Welcome to RWG - Fine watches, great people

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

By-Tor

By-Tor's All-Star Team 2010

47 posts in this topic

ff-3.jpg

I wanted to make a collection "update" for the year 2010. Actually I've done a similar thing every year.

This was the 2009 January "all star team". Not much changed after that... got rid of some and upgraded some reps to gens.

Here is a picture compilation of some reps that I have owned in the past.

After many, many watches I'm now sitting with 4 gens and 5 reps/frankens. So I've managed to keep my watch total very low, at 9. That has always been my goal because I want to wear all my watches regularly. That's what they're designed for.

GENUINES:

Pepsi GMT Master 16710 2003 K-Serial Article of this watch.

h.jpg

After owning numerous reps of my grail Rolex 16710, I finally gave up two years ago and purchased the gen. I should have done it right away instead of wasting my time with reps. This is by far my favorite Rolex ever and it represents everything that sports Rolexes are famous for. Although I kinda like the wine/black version too, Pepsi bezel is the only "purist" option for the GMT. The 3185 movement is (imho) the finest and most practical GMT movement ever done. I never understood why plain stainless steel Sub is just as expensive in the preowned market as GMT. Cal. 3185 is a real complication and while the 3135 is a robust and legendary machine, practically it's still just similar workhorse as basic ETA. The only annoyance on this watch is the lack of quick-set date. Preowned in good condition + full paperwork will cost you about $4K.

Omega Seamaster "Bond" Automatic Article of this watch.

IMG_1535.jpg

Another watch that I owned as a rep before. Some watches come and go and then the novelty wears off. Bond Seamaster is one of those watches that kept the attraction for me. I owned the rep for 4 years before I purchased the gen. You can find preowneds even as low as 1K but if you want "minty" one with all papers and boxes, I believe $1.3K is closer to the truth. Why bother with the reps and frankens, 1K+ is a STEAL, for a watch like this. I bought mine from a fellow RWG member and it's in superb condition. "Bond" is already a modern classic and very iconic Omega model.

TAG Aquaracer Automatic Chronograph Date Article of this watch.

68.jpg

As usual, I owned the rep first but never fully warmed up to the large day-date version. Watch ads don't usually "strike" me at all, especially TAGs with those cheesy celebrities, but after seeing this ad I wanted the smaller and more balanced 41.5mm "date-only" version.

wall-pap-1_800.jpg

This is probably my favorite chronograph watch. Actually it wears plenty big at 41.5mm... just perfect actually. I really love blue dials and Aquaracer blue is deep and beautiful. This watch is synonymous to "sporty". People who diss TAG Heuer are clueless morons. The more expensive automatic TAGs are amazingly well made watches... my 'Racer has the best finish and details of all my gens. SELs fit 100,00% perfectly, the bracelet brushed/polished areas are stunning, etc. I really want to add another TAG into my collection eventually. New Link Chrono (the one that has 2xAR) sounds like a perfect candidate.

Breitling Steelfish SuperOcean X-Plus 2006 model Article of this watch.

1.jpg

Another sporty blue dial. As usual, I "rep tested" this one for years. I doubt there is a better looking diver watch than the blue Fish. It's absolutely perfect in every way. The rep is incredibly good but nothing beats the gen Breitling dials... especially the characteristic "3D Guilloche" on the Fish. Preowned gens go for $1.2K (standard condition) to around $1.8K (like new and mint). Great value for money, very beautiful watch.

REPLICAS/FRANKENS:

EBEL Discovery 1911 Chronograph Article of this watch.

IMG_1165.jpg

After my brother "adopted" my white Broad Arrow chrono, I wanted another white dial chronograph. Discovery filled the gap nicely. This must be among the top-5 replicas ever. It's superbly accurate. White dial watches are very "low key" and this is dressy enough to wear with a suit. There's plenty to love about Ebels... the unique case shape, hidden clasp, well made bracelets and all around classy appearance. I also owned the BTR chrono and it was the best built rep I ever had. I still ended up keeping the Discovery. I really, really hope they'll eventually replicate the BTR accurately, it must be one of the most impressive gens that has been released in the past years.

BREITLING Skyland Avenger v2 Article of this watch.

1-1.jpg

I wanted another Breitling and tried BCE v3 graphite first. Beautiful watch but somehow it didn't "grab" me at all. Then I wanted to try the Skyland. I thought the polished Pro2 bracelet would turn me off but it didn't. I was surprised how much I like this watch. It's not a beautiful watch in traditional sense... the thickness makes it look clumsy and "gross" in some ways, but that's exactly what makes it so attractive (in a weird way). I wanted v2 and managed to get very good example from my mate Importr, with excellent lume dots. For a guy like me who has seen them all, owned them all, reps rarely impress me anymore... but Skyland definitely belongs to that category. Very impressed of the v2. And about those three lume dots... if naked eye can't see the misalignment, does it even matter?

ROLEX Explorer II "Frankenwatch" Article of this watch.

IMG_8244.jpg

This has been in my collection for over 3 years and the watch itself is 4+ years old. It's the correct hand stack version with genuine white dial. The CHS movement has always been a bit fast but functionally 100% perfect. But then again I have never even touched the independent hour hand setting. That might be the secret behind its perfect function. I owned the black for a while and I liked it a lot, but in the end of the day I still prefer the white version.

OMEGA Seamaster "Bond" Chronograph Article of this watch.

3-1.jpg

This is the favorite replica watch in my collection hands down. I received a genuine insert from a forum friend and my rep is a rare one with the OTB ETA-datewheel. I also installed a pin-version "old school" SMP bracelet which is 95% as good as the gen. With these small details it must be the best and most accurate Omega rep out there. Amazing. If the movement ever fails, this gets a Swiss 7750 heart instantly, I love this watch.

Rolex Submariner WM9 v2 Article of this watch.

small.jpg

What is a sports watch collection without plain' old black steel Sub? Answer: A non-finished collection. Sub is a "must have" because it's a legend. I have v1 SELs installed on my v2 and a genuine insert on its way to me. Tribal and watcher (our main 16610 experts) think v2 is actually the best of the bunch so I doubt I ever have to upgrade. At some point I thought about getting the no-date gen but I think I'm standing pretty happy with my v2 rep.

So... that is my current (small) collection of 9 sports watches... the ones that have captured my heart (for now, at least). 8-9 watches is a perfect collection size for me. At the moment I'm not looking to add anything else. But if the new upcoming "Ultimate" 42mm Planet Ocean manages to impress me, that might be worth purchasing. But that's a big IF. I've been thinking about WM9 TT Sub too, but it would probably have the same faith as my previous ones... gold is not for me.

I hope you enjoyed my small 2010 collection update. :)

2 people like this

Very nice collection, thanks for sharing, sweet watches one and all! B)

A very nice, well rounded collection you've got there BT! Thanks for sharing and as usual, your photos are superb!!

As usual your photo's are first class. So is your collection. I'm in sync with everyone.

And I know you'll wear 'em well!thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

This is great...fantastic watches...and a nice story of your journey through collecting.

Great post By-tor....my taste in watches really has become very similar to yours, because I consider each one of those a classic! I really miss my Exp2 (it was a bad decision to sell that one!)

I really do need to get hold of one of those Ebel's, I have read all of the great reviews, now I think it's time to try one! BTW, have you tried the new Aquaracer yet, I think it's one you might enjoy :)

Thank you for the interest, all!

BTW, have you tried the new Aquaracer yet, I think it's one you might enjoy :)

Oh yeah, I've been thinking about it. It's a great looker... but you know me, I love blue dials and the rep blue dial is absolutely NOTHING like the gen. It's totally off, and I'm not sure if the black one does it for me.

Do you still have yours?

Very handsome collection, BT. And great photography to show it off!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks Chief! :good:

What a versatile collection of beauties BT! Wear them in good health and thanks for sharing! :drinks:

You continously set such a high standard, better quality write up and photo's than the watch magazines on the display stand at my local bookstore.

Thanks for this, very well done, and superb photo's.

Loving the current collection BT thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks all for the positive comments. Appreciated. :good:

Beautiful watches By-Tor... I know what you mean about the SMP Pros... I have my gen Bond on my wrist at the moment, my Ti Bond chrono got stolen years ago :(

That SFSO is screaming at me too ;)

Off topic, but in regards to your avatar, I saw Rush in a movie theater in framingham MA back around 1979... what a concert!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Very sweet my friend!! Enjoy them all!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great post BT :)

Like many of the WISs on the forums, you've spent so much time, money and effort in testing and tasting the gazillions of watches out there. It comes as no surprise to read about how you came to own "watch x" after countless reps of "watch x". I sympathise with you there!

Its great to see that you have evolved your collection to something as close to perfection as you would like. The 10 watch philosophy seems to work well, as you said, the watches do get their fair share of wrist time. Although I thought it was 10 REPs, not including gens!! :bleh:

I noticed something else about your collection, they are all actually perfectly attainable watches! Granted, the gens are expensive - but there is nothing in the collection to suggest ostentation or flamboyance! Well done on achieving the right balance!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by Importr

I noticed something else about your collection, they are all actually perfectly attainable watches! Granted, the gens are expensive - but there is nothing in the collection to suggest ostentation or flamboyance! Well done on achieving the right balance!

Thanks man.

Funny thing is, I'm a big fan of gold watches. But most of them are dressy and smallish, and I think that they wouldn't look good on me. I don't like to dress up that often and wear lots of sporty clothes. Gold watch with that kind of clothing style wouldn't look that good.

Gold isn't fashionable right now, but perfect balanced collection needs one TT/gold piece. Maybe one day I'll find something that I could comfortably wear.

Thanks again. :)

BY-TOR -

I've been admiring your watches and reviews for a year or so now. Thanks for all the help for us newbies. I am out to purchase a Sub LV, as well as a watch in ceramic white for my wife. First question is where would you get the best LV you can find. I've had great success through joshua and would use him again. Also, I like the Chanel J12 for my wife...any experience with that?

Thanks to anyone who may have some feedback.

That's a fine collection, some real variety across the range of watches (No PAMs though ;) ) Thanks for taking the time to share it with us :victory:

That's the kind of collection that I think many strive for. Quality over quantity. Great line up, buddy... Well rounded and diverse selection that gives you a little bit of everything.

Very nice indeed!

That is a beautiful collection, all of it, but every time I see that 1911 of yours the old heart starts racing.

Funny considering all my watches are black dials.

Ken

awesome collection, I love that Exp.II especially. I traded my gen a few months back but it will be my next purchase, just saving up.

Thanks Gentlemen.

I'm very happy with these watches and currently I don't even have any new purchases in mind.

Well, besides a 42mm Planet Ocean. But let's see how the new one turns out first.

Thanks Gentlemen.

I'm very happy with these watches and currently I don't even have any new purchases in mind.

Well, besides a 42mm Planet Ocean. But let's see how the new one turns out first.

Any idea on where to by a 50th Sub? Was thinking from Joshua but am open to suggestions. Thanks again fr all the info...awesome late night reading when I'm stuck watching some dumb show with my wife...

Seeker

For Sub... go for bklm1234. WM9 is simply the best... no other versions can be compared.

Happy hunting! :good:

1b.jpg