When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Music Lovers - What are you listening to right now?

By-Tor

Tonight ... a dear friend of mine tearing it up on Bach's Cello Suite #3. 

Listen at 4:55 as he takes on the Gigue and just NAILS it.  Bet you've never heard a cello do things like that, eh?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dieselpower said:

That opera singer gf of mine said that Bach was the greatest composer of all time. Guess she was right.

Y'know if you stop a moment and put yourself in his shoes, he wasn't all that different than we are today.  Granted he was a genius musically, but imagine him doing his thing, having a good day, he wrote a couple delicate little 2-part inventions before breakfast, it's all good.  He steps out to go buy a tobacco and steps right in a platter sized pile of horse crap that his fricken neighbor left behind, and dammit it just pisses him off!  How many times has he told that b@stage to park his horse further down the road?!!  So he has to go back inside and change his shoes, he's just FRIED about that stinking neighbor,  and sits at the piano bench.  He struggles with his shoe lace, gets madder and madder, leans back and his elbow hits the keyboard, plays 3 notes and as he spins around, his elbow slides down the keys.

And just like that, the Tocatta and Fugue in Dmin is started.  He probably switched over to the organ and cranked it as loud as it would go, and blew the windows out of the house. 

Ahhhhhhhh, it's good to be passionately alive.

Well, dayummmm....   is that how it happened?  :yu:

I still look for Oskar Fischinger visuals every time I hear this (Fantasia, 1940) - is that a bad thing?

I guess it goes hand in hand with the "Hi, Yo, Sillllver!" that pops into my head every time I hear the William Tell Overture. 

I lead a sheltered childhood....  :wounded1:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Somehow the stars aligned and I found this beauty.  I've heard plenty of Ray Charles blues, but this is a whole 'nother level.  Dang, I could listen to this all day long.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...