When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

crystal size?

The only problem with JTse sapphire crystals is their thickness. His are much thinner than standard crystals, less than half the thickness of a gen, I believe. So depending upon your case's bezel height, the top of the crystal may end up below the top of the bezel - giving it a sunken look.

I'm not familiar with standard crystals but older cartel manual winds and DSN manual winds have the crystal dimensions pretty much spot on to gen Panerai one.

The dimensions are:

35.5+/-0.05mm diameter and 3.5+/-0.04mm thickness measured in the center.

JT's crystals are also 35.5mm diameter but they're 3.06mm thick. Thickness of the crystal is only half the trouble. There is a noticeable difference in crystal clarity and refraction between all rep crystals I've seen and a gen crystal. I've heard good things about a certain eBay seller's crystals but I've not seen anyone post comparisons.

Yup, DSNs are good to go. Not cheap but closer to gen's and better than Jackson's/Getat's. The latter are slightly mistier than cartel/DSN sapphire, and I agree with w0lf on that point.

BTW, xtal position in reference to the top of the bezel is achieved with xtal press during the install. I prefer the one with screw top (I sold my traditional lever xtal press as soon as I bought this one) which adds much better glass height control during the install.

BTW, xtal position in reference to the top of the bezel is achieved with xtal press during the install. I prefer the one with screw top (I sold my traditional lever xtal press as soon as I bought this one) which adds much better glass height control during the install.

So xtals shouldn't just be pressed as far as they can go into the gasket?

So xtals shouldn't just be pressed as far as they can go into the gasket?

Not necessarily, however there's always a 'good' measure ;-)

I've 'fixed' couple of crystals on my Pam reps, where the crystal was originally mounted flush with the bezel edge. Removed them and re-installed again, this time with beveled xtal edge a hair above the bezel line.

cheers,

b

The only problem with JTse sapphire crystals is their thickness. His are much thinner than standard crystals, less than half the thickness of a gen, I believe. So depending upon your case's bezel height, the top of the crystal may end up below the top of the bezel - giving it a sunken look.

Really? How much thinner are they? Actually, do you know how thick they are??

• 8 years later...