When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My New Nikon D90

redwatch

So I sold my D40 to jjenk last week so I could upgrade to a new D90. Now don't get me wrong, the D40 is a superb kit and takes amazing photos. However, with all of the macro fun I have been having lately, I really needed a camera that I could run from Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2. Basically it is remote software that connects your computer to your camera, and if it has Live View, it will show you what the camera is seeing on the computer screen. It makes manual focusing much easier and it prevents me from moving the camera around too much.

So, here's what I've got going:

• Nikon D90
  • Zeikos Dual Battery Grip
  • Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D Lens
  • Spiratone 75mm Flat Field Macro Lens

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

First of all, the Nikon 70-210mm Telephoto Lens is outstanding. If you are looking for a really good quality, super sharp lens, and don't have much to spend, this is the lens for you! I picked this up on Craigslist for $150.00 and it is in perfect condition! Of course, with it mounted on a DX Camera, the crop factor is 1.5x, so it is actually running at 105 - 315mm, which is a great zoom range! The auto-focus is super fast and has been spot on each time i've tried it.

IMG_1503.jpg

Here's a couple of quick pics I took the day I got the 70-210:

70mm

DSC_0015.jpg

210mm

DSC_0016.jpg

Secondly, the Spiratone Lens coupled to the Nikon Bellows is awesome! Very sharp and an incredible deal! I bought it on eBay for $15.50! The T-Mount adapter was $8.95. If you want to use a lens like this directly mounted on the camera, you would an extension tube. It doesn't have a focusing ring - you focus by moving closer or further from the subject. It looks like you would need about 40-50mm of extension to get this to focus properly.

IMG_1515.jpg

Here's a couple of pics with the Spiratone on the Bellows:

Img0026.jpg

Img0032.jpg

One last picture - taken with my 35mm AF-S prime lens:

DSC_0014.jpg

Guest ThePhilosopher

Yes, a friend of mine warned me that getting into D-SLR's is like crack. You can never get enough!!! :D It is definitely a dangerous addiction.....kind of like collecting watches :whistling:

I understand that and I'm already shooting a D3. I'm looking forward to a Hasselblad or Mamiya Digital next - fiending even.