When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Homemade Watchmakers Bench

redwatch

Hi Folks,

Been searching and searching for a table top bench to work on watches. I have found several versions of this one:

Screenshot2010-01-31at113521AM.png

That one would be fine, but I really don't need the drawers or storage space as I am also looking for a nice wood machinists tool box. Any interesting table top solutions out there?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ikea do this.

post-13-126499896781_thumb.jpg

Think they were only around$20, but only available in the USA.(Couple of years ago- it was discussed here.)

I use a plastic box with drawers at my market stall to get better height, but it is very flexible,(too much give) so not really what is needed.

My home bench is an old computer desk (with keyboard slide out-very useful), sitting on bricks to get it higher.

post-13-126499941627_thumb.jpg

I built a large hutch for the back and have shelving each side...and still haven't got anywhere enough storage.

I have seperate benches for grinder/polisher, testers- (WP and quartz circuit) and microscope.

Storage, light and height are my important criteria.

Bench area can be surprisingly small, (and it makes you continually clean after each job!

O/S

EDIT: I just checked again and this Ikea unit and a number of other versions,(different drawer configs) are now in Oz. $24.99 each.

Trouble is, IMO, you really need something wide enough to rest your arms on. Maybe it's just me, but I think something that small would be uncomfortable. When I'm tinkering, I just use a regular desk and a short chair. :)

You know, that's not a bad idea. Just drop my chair lower :D Of course, the one nice thing about the little table top bench is that you are sitting properly, and it has the rails around the sides and back to prevent bits from rolling off the work surface. Maybe the trick is to build a little desk top board with rails along the side and lower the chair too?

I just got a nice Dazor drafting light on the bay for $9.99 so I've got a good light to work with now :thumbsupsmileyanim:

They have some pretty good looking stuff there for the home work shop, the table top solutions are very good, like the tool rack and organizer. The work benches look great for the price you would just need to make them higher. I bet the postage to the EU is a bit much though

I went through a similar predicament a few months back. However, I decided to temporarily go with a sub-$50 computer desk. That way if I turn out to be all thumbs, one less thing I have money tied up in.

Check this link out if you want to go all out: http://www.shorinter...com/benches.htm

That Marketworks link also caught my attention for their seemingly good prices.

One other thing I thought of was an older "Roll Top" desk. They have nice cubbys usually, and being able to "close" off the work area seems like a good idea. Check Craigslist.

I've decided to make my own table top bench. I don't need it to be quite as high as they have. I am going to make one that is 30" wide by 15" deep and overall height will be 6.5" high. Deciding whether or not to make it out of maple, oak or mahogany. I don't need all of the storage either. I just want a work surface that's a little higher than my desk and that I can remove and put away when i'm not using it. I came up with a rough CAD drawing for it and my machinist friend is going to cut all the pieces so i can assemble and finish myself.

Here's a picture of what I'm going to assemble:

Screenshot2010-02-01at10608PM.png

Please let me know your thoughts or opinions :D

if you are going to make it your self then i think it should be larger, also think about arm rests, below is a bergeon professional desk that i use when i go to school in the uk, It is height adjustable, it is also about 4 foot wide

DSC01390.jpg

As a table top, you may want to think about a triangular design so you can rest you arms on the table it is on

Arm rests is an interesting idea, or triangular. As for the size, I am unfortunately limited to only about 30" wide for it to fit comfortable on my current desk without taking over the whole thing. I may revisit the plan though and change the front end a little bit. Hmmmm......you have me thinking now..... :g:

If you can DIY, then definitely. :good: As for wood choice, maybe go with the 'softer' wood as it will have less bounce when dropping small metal objects. Not sure how much of a difference that will really make. Just a thought.

If you can DIY, then definitely. :good: As for wood choice, maybe go with the 'softer' wood as it will have less bounce when dropping small metal objects. Not sure how much of a difference that will really make. Just a thought.

I think I am going to go with Oak for this one. Keep with a nice, vintage kind of look like the older Gerstner Machinists tool chests (which are absolutely stunning!)

With v2 of the bench, the front area is 14" wide which is the standard width for the green bergeon style rubber mats.

I think that would be more comfortabel, More storage called for i would say. Get a watch smiths mat from AF (green antistatic matt) and i would maybe recommend a rounded grove on the edges with out a trim around them to stop things rolling off.

If you are having a drawer that comes out the front, it would be good for two that comes out the sides particularly for tools or at least a tool stand, like a slide out plate with holes for tools like dust blowers that roll around the desk

@Red,

If you are going to start building things, I have a piece of flat timber cut to fit exactly on my bench top.

To this I have mounted case holder, vices, and a movement holder.

When I need to work with one of these, I just take it from beside the desk and put it on the bench top.

Saves a bit of clutter.

Also makes me clean up again - to get it onto the bench!

O/S

Love the new design. (I would be interested if you want to make 2) :whistling:

One key thought. Go deeper. My current work surface is 20" deep without elbow rests. By the time you add a lamp, etc, the extra depth is nice to have. I would say take your 10.3812 measurement out closer to 15.

:good:

Awesome input guys! Thanks!

@ Ronin, I wanted to go deeper, but for my desk area, I can't. I have a computer desk with a riser on the back of it to get my computer monitors up higher. So 15" is as deep as I can go.

A slide out drawer or tool holder is a pretty interesting idea. Or I guess I could just mount something on the sides to hold the blower and random things. Hmmm..... :g:

Awesome input guys! Thanks!

A slide out drawer or tool holder is a pretty interesting idea. Or I guess I could just mount something on the sides to hold the blower and random things. Hmmm..... :g:

@Red,

May be worth going on to the NAWCC watchmakers forum, and searching bench or work bench.

I remember there were some pretty interesting designs, and 1 guy had designed a couple of clip on "outriggers",as bins and plier and screwdriver holders. The Timezone watchmakers forum may have some stuff too.

Also think about having a drop sheet attached to the bench, that can spread out onto your lap. (I just drawing pinned a tea towel to the bench and throw it onto my lap as I sit down) You will be amazed at how much you catch!

O/S