When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Most recent iPhone pics using favorite processing app...

Although pretty basic, I'm finding the onboard processing app from TheBestCamera.com gives me great results without having to rely on a computer.

Disclaimer... cropping was done in PS, but all image/color processing was done on the phone with the app's filters and white boarder option.

Pet pic taken with older 3G, the franken 111 with a 3GS. Lighting was mixed with no effort made to control it.

Best $2.99 I ever spent on software.

http://www.thebestcamera.com/app.html

picapp04.jpg

picapp03.jpg

proj111c01.jpg

staredown01.jpg

Guest ThePhilosopher

Wow I can't believe those pics are from an iPhone! I will have to check that out for sure. Thanks for the tip!

Much like you couldn't tell if I posted a shot from my Sinar 4x5 (aside from the dust and such from scanning) to the web. Print it at 20x30 - then that's a different story. I too love BestCamera for when I don't have a film or other digital camera handy.

Much like you couldn't tell if I posted a shot from my Sinar 4x5 (aside from the dust and such from scanning) to the web. Print it at 20x30 - then that's a different story. I too love BestCamera for when I don't have a film or other digital camera handy.

It's all there in the camera data (Exif) :)

There is an amazing amount of latitude with the full-size 3GS files. Here's a 100% crop.

Rep 1680...

1680macro01.jpg

Here's an iPhone pic I took yesterday:

church.jpg

Yes, same software as Projectologist uses again.

Your pic is a perfect example of "rules" are meant to be broken... meaning rules like... "never put your subject in the center" or "set your white-balance before shooting" and "symmetrical crops are boring" (sorry... I made up the last one and actually believed it).

So I'm saying your pic shows that a symmetrical crop or view can be very interesting and even artistic. I mean if one is actually sitting in that space, that's how it would look at the time and later in your memory. The design of the organ and pipe array... it's all about symmetry AND that symmetry being echoed in the architectural space as well. A lot going on in what initially appears to be a simple capture.

As far as the rule re. not putting the subject matter in the center, well in this case it's all about having it in the center... any other way would be visually out of balance and the sense of exhalted architecture compromised.

Sometimes I think we can be a bit hung-up on correct white balance. In your pic the color conveys a mood... is it the same exact shades of color that you saw when you were there? I don't think it really matters. You don't have to have the correct balance to convey what you FELT vs. what you saw with your eyes.

3 cups of coffee later and rant over.

Sometimes I think we can be a bit hung-up on correct white balance. In your pic the color conveys a mood... is it the same exact shades of color that you saw when you were there? I don't think it really matters. You don't have to have the correct balance to convey what you FELT vs. what you saw with your eyes.

Thanks for the critique; I appreciate it.

It's an over-saturated version of what was there, but yes, it's the feel of the place I was after. Also, it shows the way many churches are designed to resemble female genitalia, but we'll keep that secret between ourselves and pretend no one noticed it. :)

If I had a better camera with a better lens and a tripod and cable release, I'd have got a better photo, but none of that matters because I didn't. This sort of photo is the result of my taking a photo a day with my iPhone, every day for over six months. The more you practice, the luckier your shots get.

Just for fun, here's one I took today while out for a stroll.

Queens-park.jpg

Thanks for the critique; I appreciate it.

It's an over-saturated version of what was there, but yes, it's the feel of the place I was after. Also, it shows the way many churches are designed to resemble female genitalia, but we'll keep that secret between ourselves and pretend no one noticed it. :)

If I had a better camera with a better lens and a tripod and cable release, I'd have got a better photo, but none of that matters because I didn't. This sort of photo is the result of my taking a photo a day with my iPhone, every day for over six months. The more you practice, the luckier your shots get.

Just for fun, here's one I took today while out for a stroll.

Queens-park.jpg

I like that idea... a photo a day for 6 months.

What's cool about your capture is that if you took out the small piece of branch sitting on the ice, it would just be another typical nice post card moment. That singular element defines the whole image BECAUSE it tells the viewer in a subtle way he's looking at ice and a winter scene.

I always try to capture a scene with a singular element in it that can take that common scene and transform it in some subtle way. Unfortunately I have to take way too many pics to come across that special moment. When I took this one I originally thought this little girl had gotten in the way, until I got home, downloaded it and saw that it was good (lucky) timing.

leicatest02a.jpg

Love the jumping girl. :)

What's cool about your capture is that if you took out the small piece of branch sitting on the ice, it would just be another typical nice post card moment. That singular element defines the whole image BECAUSE it tells the viewer in a subtle way he's looking at ice and a winter scene.

There was a football on the ice that looked better, but the angle I had to be at to take it meant the light was all wrong. :)

• 7 months later...

UPDATE... Just got another camera/phone app...Hipstamatic. Lots to pour over. Lenses, film types, frames and filters. Very, very cool for only $1.99. Plus it works with several different phones.

All processing is done in-camera/phone. Color later, b&w tonight. Default image size is 600x600 and can be saved up to 1500x1500.

bw03.jpg

My first try. :)

1181f892.jpg

Cool color effect... even the wood surface looks interesting :winkiss:

I was wondering if you may have the viewfinder setting in "classic" mode. No matter how you center you subject in the viewfinder, it keeps getting pushed to one side or the other.

I finally figured out if you open Settings for your phone, scroll down and click on the Hipstamatic icon, open Viewfinder Mode and select Precision Framing... your subject will appear in the photos postioned as seen through the Hipstamatic viewfinder. Classic was driving me crazy, always a surprise.

• 1 month later...

I've been using hipstamatic on my iphone4 for a few months now and really like the processing. But, I dislike the mini viewer which makes it very difficult to get your subject in frame - especially so if youre shooting a wristie. Also, I wish that the "Print Ready" would automatically show the picture rather than navigate back into the album. But still my favorite camera app.

Oh, and thanks for the Best Camera app, I played around with it for a few minutes, and it's quite nice too.

Here are some of my hipsta prints:

5198548533_d7931f7fb3.jpg

5198526173_8c7a732924.jpg

And one of my favorites, Ground Zero:

5198523613_5a4157ae92_z.jpg

Edited by bkwbkw

BK is the edging and frame a choice or default?

To be honest I find camera genius good enough for me with PB. But Proj always makes me envious and makes it sound so easy !!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using hipstamatic on my iphone4 for a few months now and really like the processing. But, I dislike the mini viewer which makes it very difficult to get your subject in frame - especially so if youre shooting a wristie. Also, I wish that the "Print Ready" would automatically show the picture rather than navigate back into the album. But still my favorite camera app.

Oh, and thanks for the Best Camera app, I played around with it for a few minutes, and it's quite nice too.

Here are some of my hipsta prints:

And one of my favorites, Ground Zero:

5198523613_5a4157ae92_z.jpg

Really like the last pic!

Regarding getting the subject matter in the middle of the frame with Hipstamatic...

(1) go into "Settings" for your iPhone

(2) scroll down and click on "Hipstamatic"

(3) click on "Viewfinder Mode"

(4) select "Precision Framing"... now what you see in the viewfinder will be centered... your subject where you want it :D