When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

buying straps is a science?

gran

Yes! I now know that selecting the better strap and deployment/buckle for a watch is hard work...and I am just starting to get into buying "custom made" straps.....

Previosuly I have used what I have received from joshua and other dealers and been happy with that, but now I see that there is more to it than that...there are multiple aspects to take into consideration...hell you can even order Name Stamping on the inside of the strap these days

Just ordered a similar to this strap from Hong kong but different buckle and flatter style (= not as padded as this one)

hornbackcrocodile.jpg

Details of mine:

Strap: E128DH Horn Back Crocodile_Double Horns

1. Strap Style : 71G (Standard) # Standard Flat Style_4mm

2. Size : 24x22mm

3. Length : 115x75mm_Men's Standard

4. Stitch Colour : Black

5. Buckle : NC/144 polished

6. Name Stamping : yes

7. Quick Release Pin (Not Available For Panerai) : NA

Hornback Leather Colors : E12801 # Black

It is for my FM LI Crazy hour hopefully I will find that missing screw before it arrives

As I said earler....I am now starting to appreciate the importance of the strap type and feel to feel comfortable and prouder wearing some of my older replicas. Certainly the deploymant/buckle is an important issue also.

I have no previous experience with inspire-workshop.com but at least their website is a good inroduction int the details of selecting the correct strap when it comes to size, length, width, thickness, shape and other issues

I know that quite a few of members here are true experts on straps, and even sell or make their own, so maybe they should educate us even further on this topic??...I suggest that someone should start a thread stating/suggesting what strap lengths, shape and other dimensions are most suitable for our watches, and this is particularly needed for the less popular brands like Franck Muller

Good evening

Gunnar :drinks:

Good post Gran, Pams and breitlings got me Into straps. I guess that holds true for most of us here. If you liked the rep straps than these high quailty straps are going to blow your fu*&ing mind. I wont even look at a rep strap anymore. :pardon: I dont mean to sound like a snob but??? you will see soon enough. Heroic 18 and Strap culture are also very good. Panatime also has some nice straps at very good prices. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

Good post Gran, Pams and breitlings got me Into straps. I guess that holds true for most of us here. If you liked the rep straps than these high quailty straps are going to blow your fu*&ing mind. I wont even look at a rep strap anymore. :pardon: I dont mean to sound like a snob but??? you will see soon enough. Heroic 18 and Strap culture are also very good. Panatime also has some nice straps at very good prices. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

Good to be a snob

So I guess blackbard and the like might be the next logical step. I know they make straps for the big sports watches but Do they make straps for the more gentleman looking replicas as well?

and what about prices ..what is a reasonable price for a normal size hornback strap?

Well Gran they can make a strap for any watch that you like, as long as they have the lug size. Most Pams for example are 24mm lug width. Also make sure that the watch Is long enough, most strap sites have sizing charts, I know Panatime does. They match up your wrist size, for example I have a 7 1/2 In wrist. Take a string and wrap It around your wrist and mark It off. Then measure the length of the string. Hornbacks are not cheep, I would say a good quailty hornback will run you around $125-150, probably more. The nicest buckle I have every seen Is @ Heroic 18, It has a submarine carved out of the buckle. I think they around $55.00. But they are the baddest ass buckles that you will ever see Imho. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well Gran they can make a strap for any watch that you like, as long as they have the lug size. Most Pams for example are 24mm lug width. Also make sure that the watch Is long enough, most strap sites have sizing charts, I know Panatime does. They match up your wrist size, for example I have a 7 1/2 In wrist. Take a string and wrap It around your wrist and mark It off. Then measure the length of the string. Hornbacks are not cheep, I would say a good quailty hornback will run you around $125-150, probably more. The nicest buckle I have every seen Is @ Heroic 18, It has a submarine carved out of the buckle. I think they around $55.00. But they are the baddest ass buckles that you will ever see Imho. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Long Islands are same lug distance then

7 1/2 ??? Metrics is the only system I use...my wrist is 190mm so guess quite large wrist size on me :drinks:

yes I appreciate the size issues and certainly the size of the watch or actually the distance between the lugs is important not to forget...I simply measured the strap already on the watch and ordered according to that :1a:

It turned out that for this one (the FM Long Island style being quite a distance between lugs) neede to be only 115x75mm = Men's Standard

I had to pay 130 + shipping for my Hornback so guess its in the correct price range

Long Islands are same lug distance then

7 1/2 ??? Metrics is the only system I use...my wrist is 190mm so guess quite large wrist size on me :drinks:

yes I appreciate the size issues and certainly the size of the watch or actually the distance between the lugs is important not to forget...I simply measured the strap already on the watch and ordered according to that :1a:

It turned out that for this one (the FM Long Island style being quite a distance between lugs) neede to be only 115x75mm = Men's Standard

I had to pay 130 + shipping for my Hornback so guess its in the correct price range

$130 sounds like a very fair price for a good quailty Hornback :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks here is my 4th generation 42mm PO on a new leather strap...using its as a replacement for a faulty SS bracelet

Looks good? or is bracelett better you think?

4thpo42mmwrist.jpg

4thpo42mmstrap.jpg

4thpo42mmc.jpg

Thanks here is my 4th generation 42mm PO on a new leather strap...using its as a replacement for a faulty SS bracelet

Looks good? or is bracelett better you think?

4thpo42mmwrist.jpg

4thpo42mmstrap.jpg

4thpo42mmc.jpg

I keep mine on the SS. The last time I tried to remove the bracelet I broke two sping bar tool removers. Talk about a pain In the ass :angry: I like the way the black leather strap looks on your PO but I will never try to remove that dam bracelet again. I like the strap change system on Pams and also Oris, Nice and easy with a micro screwdiver. It's nice to change around, gives the watch a new look. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 4 months later...

love this topic.

straps are definitely a connoisseur thing. yes you can be happy with rep straps, but the true, hand made straps built to customers specs are definitely mind blowing. I mean length is important if you want to see more tail but for me it is the softness level. I want a buttery strap that's not too thick but thick enough to look special.

Every strap dealer has a certain style that you accustom to.

Honestly, anything but that strap. Doesn't look good at all... at least to my taste. Hopefully you don't mind my honesty.

You god damn idiot..obviously I mind you moron... :bangin:

moron.jpg

:g: anyhow you might have a point...... I have quit using that strap now :p ...besides the SS bracelet is the only thing that really fits this watch well.....

love this topic.

straps are definitely a connoisseur thing. yes you can be happy with rep straps, but the true, hand made straps built to customers specs are definitely mind blowing. I mean length is important if you want to see more tail but for me it is the softness level. I want a buttery strap that's not too thick but thick enough to look special.

Every strap dealer has a certain style that you accustom to.

I always want to see more "tail" tail Is good :D