When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any good quartz watches out there? A "Best Quartz" list....

Panther917

Great topic! I wish they made more high quality quartz reps of quartz GENS, but sadly, they are few and far between. The best one I am aware of is the Swiss quartz version of the Porsche Design Flat Six with the same-as-gen ETA split-seconds movement. It is probably the closest to 1:1 rep I have ever seen. It's indistinguishable from the gen. The rep was initially released at $450 and no one bought it. They now sell for under $275, and it's easily the best quartz rep out there.

I generally avoid quartz versions of gen's that are automatic because I just don't see the point. Most of them are poor quality versions that do not have a sapphire crystal, which really rubs me the wrong way. Personally I can't see paying more than $40 or so for ANY watch unless it has a sapphire crystal.

Nevertheless, I have to say that some of the quartz Big Bangs are really amazing quality watches for the price. The best of them are from the factory that uses the Tuiga caseback on all of their models. If you find the right dealer, they're usually in the $100 range. I cannot imagine a more "impressive" looking watch for so little money.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where you say??? Forums such as watchuseek and others. I have seen autos for $950.

Good idea, I haven't been over there in a while, I'll have to check it out....the SMP black dial would be right up my alley....thanks.

Great topic! I wish they made more high quality quartz reps of quartz GENS, but sadly, they are few and far between. The best one I am aware of is the Swiss quartz version of the Porsche Design Flat Six with the same-as-gen ETA split-seconds movement. It is probably the closest to 1:1 rep I have ever seen. It's indistinguishable from the gen. The rep was initially released at $450 and no one bought it. They now sell for under $275, and it's easily the best quartz rep out there.

I generally avoid quartz versions of gen's that are automatic because I just don't see the point. Most of them are poor quality versions that do not have a sapphire crystal, which really rubs me the wrong way. Personally I can't see paying more than $40 or so for ANY watch unless it has a sapphire crystal.

Nevertheless, I have to say that some of the quartz Big Bangs are really amazing quality watches for the price. The best of them are from the factory that uses the Tuiga caseback on all of their models. If you find the right dealer, they're usually in the $100 range. I cannot imagine a more "impressive" looking watch for so little money.

I'll have to check out the Porche.....Do you have any in your current collection? If so, how do they stack up?

So true, Maxman....I loved your story about the wedding....That was a big fear of mine too initially and kinda what lead me to these forums (to find the answer to the obligatory "Who has the best sub" question) and also what has lead to, and is turning into a ridiculous out-of-control buying frenzy....:Jumpy: I love this whole rep scene and never realized that this existed. I guess my only intent for starting this thread was that a person may have different watches for different purposes and/or occasions. While I would never wear a quartz Rolex...period.....:shock: much less to a wedding or other formal event, I would wear a quartz watch to work out or some other sporting activity. I would also purchase one as a starter or a "trial" version of a watch I wanted to see how it looks/feels before plunking down more $$$ on the auto version. As my collection grows, its also nice to have a couple quartz to make sure you always have the correct time to be able to set your hand-wind or autos that you dont wear daily.

Thanks for sharing your story and your viewpoint. I hope I didnt seem like I was knocking on you, just trying to present a differing viewpoint.

Great to see another North Carolinian on the forums....I spent 5 years and Charlotte and loved it there. Now in the Triad area but never miss a Panther game in the fall and am at Lake Norman a lot in the summer, which has lead to my other obsession on these boards, how to "waterproof" your watches to be able to casually swim in them....:o

:victory:

-Murph'

Wow! Consider that done....Where?

I agree 100% on all counts :thumbsupsmileyanim: Thanks for the Interesting thread, sometimes little squabbles can be a good thing. :D If you dont mind I will be sending :yu: a pm

I have a quartz Hublot BB as you described. Im not fond of wearing It because of that dam second hand, :D But your right about the quality, If I could I would drop a 7750 In It In a heart beat, alas the sub dial configuration Is off :( I still like the watch for the reasons you stated, fantastic quality, real ceramic bezel, saphire crystal. The rubber strap Is so gen like It's scarry :shock: Mike

I agree 100% on all counts :thumbsupsmileyanim: Thanks for the Interesting thread, sometimes little squabbles can be a good thing. :D If you dont mind I will be sending :yu: a pm

No problem Mike, any time....

I'll have to check out the Porche.....Do you have any in your current collection? If so, how do they stack up?

You mean the Porsche? I have the quartz Flat Six with the red dial. I also have the automatic version of the Flat Six with the light grey dial (another superb rep). I even got a gen SS bracelet for the auto, which fits perfectly!

In fact, I even have a third quartz Flat Six that I forgot to mention. This one is only offered at WatchEden as far as I know. It is NOT the one that tries to mimic the auto version, but another rep of the quartz gen, but this one has a cheap ISA movement rather than the $75 ETA. The subdials are marked a bit differently, but otherwise it is very, very close to the $275 version. It is also available in some fantasy dial colors, including a very nice yellow.

I beleive it's the only quartz Flat Six on the WatchEden site with a sapphire crytal. It's about $150.

I have a quartz Hublot BB as you described. Im not fond of wearing It because of that dam second hand, :D But your right about the quality, If I could I would drop a 7750 In It In a heart beat, alas the sub dial configuration Is off :( I still like the watch for the reasons you stated, fantastic quality, real ceramic bezel, saphire crystal. The rubber strap Is so gen like It's scarry :shock: Mike

I have three of the quartz HBBs. I'm surprised the seconds hand bothers you. Normally quartz movements drive me nuts, but the seconds hand on the HBBs is so small that it's far less noticeable.

I know some dealers CLAIM the crystal is sapphire, but I'm not sure if I believe it. It is very thick, which gives it a very solid feel. The quartz HBBs are also great as parts donors if you have issues with your 7750 rep. The strap/deployant, bezel and rubber pads are all direct swaps (as long as you stick with the Tuiga factory versions).

What about the Porsche Flat Six P6320 Quartz Chronograph? :)

Interesting watch....Similar to the one JJ69 mentioned. I have never really paid much attention to the Porche Designs. Not sure why, it's a sharp looking watch. Thanks...

My buddy at work picked up a Tag Monaco Steve Mcqueen quartz from WE. I'm a bit of a auto snob and recommend against it but he really liked this watch and bought it anyway. It turned out to be really nice, especially for $108. The strap was crap of course but other than that it looks like quality. Sure it ticks but most people doesn't know the difference, if they notice or even care. I wouldn't worry about fantasy watches either. How many people in the world have the entire watch catalog from a given manufacturer memorized. If you like it, wear it.

I wish the economics was there for quality quartz pieces. It seems you can get a great rep of $5000+ swiss chrono for $250. Don't you just wish you could find a nice rep of these $1000 quartz for $50. I'd have a couple.

Interesting watch....Similar to the one JJ69 mentioned. I have never really paid much attention to the Porche Designs. Not sure why, it's a sharp looking watch. Thanks...

Actually, the P6320 IS the one I was referring to. Started out at $450, but now you can get it for $275. By far the best quartz rep available.

The WatchEden version of the P6320 is also a great rep for $150. Very similar, but with a cheapo ISA movement.

Has anybody mentioned the TAG Heuer F1 Chrono?

It has the ETA "fashionline" movement, like the gen.

Check out in By-tor's (i think he wrote about it) review!

I ordered one and I listed it in the sale forum the day it arrived. It's okay, but it just felt too "cheap" to me to even bother with. The crown guards are plastic and it has a mineral crystal. I didn't even bother sizing it.

I want to apolojize for my misinformed post. I said earlier that Rolex did not make a quartz movement, well It looks like they did at one time. The Oysterquartz was a Rolex developed movement that they used from the 70's-90's. I knew nothing about this movement. It was said to have had a Pulse motor that engaged the Pallet fork, :whistling: To my understanding It had a somewhat smooth sweeping sec hand. Im sorry but I dont know that much about movements and can not elaborate. This movement was only used In 2% of Rolexs, again sorry for the misinformation :pardon: Mike (ps) just read the post above :bangin:

you know what I really would love, A Breitling Blacksteel quartz, and before you say yes they make them let me finish.

A blacksteel quartz with the same dial and coating as the higher end auto ones. The quartz ones just look like they have been sprayed black and the numbers on the dial stuck on instead of stamped through the back.

If such a thing exists and people can direct me, Ill hump your leg.

.....this is a noob alert, an inexperienced noob alert.....(siren sound)

Guys, I know this is completely off topic but I need some help from you old timers. I have sold a couple of watches that I need to ship to the UK but I have never done this before, could someone PM me with instructions regarding how to go about doing this.....Maybe even a link to another thread. I tried the search bar but couldnt really find what I was looking for and need to get started on this. I'm not sure about things like:

What mail service to use, how to package to avoid risk, how to arrange payment, etc....I've always used the flat rate USPS boxes here in the CONUS but the whole customs thing, concerns me.

Thanks in advance.....:thumbsupsmileyanim:

.....you will now be returned to your regularly scheduled programming.....(siren ends)