When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nikon D5000 or Canon T1i?

Agreed. The D40 is an excellent camera for what it is. I just upgraded from the D40 to the D90. I do not believe the D5000 is much of an improvement over the D40. I'd either stick with the D40 and invest in some better lenses for it, or upgrade a little higher than the D5000. Just my 0.02 :D

Here's what best sums up the D5000 according to Ken Rockwell's site:

The D5000, like the D40, D40x and D60, lacks most of the D90's extra control buttons that make the D90 such a masterpiece. In terms of command and control, the D5000 is the same as the discontinued D40: you need menus to select among AF-S, AF-C and AF-A modes, AF-area modes, WB trims and etc.

I was thinking about the refurb one's but kinda hesistant. I guess it's a pretty good deal.

I was the same way, but I know a couple of people who went for it, and they were super happy they did. They are factory refurbished, and the way I look at it: if it's going to break, or show pixel issues with the sensor, it will happen right away.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a T1I and really like it. I had a d40 before, and sold it to get an Oly 510. The d40 takes amazing pictures, and I would suggest sticking with that until you can afford exactly what you want.

Buying lenses is also a good idea because lenses rarely depreciate.

• 2 weeks later...

bolo, i'm in the same position as you. The canon T1i and D5000 are both entry level SLR's (unfortunately you have sold your D40 already), so try save up for the D90 (which is the advice I got from nearly everyone on this forum and in the shops). In fact in alot of the retailers here the D90's have sold out. :huh: If youve been shooting with a D40 then the 90 will be a step up........ :thumbsupsmileyanim:

However, if youre in a hurry and cost is an issue, then Id probably say 500D (T1i) over the D5000......