nor the D3000). It's easier to inform based on a budget than throw out suggestions. I shoot a D200 which can be had for $650 on a good day, but my lenses are $900+ each (except the Tamron 90mm macro). A Nikon D70s is still a great camera, the Canon 40D is a good camera as well. My next body will be a D3 or D700.

I love my 40d. I have been toying with the idea of picking up a 50d since I can trade in my original DRebel and pick it up for something like 600 or the 50d kit for 800. Personally if you don't have money invested in lenses go out and try the cameras and decide on what ones you like and find easy to navigate around in the menus. Both Nikon and Canon would be great brands.

40d.

Canon 40D on the tripod

original digital rebel.

Image(313)

Hey Philosopher! Another two great shots.......I prefer the lighting in the first two and the stairs (they give a better skin tone I think) The third one Emily looks a little pale (would make a great vampire photo though hehe).

Thanks for the advice re the cameras as well. Its SO confusing. Your thoughts on the EOS 500D? ;) Budget hmmmm I'd say $1K.....

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Edited by OSRep

Guest ThePhilosopher

Sinar Alpina 4x5 w/Schneider Xenar 150mm f/5.6, 1/250@f/8, expired Plus-X 125 shot at ISO100 developed in T-Max 1:4 for 8 minutes. Lighting is a Bowens 500w/s monolight through a 3'x4' softbox:

EmilyA_F_002.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest ThePhilosopher

Thanks man - I'm trying to emulate some successful ad campaigns, but still keep them my style. Some of these campaigns make me want to :bangin: myself

• 1 month later...
Guest ThePhilosopher

Ashley at the beach a week ago; click each for full-size. EXIF is after each image.

AshleyW_0023.jpg

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION

Camera Model: NIKON D3

Lens: 80.0-200.0 mm f/2.8

Image Date: 2010-05-15 07:56:54 -0500

Focal Length: 200.0mm (35mm equivalent: 200mm)

Aperture: f/5.6

Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)

ISO equiv: 200

Exposure Bias: none

Metering Mode: Spot

Exposure: Manual

Exposure Mode: Manual

White Balance: Manual

Light Source: Unknown

Flash Fired: No

Color Space: sRGB

AshleyW_0076.jpg

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION

Camera Model: NIKON D3

Lens: 80.0-200.0 mm f/2.8

Image Date: 2010-05-15 08:26:46 -0500

Focal Length: 80.0mm (35mm equivalent: 80mm)

Aperture: f/8.0

Exposure Time: 0.020 s (1/50)

ISO equiv: 200

Exposure Bias: none

Metering Mode: Spot

Exposure: Manual

Exposure Mode: Manual

White Balance: Manual

Light Source: Unknown

Flash Fired: No

Color Space: sRGB

Edited by ThePhilosopher

• 4 weeks later...

Nope no oil yet.

Here's a seemingly normal image, but click the link for full-size - 26 image pano.

Pano_200mm_0001.jpg

Thats one focused Pinus sylvestris....snail and crack is there too

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That is lovely, its not often I see a photograph that makes me feel like I am actually there.... very nice :)

I wish I understood what you mean by that shutter speed.....I asume from the pics its a slowed down action of taking the photo? Is that something I could do on my camera? Which is just a family camera. Its a Samsung 10.2Mp WB500. I looked in the manual but to be honest it doesnt really say much apart from charging pointing and auto options.

I would love to do that with the hand movement on my watches!! I assume the camera could make the hand look continous on a full rotation.

Anyway regardless those are great photos Thankyou :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim: