When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rwg Champions League Prize Pool

jonthebhoy

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can Canadian members join in? I would be in for Liverpool, but seeing their abysmal performance recently, I would go for FC Barcelona likely, give me a few days to think about it.

The pool is open to all members, so feel free to join in, Thomas.

Can Canadian members join in? I would be in for Liverpool, but seeing their abysmal performance recently, I would go for FC Barcelona likely, give me a few days to think about it.

Much as it pains me to admit it, yes you're right, abysmal awful terrible worst I've ever seen, defence is just shocking, attacking options limited this season - we're a shadow of our former selves, you'd be better putting your money on Barca for sure, trust me.

Anyway as the boss said, Gran will weigh in also out of blind love so no point you joining our little club.

:whistling:

Come one come all.

I (with the help of docblackrock :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) didn't devise this little compo at the exclusion of anyone.

To be honest it's such an open contest this year that any one of a large number of teams could win it, so to all my non-European friends go on have a go, it's only twenty bucks and you'll be helping RWG as well.

Remember though - the deadline is Tuesday.

JTB

PS - Edge - I'll pm you!

Some helpful tips for those across the pond or convict egg-chasers like Ken :bleh:

Real Madrid for their 10th? Capello coming in will strengthen their team spirit, a great manager at last (rather than a lackey) and the addition of Cannavaro, the Italian World Cup-winning captain will add some steel to the notoriously dodgy defence. Zidane's retirement is a blow however and there are still major doubts about the form, fitness and future of Ronaldo...pie manufacturers are lining up with sponsorship deals as we speak.

DBR's Verdict = another dismal failure in 1st KO round or QF

AC Milan - a sense of injustice may burn bright, but in reality they are lucky to even be in the draw, following their involvement in the Italian match-fixing scandal (the ever-protective hand of owner and ex-PM Berlusconi perhaps?) and unlike the national team's triumph in adversity, it is difficult to see them having the necessary mental strength when the chips are down, as events in the 2005 Final in Istanbul showed. A couple of additions to the squad, more problem-solvers than upgrades, but still, a tough nut to crack. Interesting to see how Oliveira will perform.

DBR's Verdict = SF if they get a clear run through

Internazionale - the only Italian team that's in a much better position than 4 months ago. Just been awarded another Scudetto by default (molto grazie Juventus!) and have been very philanthropic in terms of offering jobs to certain poor unfortunate multimillionaire Juve players that didn't fancy playing in serie B (Vieira and Ibrahimovich). The new boys have strengthened the team immeasurably, but then Inter being Inter (not the luckiest of teams) can we really expect them to go all the way? Will the weight of expectation for Massimo Moratti's men (in the wake of the match-fixing scandal and subsequent weakening of their rivals), prove too much?

DBR's Verdict = SF. Could be Inter's year, god knows they've waited long enough, but could their favourite status work against them?

Barcelona - the team to beat yet again this year, but they were far from convincing in winning last year and are prone to a little indiscipline on the field. Like Chelsea are sometimes less a team than a sum of the individual parts. Key player is Eto'o, a great great player far too long under Ronaldinho's shadow. Success may also depend on the form of their teenage Argentinian sensation, Lionel Messi.

DBR's Verdict = Runners-up ;)

Chelsea - simply they HAVE to win it. To be more specific, their manager, Mourinho, HAS to win it otherwise it's 'dos vidanja Jose' (hello Hiddink?), a visit from a couple of friendly Russian gentleman and a set of concrete booties :unsure: . Ah well it couldn't happen to a nicer more decent fella :D.

In their (£330million) determination (desperation?) to buy...sorry, win it, they've drafted in a £30million 30-year old Ukrainian, Shevchenko, arguably the best striker in Europe (apart from penalties ;) ) and the steely 29-year old German talisman, Ballack. Starting to develop a reputation as big-time chokers in KO tournaments but that could be just when they play Liverpool :bleh: . Will be interesting to see how they fare yet again against Barca in the groups stages this time. That said, 'Maureen's Mercenaries' are a very strong team and will be amongst the favourites.

DBR's Verdict = Another SF disappointment - suspect team spirit, and the 'need' to win it is never the best motivational factor for winning teams.

Valencia - Starting to look strong again, building up after the loss of a certain Rafa Benitez. Joaquin has signed, Morientes has a point to prove after his disappointing Liverpool career (like his loan spell at Monaco, when he knocked his employers Real Madrid out of the competition), and David Villa is quite simply, one of the most exciting young strikers around right now. Solid at the back, creative in the middle, a class act. Under Benitez, they broke up the monopoly of Real and Barca with 2 La Liga titles in 3 years and a UEFA Cup. They've also made the CL semis twice previously.

DBR's Verdict = Good each-way bet, could well go far but equally could fail to ignite - the group stages will offer a glimpse of what is to come.

Manchester United - oh dear, don't waste your money (actually DO waste your money - bigger pot :lol:). Talk the talk but don't walk the walk these days. Failed to strengthen in summer transfer market, and lost their all-time leading scorer in Europe, Ruud van Nistelrooij, now grazing in a Madrid paddock (neeeeigh! :lol:). American-owned if any of you Yanks are feeling patriotic :rolleyes: run by the ginger gnome Malcolm Glazer (& Sons). However, their manager Alex Ferguson should have been pensioned off 4 years ago and these days is a hindrance to the team more than he is a help (his so-called man-management style is the real reason they lost Staam, Beckham and the aforementioned RVN).

DBR's Verdict = A decent group showing but when the real KO stage begins, expect another pathetic capitulation.

Lyon - French champions for the umpteenth time and current manager Houllier (ex-Liverpool) has built impressively on their performances and the feeling in France is that they could finally make Europe sit up and take notice this year. The loss of Essien to Chelsea last year did not seem to harm them in any way (least of all in the bank balance £26 million peeeeeeeeeee!) and they have a balanced feel to their squad. Doubts however still remain over whether they can step up a gear if required. More often than not, they can't.

DBR's Verdict = Tough to call, but don't expect miracles beyond the first KO round.

Arsenal - got very lucky last year reaching the Final taking advantage of some poor performances by some of the big boys without really setting the world alight. Wenger is a very smart manager but he may have miscalculated by a couple of seasons with his youth policy backfiring this time out. Lost an excellent defender to Chelsea but received another slightly more excellent defender in return. A stuttering start to their Premiership campaign does not not bode well, despite their run in similar circumstances last year.

DBR's Verdict = First KO stage exit, with Henry whingeing and complaining about conspiracies whilst house-hunting in Spain/Italy....again.

Onto the second/third seeds....

PSV Eindhoven - almost made (deserved to IMO) the Final in 2005, a strong team that has improved although the loss of Hiddink as coach is a blow. Still Ronald Koeman is no mean replacement as his success at Benfica showed (KO'd both Man Utd and Liverpool out last year). Again, the group stages will make or break them (first match vs. Liverpool next week), but they hope that new signings Patrick Kluivert and talented defender Jan Kronkamp will bed in quickly.

DBR's Verdict = QF if they play to their strengths

Benfica - a great club, but these days a technically poor team who punch above their weight. A couple of star players in Simao and Rui Costa (returning home) but no more than that. Like Portugal in the World Cup, not pleasant to watch.

DBR's Verdict = Group stage exit likely this time.

Celtic - ignore JTB and his melancholy, it is great to have Celtic back in the competition and they are no pushovers. Another tough nut to crack as Man Utd will find out in the group stages. Have made some interesting and important signings this summer, Jan Venegoor of Hesselink (yes that really IS his full name!) is a quality striker and Tommy Gravesen (JTB's new avatar) is a brute, ugly but ruthlessly effective. 2007 is also the 40th anniversary of their 1967 triumph (the Lisbon Lions) when they became the first British club to win the trophy, so they have history on their side. Their greatest ever player was from that team, Jimmy Johnstone, who tragically succumbed to motor neurone disease earlier this year. Jinksy will no doubt be looking down and cheering the Bhoys on.

DBR's Verdict = A proud performance in the group stages possibly even the QFs when hopefully they meet Liverpool ;)

Bayern Munich - German. Efficient. Boring. Weakened (Ballack to Chelsea). Still no-one fancies playing them as it's such bloody hard work.

DBR's Verdict = First KO stage, QF at a push

Bremen - don't know much about them - plucky German side with Miroslav Klose in their ranks (World Cup Golden Boot winner).

DBR's Verdict = Group stage exit - tough group with Barca and Chelsea

Of the others, the only dangers for the rest will be the likes of AS Roma and CSKA Moscow, UEFA Cup winners in 2005.

So there you have it, Yanks and Aussies, take your pick. Remember, my personal verdicts are based on an almost unbiased balance of form and potential with a slight dash of wishful thinking, but in truth this is a VERY open tournament this year, more than in recent memory, so you're all in with a shout whomever you choose.

Good luck!

DBR

C'mon people, I wasted a good half-hour of my life writing that form guide :( especially for our colonial cousins who prefer to play with funny shaped balls ^_^

JTB - maybe it should be moved to GD just until deadline day, infinitely more passing traffic = bigger pot.

Can't believe no-one's interested in backing either of the Milan teams or Real, or Chelsea several times over (Chris :p ). I know Tommy (Palp) is up for it but hadn't seen post, same with a good few others too I'm sure.

especially for our colonial cousins who prefer to play with funny shaped balls ^_^

I'll have you know that my balls are exactly the same shape as yours! :p

Just can't get excited about betting on something I know NOTHING about.

The last time I got involved with JTB in a bet ( which appeared to be a sure thing) my cricket team did the unthinkable and went to sleep for a couple of months.

However revenge will be sweet.... SOON.

So - sorry guys, no Oz $$ coming from this little black duck, howver I am interested in a winner take all, on the upcoming test cricket series :D Poor old Poms don't know what we have waiting for 'em. They may even have trouble getting thru customs... invalid passports etc... and the drugs checking will mean they can't even walk for a week or two after arrival :p

BTW.. jtb .. is the Mido still ticking? Mine is still my fav!

Offshore

Mido still ticking away Alan and gets regular wrist time.

Ashes not far away now. I'm reserving judgement at the moment until I know who is fit and who isn't.

England are the walking wounded at the moment.

Back on subject - doc has done a super precis of the main contenders and there are some sound tips in there.

$20 isn't asking a lot and every $20 yields $2 for RWG. I will happily support and promote some sort of compo when the Ashes come around. Maybe even the Ryder Cup also.

So come on folks.............Tuesday looms large!

Hail Hail

JTB

OK jtb, I'll have 2 bob each way on Barcelona, in response to that excellent form guide!

(Will PP funds on Monday)

Always like to back the runners up!

But then again... that would mean backing the Poms for the Ashes!

Hmmm, yeh Barcelona it will be... are they from Europe?

See ya can't take the Oz out of an Aussie!

Bump for some more punters... lets send all of your dough downunder, so I can buy a couple more watches!

And support our home at the same time.

Offshore

Amazing development at Goodison! ;) Everton leads Liverpool by 2 at half time.. I love a good game, but I love watching Liverpool lose even more... But who knows? Maybe Daddy Longlegs can score a couple after the rest?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: another half to go, so don't crow too soon.

Seems we have a Man Utd supporter lurking - Norwegian too, how's old Ole doing these days? Not going to solve your striking problem is he? :lol:

Anyway, why not stop making snide comments and put your money where your big mouth is :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: another half to go, so don't crow too soon.

Seems we have a Man Utd supporter lurking - Norwegian too, how's old Ole doing these days? Not going to solve your striking problem is he? :lol:

Anyway, why not stop making snide comments and put your money where your big mouth is :D

I appreciate your concern for MU's striking problem, I actually think Ole WILL solve a lot of their offensive problems, like he has done Norway's in the last month. But if you read back a little you'll see I am an Arsenal supporter. ;) Norwegian club football is [censored], and it does not catch my interest at all.

Growing up with 5 older L'pool supporting cousins in the 80's, back when Arsenal glory was not quite so bright, I have come to love every blow Liverpool sustains. (Though I think they should be in the top 5, behind The Gunners). Sorry for my gloating........... naw, I'm not ;P

Everton - Liverpool 3-0 in the end.

Good of big man Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink to score, JTB.

Sorry lads, but you're all going to be hailing a new non-galactico era at Real Madrid! The defense will be solid with Cannavaro pulling the strings, and with Beckham putting the crosses for RVN (remember RVN's most prolific time at ManU?), add to that Ronaldo, Raul, Robinho, Reyes (I'm sure glad I can pronounce my Rrrr's!!) and you have a winning combination. I think Capello will drill them in the right way and they will be a much more solid Real Madrid than we have seen for years.

However, in case anyone else is thinking of backing Real Madrid, don't. Everything I said above is a complete fabrication...

:black_eye: Ah well I guess we owed them a win after 18 attempts at their place ^_^

Gloat all you like fellas, as we have seen in the last 2 years with Pool and the [censored], even when teams aren't playing well in the league they are still eminently capable of turning it on when it matters most (to some) in the Champions League. As the saying goes, form is temporary, but class is permanent. ;)

@dcrooz - good man and a worthy punt - personally I don't think Capello will get it together this season, that's a massive job turning round their last 3 or 4 years and a step too far. Still too much deadwood about (Ronaldo, Carolos, Baptista, and if you're honest, Beckham too). Maybe next year though. I only hope they'll be able to make a bloody effort this time :rolleyes:

@everythingape - I still don't see an Arsenal crest in JTB's table. Whassamadda? You scared? Cluck cluck :animal_rooster::animal_rooster::animal_rooster::bleh: