When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

factory pvd case - refinishing...

hackR

i have a getat pvd case with the usual sheen that comes with these current pvd models...i'd like to soften the look of the case and get rid of the sheen and make it look gun metal and/or slightly worn...

i don't want to drag it behind my car to distress it...but am looking to see if anyone has used cape cod, brushed one or some other process to soften up the color and finish...i've read of cape cod usage on old skool pvd and avitt quality pvd cases...but these getat cases are different in finish than those - as most know...i also wouldn't mind if the process thinned the pvd coating...just looking for something that makes it look broken in and less glossy...

i'd appreciate any comments and/or ideas - and whether or not you've tried it...

thanks...

R-

edit: this topic originally started as an inquiry - but with member advice - turned into a project...follow the thread and enjoy the steps: raw, after cape codding, after sanding, completion...thanks especially to mir36, Drulee, Ed Mc Manos... :drinks:

I remember EggMcManos, over on RG, giving one a rub down (get your mind out of the gutter) with a CapeCod cloth. Ended up giving it a gun metal look. I've got a 195 put together using a JacksonTse case (same as Getat I believe) that I was thinking of doing the CapeCod thing to.

On some of the rep finsihes the Cape Cod will not make a difference. Might ask Avitt about a fine beadblast

By the way, are the Getat cases pretty standard meaning that rep dials fit OK?

Can anyone post a side view of one as I hear the lugs are nice and Pre-V squat g.gif

On some of the rep finsihes the Cape Cod will not make a difference. Might ask Avitt about a fine beadblast

I agree that a CC rubdown might not make a difference on this one, but it's worth a try (maybe try an inconspicuous spot on the case, like the back of the lugs).

It would be interesting to try a low pressure glass bead blast...I haven't done this before, but think that it might make things better.

thanks, avitt!...besides cc and bead blasting, can you think of any other do-it-yourself treatments that might assist with removing some of the pvd finish and/or sheen?...at this point, i'm just playing around...if i like it, i would go with your treatment...right now, the sheen of this finish is turning me off from pvd finish...but i think if i can tone/dull it down, i'd like it much better...

A thorough cape cod rubdown will give it a very brownish/black sheen.

Then take the finest 3M sanding sponge (#180) and give it a rubdown until you get the gunmetal color.

I just finished this for a JacksonTse PVD case and got the gunmetal color. Will try to post some pics tonight.

thanks, avitt!...besides cc and bead blasting, can you think of any other do-it-yourself treatments that might assist with removing some of the pvd finish and/or sheen?...at this point, i'm just playing around...if i like it, i would go with your treatment...right now, the sheen of this finish is turning me off from pvd finish...but i think if i can tone/dull it down, i'd like it much better...

In the name of science, I'd be willing to give the BB thing a try for you ;) If you'd like to give it a try, just PM me, and we can make arrangements.

Pictures as promised. Both are Jackson Tse PVD cases. The one on the left is untouched. The one one the right was refinished with Cape Cod and 3M Sanding sponge #180 to achieve the gunmetal look. I'm still saving some $$$ for a proper aftermarket PVD/DLC service, but this will do for now... Hope this helps.

P1070407.jpg

P1070406.jpg

P1070404.jpg

@mir --> well done...now that's the kind of look i was thinking about...did you completely strip the case down - removing the crown tube and the crystal?...also, what does the cape cod do to the finish prior to the sanding?...does it lighten it at all?...you mention a brownish/blackish sheen...i have to assume this is a necessary step instead of just trying the sandpaper, right?!...

@mir --> well done...now that's the kind of look i was thinking about...did you completely strip the case down - removing the crown tube and the crystal?...also, what does the cape cod do to the finish prior to the sanding?...does it lighten it at all?...you mention a brownish/blackish sheen...i have to assume this is a necessary step instead of just trying the sandpaper, right?!...

@ hackR: Thanks. I just took out the crown and CG and started the Cape Cod rubdown with the crystal on. No damage to the crystal. The Cape Cod (after an hour) thins down the PVD coat, but the end result looks like is a very shiny brownish/black glaze which really puzzled me. So i used the 3M sanding sponge to break up the surface and bring up hints of the metallic underlayer. What you want to do is rub the sanding sponge in random movements/circles to avoid sanding too uniformly. In retrospect, you may not even need to use the Cape Cod, but I was following conventional wisdom and turned to 3M after that didn't work out.

In retrospect, you may not even need to use the Cape Cod, but I was following conventional wisdom and turned to 3M after that didn't work out.

I agree with your thought that the cape cod should take some of the pvd finish off - as that's the principle they work under for polished ss...so, i'm thinking that's a good way to start...was thinking - before this post - of just trying the sandpaper out, but now i think i should follow your lead....

your case almost looks like an oxidized titanium case - with a little distressing...a very cool look!...once again - well done and thanks!...process and before/after pix really helps!...

R-

I'm sure I read that Dluddy done something similer to one of his PAMs to remove the sheen and get a nice 'pencil' graphite colour on it??

I maybe wrong of course, but then I usually am!! lol.

Sixx :bones:

No, you're right Sixx but that was a DSN PVD case. His is real PVD. Some of the Rep and Homage PVD coatings just seem like some type of annodized finish but more likely just the result of poor case preparation before coating. I had one and tried a CC on it to no avail. I too resorted to sanding and came out with similar results as above but this was not the look I was going for so I simply had the case redone in proper PVD.

That case I did is actually a lot blacker than it looks in pics. It's much darker than the DLC on my v2 Blacksteel, and just a little lighter than DSN PVD. Except for the really shiny parts (like the CG pin), it looks a lot like the well-aged PVD case projectologist showed earlier in the thread. Although the cape cod is a polishing cloth, it took a lot of the shine off when I went in circles followed by straight with the grain. Before I started it looked like you painted it darkest black, dipped it in hi-gloss varnish, then waxed with car wax.

Here's the whole thread to show the before and after, and the comparison of the before to a cheapie iOffer 28 that had very nice real matte PVD on it.

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?p=756558#post756558

i just completed taking a cape cod cloth to the pvd case...i used 3 separate pieces of cape cod - replacing one when it dried out - and worked the case for about an hour...next step will be to lightly sand it with the 180 grit sandpaper sponge...i would describe the case color as a gun metal pewter bronze...i did my best to get some natural sunlight pix of it to capture the color...what'd ya think?!...off to sand it a little to dull it down...

enjoy - R

here's the case before cape cod (pix shot inside with florescent lighting)

pampvd1.jpg

here's the pix after the cape cod work..

getatpvdcc1.jpg

getatpvdcc2.jpg

getatpvdcc3.jpg

getatpvdcc4.jpg

getatpvdcc5.jpg

getatpvdcc6.jpg

thanks to the members in this thread that advised me on this...it's what the forum is about!... :drinks:

readying to sand now, Red...using the same 180 grit 3M sanding block/sponge mentioned...

more to come...(i agree with ya - i'm going for the same distressed look as mir)

R-

Nice info :)

If you use a dremel with a soft polishing attachment and red rouge polishing compound, you will get the job done really, really quickly, and save you arm a lot of grief! :p

Might be worth considering giving the case a brushed finish now with a soft rubber abrasive block. I personally prefer a matte finish to a glossy one :D

EDIT: I see you are, great minds think alike! :lol: