When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Insanely tight rep Rolex casebacks

By-Tor

I had a guy who worked on my reps. Amazing skillful fella... but all watches he worked on have a small problem.

He says he used professional Rolex tool to close the casebacks and they're so tight that none of my forum friends haven't been able to open them.

I have a small mod in mind for my white franken-Explorer II but I'm afraid it will have the same faith: caseback can't be opened with the normal tools (sticky tape ball, etc.) I tried it with my Bergeon Rolex tool and... and I was once a competitive powerlifter... I should have at least some kind of grip strength left!!! It won't move at all.

Any tips?

Shock and awe, baby. It works every time. In this case (pun intended) try thermal shock. Get the watch good and hot then apply ice to the caseback to shrink it a little. I bet that will help.

Shock and awe, baby. It works every time. In this case (pun intended) try thermal shock. Get the watch good and hot then apply ice to the caseback to shrink it a little. I bet that will help.

Thanks man.

What do you mean "good and hot"? Just warming it up in your hands perhaps... or putting it into a toaster? :D

If he used a press style, accompanied with a die, you will struggle unless you find someone with a similar tool.

That one is always the tool of last resort for me with stubborn backs.

Like the LG Openall!

Bergeon and others have a similar version.

O/S

As Nanuq said the thermal shock looks the best methode to me.

I wonder how the seal looks like when the caseback is so tight.

Are going to change the hands or relume them to math them with the beautifull gen dial ??

Carpe Diem

Cats

It's nuts to tighten a caseback that much anyway. Anybody with a metallurgical background can tell you that a fastener (bolt, screw, caseback, etc.) acts like a "spring".

When properly torqued the fastener experiences an "elastic" deformation, literally stretching the metal like a spring. That tension is what holds parts together best.

If you over-torque a fastener it goes beyond the elastic to a "plastic" deformation, permanently stretching the fastener and altering its metallurgic properties. This is what you feel on a bolt when you give it "just a little more" torque, then it suddenly gets a little easier to turn... the tension overcame its tensile strength and it stretched. Presto, the bolt is ruined. It will never keep anything tight.

With a good fresh caseback seal, you can put on a caseback with your thumbs and it will be waterproof-ish. Give it another 1/8 turn with a tool, and it should be perfect. And, you'll be able to remove it again later.

By-Tor, did the heat/cold trick work? If not, you might have an additional issue with static friction.

If it's that tight there's a LOT of pressure on the mating surfaces and you need to shock them loose to overcome that static friction. Like tapping a nail into wood, you can't just press a nail into wood. Same with removing it... give it a whack to get it going, then it will come a lot easier.

Thanks for the tips guys... much appreciated. I will try the heating/cold method in Sunday. Very busy weekend for me... haven't tried it yet.

@Cats: No, I'm just planning on swapping a gen crown and tube there. It has better rep crown but nothing beats the gen.

One other thing to try. You mentioned having a Bergeon, correct?

Do you also have a Horb/Ofrei Sticky ball?

The problem with the Bergeon in this is case is you WILL slip with its handle unless you have a good case holder.

Ok-- Using the Die only from the Bergeon

1.) Set the watch face down on something that will not damage the crystal/cyclops/etc.

2.) Put the Bergeon Die on the case back

3.) Put the Sticky/Ofrei Ball on top of the Bergeon Die.

4.) Use some of that muscle with some downward force to keep the die from slipping off the caseback. (careful)

Maybe, just maybe this will do the trick...

I have the almost exact same thing going on By-Tor. My Sub took a big shock the other day and something came loose inside.....been trying everything for two days and can't budge the caseback. Had a local watch repair shop try yesterday and all he did was put a scratch in the back. :black_eye:

Going to give the hot/cold thing a try as well today......here's hoping.

If that fails I may just blast it with WD-40 and take a hammer to it. :whistling:

Please let us know how things work out for you and I'll do the same.