When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did you ever get lucky on ebay?

praetor

• 2 weeks later...

I got this little number a few months back... from get this, a guy from Mexico with zero feedbacks, I guess that why it was pretty cheap every one else was too scared to bid on it! But of course he turned out to be legit (very nice guy aswell) and more than happy with the watch!

img0477uc.jpg

img0478rv.jpg

good old ebay

Like Watchmeister, some of the best and some of the worst. I have been on Ebay since 1999, back then, there wereen't as many crooks and scammers and you could pick up some real bargains. Today it'sa lot harder, especially if it's a popular or well known item. Back in the early years I was collecting vintage fountain pens, and I got some real bargains.

Watch wise, i picked up quite a few Doxa dive watches at good prices before they got popular. Probably my best one is this old Doxa pre-sub dive watch from the early 1960's. Thus far it's the only one that has surfaced from that era.

P6120019a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some nice finds here.. The Speedmaster X-33 is a cool watch, this is even the newer version!! The vintage Doxa looks great! :)

I think there could be done some great deals on the less common brands.

My best deal was a 1969 Omega Speedmaster Mark II, back in 2006. It was a US-only auction, with a bad picture. I was in Houston at the time, and to my surprise I won the auction for 350 USD! It turned out to be a great watch, on its original bracelet. :)

Unfortunately, it was stolen one year later (together with some replicas and a 1970 Heuer Carrera Chronograph Calibre 12). I still miss the Speedy, and wonder where it is now. :(

Mk2_wrist.jpg

DSC_1203.jpg

Mk2_logo1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Unlike most, my primary goal on ebay is locating hard-to-find parts & for this it is exemplary. Once the acquisition of Rolex parts became a high priority, pricing, as a deciding factor, took a back seat. For me, the salient issue is being able to locate what I am looking for. If I can get the item for a good price, that is just icing on the cake.

• 2 weeks later...

I scored a '73 red sub, SN#3.7 on ebay. The lister messed the pics up, so when I contacted him via skype to get good pictures he found out I was in Iraq. He had done two tours in Nam, so he ended the auction early and held the watch for me until I came home. The piece is near mint with all the original links to the bracelet, there is some very slight chipping under the 6 o'clock tick marks. But the markers are great cream color and it runs like a champ...and all I had to do was spend 2 years in the desert for the discount.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

awesome people out there. Congrats!

I scored a '73 red sub, SN#3.7 on ebay. The lister messed the pics up, so when I contacted him via skype to get good pictures he found out I was in Iraq. He had done two tours in Nam, so he ended the auction early and held the watch for me until I came home. The piece is near mint with all the original links to the bracelet, there is some very slight chipping under the 6 o'clock tick marks. But the markers are great cream color and it runs like a champ...and all I had to do was spend 2 years in the desert for the discount.

My best buy on eBay has been a couple of months back. Bought a old pocket watch of which I suspected it could contain a Cortebert movement. It was advertised as non working, also in the advertisement there was nothing mentioned about Cortebert or 616. Pictures were also bad. Paid around € 4 for it. :thumbsupsmileyanim::whistling:

Upon arrival when I opened the caseback a old Cortebert 616 was in it. I Needed some spare parts to get it working again, like a balance wheel (which I had), but it was a great find.

Not often....rule of thumb, SELL on EBay and BUY somewhere else.....at least when it comes to the actual watch. I've bought genuines on TZ, worn them for a year or so, then sold on EBay for a very nice profit. I've seldom seen a truly good buy on a fine watch on Ebay, but, every once in a while you can get a gem on the WIS sites.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since RG is down and i am currently dealing heavily on Ebay i must say that the parts and movements i have bought on different forums has so far been in perfect order and reasonably priced while the "as new", "keeps perfect time" and "in good working order" parts i have bought off Ebay has required extensive and expensive servicing and repairing. The only luck i found on Ebay is that my watchmaking skills has increased - i can now clean, repair, oil and time movements and watches.

• Like 1

I did get lucky... and I mean lucky. I JUST bought a TAG Carrera Automatic Calibre 5 used from a gentleman in West Virginia. Some desk dive swirls on the bracelet (took it to the local TAG dealer and had it sent off to the watchmaker for a bracelet refinish at $50), but everything else looked great. The guy I bought it from received a Grand Carrera so he decided to sell. He spelled Carrera "carerra." I honestly think that, combined with his awful pictures worked in my favor. I talked to him beforehand and he was personable and seemed to know his stuff. Great feedback on 47 items and none of it was in watches. So, I won the auction at $654. I asked the dealer to ask the watchmaker to make sure it was authentic before doing the work. I'm actually going to the local AD tomorrow to pick it up. I'll be sure to take pictures and post in the TAG section because I want everyone's professional reassurance that I did by a gen (there's always a little doubt in the back of your mind when you find these things on ebay).

I did get lucky... and I mean lucky. I JUST bought a TAG Carrera Automatic Calibre 5 used from a gentleman in West Virginia. Some desk dive swirls on the bracelet (took it to the local TAG dealer and had it sent off to the watchmaker for a bracelet refinish at $50), but everything else looked great. The guy I bought it from received a Grand Carrera so he decided to sell. He spelled Carrera "carerra." I honestly think that, combined with his awful pictures worked in my favor. I talked to him beforehand and he was personable and seemed to know his stuff. Great feedback on 47 items and none of it was in watches. So, I won the auction at $654. I asked the dealer to ask the watchmaker to make sure it was authentic before doing the work. I'm actually going to the local AD tomorrow to pick it up. I'll be sure to take pictures and post in the TAG section because I want everyone's professional reassurance that I did by a gen (there's always a little doubt in the back of your mind when you find these things on ebay).

Nice pickup, and a good lesson to the seller about the value of proofreading.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, once on Ebay I got a date with Monica Belucci for $25.00. I thought that was fairly lucky. She is now my cleaning lady!:whistling:

• 1 month later...

i have managed to snap up some beauties from ebay, recently got two patek phillipes, sky moon tourbillon rep, and another fine patek, four panerai reps one of them in particular is amazing, a vacheron constantin overseas, a bell&ross, a lovely jaeger, two chopards, i didnt pay any more than £60 for any of them. people dont know what they own and just want rid of them, ebay remove them for being reps and then you swoop in with a low offer and blam new watch!

If you want to to get really lucky on eBay, you should look for "typing errors" (I dont know the word in english)

Fujitsu = Fujistu for a lot of users, and you can grab some very nice stuff at incredible prices sinc ethe visibility of the item is very low with this kind of mistake..

Breitling = bretling

• Like 1