When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Music Lovers - What are you listening to right now?

By-Tor

Hey, most forums have this kind of utterly useless (but fun) music thread, so why don't we open one too?

Besides browsing for the watch forums, I listen a lot of music during my "office days". Actually I always have something in the player. Right now I'm listening to this amazing progressive rock album from 2007. It's one of my most played records of last year.

Porcupine Tree: Fear of a Blank Planet

HL_T4_fear-of-a-blank-planet-porcupine-tree.jpg

Keep 'em coming!

• Like 1

I'm listening to Radiohead. In Rainbows. I actually waited to get it on CD. Buying it at 160Kbps did not cut it for me. I need to hear it on a good set of speakers with some volume. And none of this 128kbps iTunes [censored]!

And while I'm on the topic of digital. How about I extend the question and include:

How do you listen to your music?

I recently ripped my whole collection to Apple Lossless. (others prefer FLAC, but I run iTunes) Hard drives are cheap, so I'm not concerned of file size. I have 340+ Gigs of music running from my iMac hardwired to my home stereo. iTunes is shared so my wife can access with her Powerbook and I can also access with my Macbook Pro when I'm downstairs fiddling with watch parts. Yeah, I'm a Mac geek. I'm eagerly waiting to pick up the new Time Capsule in 1TB!

radiohead_hail.jpg

• Like 1

Wife snoring, dog farting, music to some perhaps. I was just listening to Pink Floyd, "The Wall", bought the album when it first came out in 1980 and just got the CD to remind me of a different time, my youth. Funny how music and certain aromas can transport you back as effectively as any time machine might. Life is good indeed. ;)

• Like 2

I am an iPOD NUTTER and use the On Stage system from JBL - always something playing:

Last few days:

Led Zeppelin at the O2, my own re-mix (equalisation boosted) of the FLAC bootleg, awesome show - I got it originally to see how bad they were compared to the gushing reviews, was amazingly surprised at how powerful they sounded (right enough a fair bit of moolah was spent on the sound system), and have hardly gone a day without listening to at least part of it. Page is 64 years old FFS.... what a guitarist and that bass player isn't bad either. I felt the sound was a little middly so I boosted the EQ, sounds much better and sharper. Kashmir.... For Your Life.... Black Dog... In My Time of Dying..... to me are the highlights. Stairway is f&$%ing awful however....

The Monkees - Daydream Believer Collection 1 - Great comp...

Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac (1975 album) (First time I have listened to this since I was at school - sounds fresh and not of its time)

Have not been listening to RUSH.... though might dig out La Villa Strangiaaaawhatever it is called soon.... (has the benefit of no singing....!)

Mitton

I addicted to music all my life, mostly i listen metal or hc bands, i like also classic bands like Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden. I like everything from Hanz Zimmer, The Cure, Mike Patton, to the real hard playing bands like Vader,Biohazard or Sepultura. Now i'm listening US hard core band Hatebreed:) My Top 5 are:

Sepultura

Biohazard

Type'o'Negative

Vader

Einstuerzende Neubauten

Great thread By-Tor, lets keep it going, btw anybody like metal music here?

I'm not a musical person, I'm a visual person (books, film), but this is what I was listening to last night:

Yggdrasil Quartet -- Shostakovich: String Quartets no 5, 7, 9

T290531.jpg

&

Nouvelle Vague -- Nouvelle Vague (fave track -- Guns of Brixton)

nouvellevaguecv3.gif

@SZ1: Wow! Just read your choice. So close.

Right now, I'm listening to a home-compiled DaftPunk CD. As Cusack said in High Fidelity "I just want something I can ignore!"

Who wants to smash the customer with the phone before jumping the counter to kick the [censored] out of them and dump an air-conditioner on them? ;) Top film ^_^

Edited by TeeJay

i alternate between the greats of the 80's (wasn't everything great in the 80's?) ... boston... asia... police... the cars... yes... fleetwood mac, and a constant search for new and upcoming artists.

The newer names I'm listening to are not rock or heavy metal, but if you want to hear a couple female songwriter/singers who combine intriquing hooks with excellent voices, check out: A Fine Frenzy, Feist, or for those who like Radiohead, you''ll probably like Keane (check out the track 'everything's changing') or maybe The Shins (australia). Some of this music is 'the softer side' but very listenable.

I guess I like just about all music, except for the teenybob, boyband cotton candy stuff.

PS: TJ, i was on a DP kick a month or two ago after i heard the track 'one more time' at the gym--great upbeat stuff, although there are only about 3-4 tracks of theirs i can listen to over and over on a consistent basis.

Edited by Watchwatcher

i alternate between the greats of the 80's (wasn't everything great in the 80's?)

EVERYTHING. ^_^

Keane (check out the track 'everything's changing')

My favourite alternative group, right now -- I like their "Under the Iron Sea" album a lot. I could listen to "Nothing in My Way" for hours.

Dream Theater made some nice albums in the early nineties, like "Images and Words". But they have put out some disappointing efforts too. The newest one, Systematic Chaos is actually pretty good... and I've been listening to it quite a bit, just like now.

DreamTheaterSystematicChaosFinalCover.jpg

I am a "Parrot Head" and I listen to Jimmy Buffet pretty much all the time. Channel 31 on Sirius is Margarita Radio so it is pretty much all Jimmy all the time. I fill my Jimmy listening gaps with The Boat Drunks, Serena Ryder, Vann Johnson, Eek-a-Mouse ... "Biddy biddy bong bong" .., The Bells, Van Morrison, Johnny Klegg and War. Also, I'm a fan of Doo Wop and my favorite artists are: The Skyliners, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Jay and the Americans.

ParrotMarg.jpg

I listen to most any music......60s/70s/80s, etc some good rock (black sabbath/Led Zep - Stairway to Heaven is my all Time rock fav!!!) and any band of the Woodstock Era! A little bit of classical here and there ... love Bocelli. Love the old disco music (workout with it)....Staying Alive anyone? I like some new Hip-hop...Nelly Furtado, Alicia Keys, ......and the likes!

Love latin music.....Tango, passa doble, cha-cha (love to dance).....the Cuban beat, Celia Cruz, Mel Torme, Arturo Sandoval, Paquito Rivera, and the other Legends... and who can't like Brazilian music (Girl from Ipanema)...samba, bossa nova....Giao Gilberto, Jose Bispo,.......but I'm really a Jazzman at heart! Love all kinds of Jazz; from the classics to the newer iterations...

Buble, Nora Jones, Eva Cassidy, Diana Krall, and the revival of Bossa Nova...lots of good singers from Asia!!!! Man...I could go on forever about music....Nat King Cole, Natalie, Sinatra, Carly Simon, Aretha Franklin, Streisand, Estefan blah....blah.....you know what I mean!

I have over 500Gig of music on my Multimedia Server...Got 3 Ipods and the latest Zune! ....I could go on, but.........................

I'm listening to my ipod playlist called "Bad Mutha songs" which includes:

The theme from Shaft

Kung Fu Fighting

Superfly

The Rubberband Man

I'm always looking for more songs for the list...Suggestions?

BTW, before that I was listening to Metallica - Kill 'Em All and next I'll listen to Bob Marley - Songs of Freedom (Disc 3).

I like my music pretty diverse.

Oh, and By-Tor, Rush used to be one of my favorite bands in High School (1977-1980). I had all the albums to that point. I haven't listened to them in years until I joined this forum and saw your avatar. Since then I have bought the following from itunes:

Rush

Fly by Night

Caress of Steel

A Farewell to Kings

It's like being reunited with an old High School buddy...Thanks for that.

Edited by mjmurphy926

I

Oh, and By-Tor, Rush used to be one of my favorite bands in High School (1977-1980). I had all the albums to that point. I haven't listened to them in years until I joined this forum and saw your avatar. Since then I have bought the following from itunes:

Rush

Fly by Night

Caress of Steel

A Farewell to Kings

It's like being reunited with an old High School buddy...Thanks for that.

Wow, those old ones... I like the old Rush too, but they hit their peak much later than that, imho. Get "Different Stages" and "A Show of Hands" live albums if you want great "cuts" of their best material. :) Personally, I much prefer the live albums from them.

PS: Someone in the forums gave me a hint for Neal Morse's material last summer. Sola Scriptura is really intelligent modern progressive rock album. Highly recommended, been listening to this a lot.

nealmorse_solascriptura.jpg