When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reproducing the 212 with Sapphire crystal

plaifender

Hey guys,

My friend Colorao has pointed this out to me today. So with the 253/212 sapphire crystal project getting off the ground.. I thought i had covered all bases. I know this watch was coming out soon.. but i was under the impression at least through various conversations.. that the factories were going to start producing new batches of the 212... Josh has put the new production watch on his website as a new model and highlighted "sapphire crystal".. is this him using "marketing" to let everyone know that it's back in stock, or are the new cases actually with sapphire crystal? If they're with sapphire crystal.. i think this would HIGHLY affect whether or not people that have expressed interest in the crystal project will want to go ahead with the project. Can anyone confirm that these "new" 212s don't have sapphire and are using mineral crystal just like the previous batches have been. The case, crystal and construction looks exactly the same... What's up with this? Since this case is the same as the 253 (at least it has been in the past) should we expect the same kind of "re-release" of the 253??

-pLai

p.s. here's the link.. http://www.perfect-hour.com/pn21202-1950-flyback-chronograph-asia-7750-p-8420.html

Also, look at the caseback shot. It has the correct eta 7750 regulator and rotor bearing. I have seen that on some of Josh's other newer watches as well. Does anyone know if the delivered watches come like that?

Not trying to threadjack, but it has an impact on whether I'd try to purchase new or just source the crystal.

Yes and how about the other new models coming out, like the PAM286? It could be that that version will have sapphire and that it might fit the pam253/212 cases??

Does Torobravo have news on that?

Andrew has the same specs for his 212 v2

But this is not a big surprise...

Yes and how about the other new models coming out, like the PAM286? It could be that that version will have sapphire and that it might fit the pam253/212 cases??

Does Torobravo have news on that?

Also, look at the caseback shot. It has the correct eta 7750 regulator and rotor bearing. I have seen that on some of Josh's other newer watches as well. Does anyone know if the delivered watches come like that?

Not trying to threadjack, but it has an impact on whether I'd try to purchase new or just source the crystal.

It has regulator because it's low beat (21600) A7750. Nevertheless, rotor is nice indeed, I hope they will start introducing this kind of rotor bearing on all versions of A7750.

regards

Colorao has spoken with Andrew today about the crystal on this watch. Andrew insists that the model is new and never produced and HAS sapphire glass... His 212 models are also advertised as such, but this is the one he says that "really" has it. Can anyone confirm this crystal as being sapphire.. If it is indeed "sapphire" why should we believe andrew and josh now.. when they've always used these advertising schemes to draw in more customers? This all goes back to the "little white lies" thread.... :whistling:

from what I figure, this is a new version of the old 212 (with the lowbeat 7750) that was selling for $198 but with a sapphire crystal for an extra $80.

:-)

btw: I'll be the guinea pig, I ordered one!

So who will be their guinea pig... I can't believe josh has a version that's $278 with mineral.. and for $10 more you receive a wath with sapphire.????? :g:

Edited by ewing

from what I figure, this is a new version of the old 212 (with the lowbeat 7750) that was selling for $198 but with a sapphire crystal for an extra $80.

:-)

btw: I'll be the guinea pig, I ordered one!

take a shard of mineral crystal to the new crystal to see if it resists scratching!

No news on the 286... I had no idea this was planning on being repped... since when? Why would they rep a watch that has no actual rattrapante function and is 97% exactly the same as a 253????

Mr. Plai, you should spend some time on Repgeek. I got the news from there.

And why would they rep the 286? Well.. the dial is totally different and it is a newer model, so people want to buy that much more instead of a 2006 SE model...

And the dial is very cool, with the big dots. similar to models like pam156 or pam024.

Mr. Plai, you should spend some time on Repgeek. I got the news from there.

And why would they rep the 286? Well.. the dial is totally different and it is a newer model, so people want to buy that much more instead of a 2006 SE model...

And the dial is very cool, with the big dots. similar to models like pam156 or pam024.

I still rest my case.. 97% the same.. and the gen watch came out in 2007..... it's a 3 year old design.. just now being released.. although i have to admit it looks nice.. that big useless button on the left side just doesn't convince me especially if it's not functional.. kind of like the topgun with doppelgraph function and that big button on the side that serves no purpose..... :whistling:

as an aside to this discussion, a while back andrew and josh teamed up to bring a sapphire version of the 212 to the boards that was available for a limited period of time (ie. a couple months). looks like they have either ordered a new run from that factory or a different factory has started producing 212's with sapphire crystals.

hope this helps :victory:

deltatahoe

It has regulator because it's low beat (21600) A7750. Nevertheless, rotor is nice indeed, I hope they will start introducing this kind of rotor bearing on all versions of A7750.

regards

where did you get the wisdom that it is a low beat version?

Lately some movements that went through my hands from different brands, I had several A7750 with working regulator and being 28.8k., confirmed by my TYMC Timegrapher.

Edited by hooky

where did you get the wisdom that it is a low beat version?

Lately some movements that went through my hands from different brands, I had several A7750 with working regulator and being 28.8k., confirmed by my TYMC Timegrapher.

usually if it doesn't explicitly say 28.8, it's 21.6

So if v2 doesn't have sapphire, then they are getting an extra $80 for the low end 212...

because I can't see anything more to justify the price...

I got clarification from toro and hont that the new 212/253 are indeed 21.6 movements and also not sapphire. Well toro only confirmed the 21.6 not the sapphire but hont confirmed both.