When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss 7753 for PAM196

bertieng

About to receive the EL PAM196 with the functional date change pusher at 10, with the A7750 housed.

Intended to swap a Swiss 7753 into it but wondering if this will fit. Considering the A7750 is modified with the tranfer gears so the total thickness of the movement is increased ( that's why for the sunken datewheel ). By putting in the 7753, the thinner movement is then sitting into a case built for the modded thicker A7750, shall the locking slots and the stem position aligned? And the date changing pusher will also align correctly to the 7753's button at 10?

Any PAM fans has done this transplant, can you share the experience here.

Would like to make sure before throwing $$$ for the 7753.

Thanks a lot.

The movement ring needs modification, the thickness of the movement will not be a problem. You need to find a proper 7753 dial version because the placement of the date window of your 7750 dial will not be the same.

While there, you'll need a thicker font on the DW if you are looking for close to 1:1 to the gen font, Leo from repgeek is one if you can get in touch with him, discontinued Lello version also good.

I also think that the hands may need modification if the 7750 is the 28.8k bps, the 21.6k bps version doesn't need. But good modder can make it work.

This will not be a cheap project, you will need at least 1K min to get a decent 7753 powered Daylight. If I were you, I would send an email to Vaclume or Zigmeister about the project before buying parts for the project.

You can check out the link in my sig. The watch is done by Vaclume, he said too much work involved and may not take anymore 7753 conversion project. But, why not shoot him an email? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Good luck to you.

I have completed 2 Daylights project. PAM 250 and the Panda PAM.

Movement thickness not an issue.

The date pusher while alighned to the movement date corrector, will still require some modifications to the movement retainer.

Need to source for a 196 dial for the 7753 movt for reasons mentioned by 100.

WIll need to look into the hands issu of course but if the A7750 movt is low beat, then no problems at all.

Best of luck.

Thanks folks.

Now it makes feel I have made the wrong decision. Thought it would be a straight swap of 7753 into the case using the same dial and hands. But it is cleared now that is not the case. Will be a huge investment to make a 7753 powered 196.

Sourcing the correct dila hands etc. will be killing indeed.

Buit why the hands used in the high beat can't be used in the 7753? I understand the Swiss 7750 and 7753 are sharing the same canon pinions and hour wheel. This is not the case for A7750 hih and low beat???

swiss parts fit each other. There is too much variance between the asian 7750 and swiss. The tough part is finding the dial and date wheel. I went through the same thing. They are out there. In fact, I have a date wheel I can sell you from Leo. These are not quick projects, but once you hold a modified one in your hand it is very satisfying. The functional date pusher was worth it to me.

I have a franken 250 that has a genuine dial, hands and crown, so I can tell you that they are out there....

If you do not want to go through the hassle, Francisco has modded the date wheel to raise it in the window but you still only have a 7750 and no date pusher, but it will look the part... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I keep seeing mention of the movement ring modification. Is it simply the cutting out of the area by the date pusher? And wouldn't you need to add a long pusher pin?

Will a 7750 DW fit the 7753 movement? And what kind of mods has to be made on the date pusher at 10?

@ blackbard: I don't think that Francisco do the DW mod as a generel service, or has he taken it on the menu?

7750 DW will not fit 7753, and you should PM Francisco to see if he can do that for you.

I would say its simply drilling the ring in the area required for the date pusher. Both my 7753 powered pieces had this done and a brass pusher was installed in the ring to enable the function. I would say based on my pieces, this is NOT hard to do with a proper drill bit and support for the ring while drilling. You DO want it to be straight though for ease of movement. Drill press would be best....

Will a 7750 DW fit the 7753 movement? And what kind of mods has to be made on the date pusher at 10?

@ blackbard: I don't think that Francisco do the DW mod as a generel service, or has he taken it on the menu?

According to the valjoux guide, its seems that a ETA datewheel fits the 7750 and 7753. I have 7753 including a famous maker's on this site.... :whistling: date wheels if you ever get to that point. 7750 wheels are available many places....

I have a very nice DW from Taka at RWI, and the 7753 is not that hard to find, just a matter of getting the right price ;-) But thanks for the offer.

It looks like the hard part here, is to find a dial to fit the 7753. A shame that they are so rare, couse it seems like they are in high demant. How come none of the dealers have had some made, they would be gone in 60 sec?

I tryed to write Francisco after reading his great tutorial A Solution to the Sunken DW of the Asian 7750, but he wasn't taking new customers for that mod :-(

I have a very nice DW from Taka at RWI, and the 7753 is not that hard to find, just a matter of getting the right price ;-) But thanks for the offer.

It looks like the hard part here, is to find a dial to fit the 7753. A shame that they are so rare, couse it seems like they are in high demant. How come none of the dealers have had some made, they would be gone in 60 sec?

I tryed to write Francisco after reading his great tutorial A Solution to the Sunken DW of the Asian 7750, but he wasn't taking new customers for that mod :-(

I thought Taka didn't have any 7753 DWs yet... How did you get one? Or is it the 7750 you got?

As for the dial for 7753, I got mine from Hont last year. Drop him an email. Also, Robert (T4D or PWC) might have one.

This is a quite difficult project.

I have it on my table but is still pending. Investment is salso quite big. 77753, correct datewheel, right dial/hands.......

And the tough part is getting the movement retaining ring drilled with the correct spec for the date changing function on the 7753. Can't find any modder will d ouit for me yet.

This now really pushing me to give up the whole project :(

And the tough part is getting the movement retaining ring drilled with the correct spec for the date changing function on the 7753. Can't find any modder will d ouit for me yet.

This now really pushing me to give up the whole project :(

As noted above that should be quite easy, just have to make sure the "modder" knows something about PAM and the 7753 movement, if he doesn't I wouldn't use them anyway.

As noted above that should be quite easy, just have to make sure the "modder" knows something about PAM and the 7753 movement, if he doesn't I wouldn't use them anyway.

Completely agree. Most shy away because they do not know the model or do not want to tackle the issues that come up. However, this particular part of the mod is NOT hard....

Oooohhh.

If only it really happens--

Correct Panerai datfont from day 1?

Swiss or ASIAN 7753?

Correct dials from day 1 - 196 without sub dial recessions, and without the extra minute tick right after 12....

if this really happens it'll be great news. But prices'???

I thought Taka didn't have any 7753 DWs yet... How did you get one? Or is it the 7750 you got?

As for the dial for 7753, I got mine from Hont last year. Drop him an email. Also, Robert (T4D or PWC) might have one.

Sorry if I mixed it up, It's a 7750 DW from Taka I got. According to blackbard, it should work fine on a 7753, but Drulee say it won't???

Can anyone say it for sure?

Thanks for the dial tip, I'll send Hont and Robert a mail and if I get my hands on a 7753 dial I just might me ready to take the plunge, and buy a 7753 movement :)

But I don't like the sounds of bertieng's trouble...