When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any good quartz watches out there? A "Best Quartz" list....

Panther917

I know, I know.....A "Best Quartz" list? :o Blasphemy!!!! I completely agree from a purist POV, but from a practical POV, I am looking for a couple of decent quartz watches to keep as simple reliable accurate time keepers.....Just something that as RONCO says, "Set it....And forget it....." Something that you can pick up at any time and have an accurate time. Maybe something to keep in your watchcase that will "fit in" with your higher end reps that you can use to keep everything set to the correct time. Maybe something you can use at the gym or other sporting activities and not have to worry about the movement. Just a good ole, slap a battery in the sucker and let 'er run...

Before we begin, I already own a couple of Japanese dive watches that are great....aka Seiko Monster, Various Orient & Citizens, etc...I know there are some great quartz watches out there that are fantastic for this purpose. However, I'm more curious about the rep world and if there are versions available that look good.

I'd like to limit this to Quartz Rep versions (either sport or dress) of:

1) Higher end Quartz Gens (ie. Breitling Colt, Omega 300m/DeVille, Rolex Cellini, MontBlanc Sport, Tag F1/Aquaracer, etc...)

2) Higher end mechanicals (doesnt matter what type, just a good looking quartz version)

I have done some searches and haven't found a good all inclusive list of Quartz reps. Doesn't matter whether you have a suggestion for a sport watch or a dress watch, just list your suggestion and why you like it and how you feel about the overall "look" of the watch compared to the truer higher end rep or gen version. I know they all tick, not the issue here....Just trying to build a list of Quartz options with good case design, nice bracelet, good weight and dial layout.

I dont know if there is any interest amongst you purists out there but this is my first thread on RWG so try to keep the intent of the thread in mind before you blast me out of the water.....:snorkel:

Thanks in advance,

-Murph'

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres some good quartz watches out there mate,like you say SET and FORGET.

I wanted this PO so bad but i didnt like the dial spacing on the 7750 and i didnt trust the modded one so i got it in quartz,

the quality is amazing all round.

I liked it so much i got myself a quartz SMP aswell.

wristshots007.jpg

wristshots005.jpg

Wow! Love that SMP, never really looked at that before, really sharp. And of course, the PO is one of my all time faves....I have the non-chrono 42mm from Reg with black bezel and orange numbers.

Great suggestions....I'll start the list with these two. Any others out there?

HACKR i love that breitling!!! and the ebel is very cool but man that ana-digi really does it for me. where did you get that? is it the real deal? it looks awesome. i too would like to know where i could find some higher end quartz reps. on most of the sites ive seen, these have not been listed. not that i know of anyway.

Edited by elvis

I don't have this one anymore but it was the second rep I ever purchased. Since I didn't trust a seconds at 6 Daytona this seemed a logical choice. It was one of watcheden/idolreplicas advertised "Same chassis as 7750" versions. The only reason I got rid of it was I found a seconds at 9 Daytona so that satisfied my chronograph needs and this was the only non-Rollie watch in the drawer and I really didn't like the band styling. It was very well made, had good weight, and kept scary accurate time! This pic was right after unpacking it so pardon it being dirty.

tag_link 1.JPG

tag_link 2.JPG

tag_link 3.JPG

tag_link 4.JPG

Theres some good quartz watches out there mate,like you say SET and FORGET.

I wanted this PO so bad but i didnt like the dial spacing on the 7750 and i didnt trust the modded one so i got it in quartz,

the quality is amazing all round.

I liked it so much i got myself a quartz SMP aswell.

wristshots007.jpg

wristshots005.jpg

I also purchased the Omega PO quartz, It was my first rep. It Is a very good looking watch and because of the quartz movement you have no sunkin date wheel or sub dial spacing Issues, aesthetically It's close to perfect. The problem with me was after about two weeks I could not wear the watch anymore. I felt like a poster child for the fake watch committee :nea: no thanks. I dont mind wearing a quartz at times but It has to be the correct movement. The Omega PO Is not made with a quartz, so Im not comfortable with this replicated version. To each his own, maybe that wont be a problem for you, then again :unsure: There are some nice quartz reps out there, Im sure you will fine something you like, Tag has some nice ones, good luck :) Mike (ps) I just purchased the 7750 version and I cant take It off, cant beat that sweep :pardon:

I guess from the pictures the chrono is not working? And seconds at 6, not 9?

Had been cool to read a full review on these :)

How can you tell from the pictures the chronos are NOT WORKING?????

If it was an asian movement 21j they would be FAUX chronos....

But since we are talking about QUARTZ...of course they work :clapping:

I also purchased the Omega PO quartz, It was my first rep. It Is a very good looking watch and because of the quartz movement you have no sunkin date wheel or sub dial spacing Issues, aesthetically It's close to perfect. The problem with me was after about two weeks I could not wear the watch anymore. I felt like a poster child for the fake watch committee :nea: no thanks. I dont mind wearing a quartz at times but It has to be the correct movement. The Omega PO Is not made with a quartz, so Im not comfortable whith this replicated version. To each his own, maybe that wont be a problem for you, then again :unsure: There are some nice quartz reps out there, Im sure you will fine something you like, Tag has some nice ones, good luck :) Mike (ps) I just purchased the 7750 version and I cant take It off, cant beat that sweep :pardon:

I own 7750s aswell mate but for me,if it looks good,im wearing it.and it does!!!

That "poster child for the fake watch committee" comment is a bit strange!!!a bit of a back door slagging!!!!!

Its a rep wether the hands sweep or not.

How can you tell from the pictures the chronos are NOT WORKING?????

If it was an asian movement 21j they would be FAUX chronos....

But since we are talking about QUARTZ...of course they work :clapping:

I just thought the position of the subdials were wrong, but it's mabe only me :) I thought the seconds dial is supposed to be at 9. My bad :)

If they're working, thats great!

Edited by space

I was under the impression that there really isn't a true 1:1 rep, of any type....Whether it is $50 or $1000, there are still going to be some differences between the gen and rep....I may be wrong, but, that has been my understanding thus far in the month I have been learning....

So whether you are the "posterchild for fake watches" or "just a watch enthusiast that can appreciate a fine design but didn't want to drop $10,000 on this hobby". Either way, isn't it really about how you approach the hobby and what you are looking to get out of it? I'm not knockin' you bro....I'm just sayin'....

I know quartz isn't as romantic as an automatic, but sometimes the problems I have had with auto's is a pain in the ass. They lose time, and are more maintenance which is fine if you want to put in the effort. I love the watch designs themselves, not so obsessed with the engines, if they look and operate how they should I'm a happy camper.

BTW I have a Graham quartz on order, will post a review when it lands.

Edited by opti

This was one of my first reps. From Richard Lawton. Quartz 1911 chrono. Fairly "accurate" for a quartz cheapie and a nice quality feel. In many ways I wish I still had this... it's called nostalgia. :)

S5300030.jpg

I guess the best quartz reps are TAG Heuer F1 and Indy. Check the TAG Guide from TAG section.

This was one of my first reps. From Richard Lawton. Quartz 1911 chrono. Fairly "accurate" for a quartz cheapie and a nice quality feel. In many ways I wish I still had this... it's called nostalgia. :)

S5300030.jpg

I guess the best quartz reps are TAG Heuer F1 and Indy. Check the TAG Guide from TAG section.

Now THAT is a good looking quartz rep....Sharp!!! Closest thing I found from all the usual website dealers was this, but yours looks much better...I understand that a lot of quality watches are probably not going to be found in a quartz though, so no real surprise...Good call By-Tor, thanks!

acb4eca1ae3641a41d4fc6c4cddcf733.image.733x550.jpg

I own 7750s aswell mate but for me,if it looks good,im wearing it.and it does!!!

That "poster child for the fake watch committee" comment is a bit strange!!!a bit of a back door slagging!!!!!

Its a rep wether the hands sweep or not.

Well let me put It this way. There are really good reps and there are reps that are just ok, I choose the latter.If Im going to wear a watch thats Is supposed to be a high end Swiss timepiece then I want It to look the part. When your second hand Is ticking you look like a person (Imo) who dosent know a thing about watches or the movements In them. In other words you look like a poser, and not a good one at that. I think It looks silly. This Is how I feel about the subject. As far as the "back door slagging"??? my romance habits are no business of yours sir :g: It's about choices, and I choose to have the correct movement In the watch that Im wearing. If people dont have a problem with this thats fine, more power to them. I dont mind wearing a rep but I dont like wearing a cheap rep. The $7000.00 Panerai with a $25.00 quartz movement In It just dosent do anything for me. Sometimes It's the untangible things that mean the most. It's not just how It's looks but how It feels that can make all the difference to someone. Mike

I was under the impression that there really isn't a true 1:1 rep, of any type....Whether it is $50 or $1000, there are still going to be some differences between the gen and rep....I may be wrong, but, that has been my understanding thus far in the month I have been learning....

So whether you are the "posterchild for fake watches" or "just a watch enthusiast that can appreciate a fine design but didn't want to drop $10,000 on this hobby". Either way, isn't it really about how you approach the hobby and what you are looking to get out of it? I'm not knockin' you bro....I'm just sayin'....

It's about choices for me. I dont like to wear something that looks painfully obvious. But It's not just how It looks but how It feels. The quartz watches look great but that ticking seconds hand Is something I just cant deal with, so I dont. But thats just my opinion and has no reflection upon you, good luck :) Mike

Closest thing I found from all the usual website dealers was this, but yours looks much better...

murph - from the looks of by-tor's and silix's pix, i would say they are the same watches...you have to remember 2 things:

1) by-tor's pix are exceptional!...

2) dealer pix are generally horrible!...

R-

Well let me put It this way. There are really good reps and there are reps that are just ok, I choose the latter.If Im going to wear a watch thats Is supposed to be a high end Swiss timepiece then I want It to look the part. When your second hand Is ticking you look like a person (Imo) who dosent know a thing about watches or the movements In them. In other words you look like a poser, and not a good one at that. I think It looks silly.

Why do you feel the need to have a dig?

Everyones opinion is valid,if you dont agree with mine thats cool but why do you feel that you have to come in with the snide comments?

hey - the value of this community is its diversity...everyone's opinion is different, everyone's circumstances are different, everyone's "world" is different, everyone's taste is different...

i proudly owned and wore AP, Ebel and Hublot quartz reps...in my "world", not a damn person i come in contact with knows anything about these brands...these are value reps in my collection - as i don't want to shell out higher dollars for ones that are automatic and replimanically more accurate...i wear them because i like their looks/style...i wear/own them because i want to "test drive" whether i like their look and feel...at the end of the day, i only need to "impress" me...

i sold the AP and Hublot because i tired of them...no big loss...i sold the Ebel because i knew if i had the quartz one, i wouldn't be tempted to buy the 'panda' automatic i definitely want...i 'test-drove' these quartz models...the Ebel is one i want to upgrade, the others not...that's just one of my strategies - and it works for me...

R-