When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reproducing the 212 with Sapphire crystal

plaifender

So if v2 doesn't have sapphire, then they are getting an extra $80 for the low end 212...

because I can't see anything more to justify the price...

Andrew has changed his description of the new 212v2 for a synthetic sapphire...

Josh still hasn't.

It seems that I will have to send the watch back when it gets here because I didn't get what I was supposed to...

:thumbdown:

Edited by ewing

Andrew has changed his description of the new 212v2 for a synthetic sapphire...

Josh still hasn't.

It seems that I will have to send the watch back when it gets here because I didn't get what I was supposed to...

:thumbdown:

If I were you I would notify the seller already that you want to return the watch upon arrival, because they used intentional misleading sales information. Of course they knew it was mineral...

So if v2 doesn't have sapphire, then they are getting an extra $80 for the low end 212...

because I can't see anything more to justify the price...

toro exact words are youre getting a "crappier" version hahaah

you also have to understand this "v2 or v3" whatever it is, its coming from a different factory. The ultimate version comes form the same factory as the hublot so you can expect quality. I am not sure where these newer ones are from but if one of the dealer says your getting less of a watch for a higher price ill take his word for it. Toro a stand up dealer and he'll tell you like it is unlike someone *cartel* that just wants to make an extra buck from us.

Edited by jimmynugent

• 1 month later...

Personally, I wouldn't believe most of the things Joshua and/or Andrew state on their websites. :brow:

Well maybe 65% of decription is correct? thats a C+

Andrew is still using the term Lemania to describe the VENUS 175 :bangin: .......6-7 years along he should have learnt the difference...but to be fair with Trusty Andrew he is just a businessman and newer seemed to ever want to know the difference between an Asian and Swiss movement either....

No, Mineral is mineral, and most/all sapphire is synthetic. A gen sapphire crystal would be something else!

Synthetic sapphire is what we test for and expect.

Here is an info sheet from our website which may explain things better.

The first thing we see when we look at our watch is the glasswhich protects the dial and hands, its crystal.

A scratched or marked crystal is visually distressing, anddevalues your treasured timepiece.

Instead of replacing a scratched crystal, which can becomeexpensive, you can look at polishing it, to return it to its former glory.

First, however, you need to know what material your crystal ismade of.

There are basically three materials used to make crystals, Acrylicor plexiglass, Mineral glass, and Synthetic sapphire. It can be sometimesdifficult to know exactly what material yours is.

(There are some other composite crystals which are a mixture ofthose listed above. We will deal with them separately)

Firstly Acrylic. If you tap an acrylic crystal with your fingernail you will hear a

Thanks, OS, for sharing that. Very informative.

What I should have said was, aren't the terms mineral glass and synthetic sapphire as used by our dealers interchangable and almost always indicate mineral glass?

Maybe thats why I sell as many diamond testers as I do?rolleyes.gif

O/S

I still don't get it reading many posts on this topic over the past months...recently I have seen "synthetic sapphire" used by several dealers...I say that is just marketing set up to confuse buyers!...I don't care the about the MOH hardness or whether the crystals are arranged in a Tetrahedral or an Octahedral configuration...just stick to the terms that have been always used: MINERAL & SAPPHIRE

Years ago when I would buy watches from EL...there was "MINERAL" and "SAPPHIRE"...everyone knew, mineral scratched easily and sapphire did not...forget all the science hype and mumbo jumbo and sandwiched crystals.

dealers should stick with SAPPHIRE & MINERAL...that's it...forget the fancy "synthetic sapphire" political correctness......we all know a watch crystal will not be made out of "pure" sapphire...just like a gold used in watches is not pure gold

as Nakor put's it..."synthetic sapphire" is just another word for "mineral glass"

If dealers want to prevent buyer's brains from exploding...please leave MINERAL and SAPPHIRE designations alone...and dump that garbage marketing "synthetic sapphire" description

I would recommend any buyer to avoid buying any of these watches if the crystal is 'mineral' or says 'synthetic sapphire' (unless we are talking vintage of course)...of course you have the exceptions in the 212 or 253...if you really like the watch, you will have to get it how it comes.