When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Light Meter Suggestions

So, I am playing with a manual lens with my D40 and i am wondering if there are any decent light meters out there (that don't cost a fortune) that I can use to help me out a little. Ideally one that I can set to aperture priority and have it tell me the best shutter speed to use and ISO settings.

Any suggestions?

Sekonic 308. But I'm not sure you need one for the purpose your describe...

In Av mode, you set the aperture and the camera will select the appropriate shutter speed to expose the image properly.

In general, set the ISO as low as possible in order to achieve your desired aperture and/or shutter speed. A little reading will help you a lot. You need to learn about depth of field, and shutter speed for freezing motion, minimum shutter speed for a particular focal length, etc.

Sekonic 308. But I'm not sure you need one for the purpose your describe...

In Av mode, you set the aperture and the camera will select the appropriate shutter speed to expose the image properly.

In general, set the ISO as low as possible in order to achieve your desired aperture and/or shutter speed. A little reading will help you a lot. You need to learn about depth of field, and shutter speed for freezing motion, minimum shutter speed for a particular focal length, etc.

True, but when the lens is reversed? :D No metering, no nothing. It's all manual. Also looking into getting a Bellows Extension for some fun macro work. I don't mind playing with different settings, but the light meter would make it a little easier :D

I have a Sekonic Flashmate L-308b light meter... would be willing to sell it if you wish, it just sits in my closet.

It's a great meter and I have only used it a few times as I got out of photography...

Here is a few reviews:

http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr/sekonic/light-meters/PRD_84282_3115crx.aspx

True, but when the lens is reversed? :D No metering, no nothing. It's all manual. Also looking into getting a Bellows Extension for some fun macro work. I don't mind playing with different settings, but the light meter would make it a little easier :D

Ah Ok.... your post threw me. No worries... If swdivad makes you a nice deal, that will be a good meter.

I have a Sekonic Flashmate L-308b light meter... would be willing to sell it if you wish, it just sits in my closet.

It's a great meter and I have only used it a few times as I got out of photography...

Here is a few reviews:

http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr/sekonic/light-meters/PRD_84282_3115crx.aspx

Thanks for the offer. The only thing is, I would really want one that does Aperture Priority. Looks like the 308 only has Shutter Priority mode.

Thanks for the offer. The only thing is, I would really want one that does Aperture Priority. Looks like the 308 only has Shutter Priority mode.

Move up to the 328 or 358. fredmiranda.com has a great Buy&Sell section to the forum. Lots of equipment moves through it. These Sekonics go for under $200 all the time.

Guest ThePhilosopher

I'd suggest shooting manual then it doesn't matter which meter you have. :whistling: I'm a fan of the Sekonic 308S, I've used one for 3 years (on location and in studio) and have it be dead on and you can always block the dome to prevent light from another strobe from affecting your meter.

Edited by ThePhilosopher

Guest ThePhilosopher

I've used one before - I haven't owned one. I know a guy who used an old Gossen until it refused to function after being taken apart and put back together one too many times.

I've used one before - I haven't owned one. I know a guy who used an old Gossen until it refused to function after being taken apart and put back together one too many times.

How did it work for you? Found a really good deal on one and from the reviews, it seems to be a pretty solid meter and does what I would need it to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome pic!!! Yes, not guessing at exposure sure is handy! Just got a WhiBal card and Nikon Capture NX2 editing software so guessing at the White Balance will also be a thing of the past! :D

WhiBal_PK_Main_9632.jpg

NX2 is an insane program! So far really loving it!

Guest ThePhilosopher

I'm glad you like NX2 - it never fit into my workflow well (a lot like lightroom, it just doesn't work for me.) Setting a custom white balance pays off too.