When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3D photography test

Ever since I saw Avatar a few months ago, my interest in 3D has started to grow. After reading a few tutorials, I decided to try my hand at making a few 3D pics. So far I only have the pics below, and some pics of my Micro RC helicopters, but I thought it would be cool to post a few pics here.

All you'll need a pair of anaglyphic (red/blue) 3D glasses. Click on the pics to get the bigger version.

P22_Ebel_1sm.jpg P22_Ebel_2sm.jpg

If anyone is interested , I'd be more than glad to explain the process.

Very cool. Arent polarised glasses more popular than red/greem these days?

Check this out:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/sModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=399013&catGroupId=14616&surfModel=AJ-HDX900

There would be such a massive market for cheap 3d cameras that I'm sure in 5 years kids will be running around with them.

Very cool. Arent polarised glasses more popular than red/greem these days?

Check this out:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/sModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=399013&catGroupId=14616&surfModel=AJ-HDX900

There would be such a massive market for cheap 3d cameras that I'm sure in 5 years kids will be running around with them.

Anaglyphic glasses are still the most common, especially for home use. Even in theaters they still use them. I saw Avatar twice, once in SoCal, and the theater was using anaglyphs, the other in San Francisco, and they were using polarized lenses. In both cases the experience was the same.

From what I understand, true polarized solutions are not yet ready for home use, it has something to do with the improper "retinal" response when viewed on direct screens (LCD, plasma, etc). When viewed on a reflected image (i.e projection) it works fine, but on an LCD the angle of view is so limited that the difference between seeing 3D or one eye being darkened altogether is only a few inched side to side.

Most 3D videos currently being offered use either the blue/red (actually Cyan/red to be exact), or red/green (it's really magenta/green).

I'm also finding that different movie releases have somewhat different shades of red or Cyan (especially the cyan, which can be lighter or darker), which are tweaked for their movie, and don't work well with other movies.

I have about a dozen pairs of these glasses, from the cheap paper ones, to more sophisticatred plastic ones and lip-ons, and they're different enough from one another.

Guest avitt

Pretty cool shots, Dude. I viewed them with some red/blue glasses purchased from eBay (to use while playing 3D Wii games. They also worked extremely well for the Michael Jackson tribute at the Grammys.)