When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My fist Rolex 5517 Project. Need urgent you help !

francodino

Dear Watch Lovers

This is my first Rolex Projekt (Military 5517)

I use a ETA 2824, but my problem is, the hands are scratching the dial.

The CANON PINION is to short (2.7mm) an the hour hand is on the dial.

I remember my panerai time, for the 6497 movement, there was a High CANON PINION to solve this problem.

Maybe, I make a mistake? Or is there also a High CANON PINION for the eta 2824 (longer than 2.7mm)

Please help! I'm shure, this is a beginner problem....

Thanks for your help

cheers markus

The canon pinion height that you have (2.7mm; that's almost 3mm tall!) should be more than sufficient for clearing a vintage style matte dial with painted hour indicies. Are you using a thick spacer ring between the dial and movement to get the stem centered in the tube? If yes, you should probably change from an ETA 2824 to 2836, as the 2836 will be a thicker movement. The spacer ring with an ETA 2824 will make the pinions sit deeper, and hence give you less overall height for the hands to clear the dial; the 2836, being thicker, will fill that gap and allow full height of the pinions to be realized.

Pictures would definitely help.

First off, is the stem aligned and centered in the case tube? If yes, then swapping to a 2836-2 is not going to solve the problem. The CP in the 2836 is 2.7mm.

What case are you using? If the stem is centered, then it could be a case issue.

In relation to the stem position, 2.7mm will be the same length for either movement, providing the stem is aligned and centered

-on the 2824-2, a 2.7mm CP will be 1.85mm over dial seat.

-on the 2836-2, a 2.7mm CP will be 1.40mm over dial seat, but remember, the 2836-2 dial seat is 0.45mm taller in order to fit the Day/Date discs.

If measuring from stem position, 2.7mm will be 2.7mm in either movement. So all I'm saying is if the 2824-2 stem is centered, and he does have a 2.7mm CP, then switching to a 2836-2 will not solve anything. A centered 2836-2 and a centered 2824-2 w/ 2.7mm CP will have exactly the same fitting height in relation to the stem.

;)

In relation to the stem position, 2.7mm will be the same length for either movement, providing the stem is aligned and centered

-on the 2824-2, a 2.7mm CP will be 1.85mm over dial seat.

-on the 2836-2, a 2.7mm CP will be 1.40mm over dial seat, but remember, the 2836-2 dial seat is 0.45mm taller in order to fit the Day/Date discs.

If measuring from stem position, 2.7mm will be 2.7mm in either movement. So all I'm saying is if the 2824-2 stem is centered, and he does have a 2.7mm CP, then switching to a 2836-2 will not solve anything. A centered 2836-2 and a centered 2824-2 w/ 2.7mm CP will have exactly the same fitting height in relation to the stem.

;)

If the stem is aligned and centered with a 2824 using a thick spacer to achieve centering of the stem, then that to me would indicate that the wrong movement is being used. And that is what I am getting at. If the OP is having clearance issues with a 2824 using a 2.7mm pinion, that to me would indicate that there is some spacing present to offset the height. A movement that is fitted flush with the dial (or with a small spacer) should provide sufficient pinion height and clearance of the hands to dial relationship.

Of course, the presumption of a spacer being used is conjecture for me at this point, as the original poster has not clarified if this is indeed the case. However, the lack of pinion height on a 2824 despite using a 2.7mm tall pinion would indicate to me that something isn't right.

Since I am a visual kind of guy, I figure pics (albeit bad ones) might explain where I'm comign from a bit easier.

Here is the stem position of a 2824 inside of a gen Rolex 162xx case:

IMG_3754.jpg

stem centered in the tube

And here is a 2836 in the same case:

IMG_3749.jpg

note that the stem is offset towards the back of the case

The above demonstrates that the 2836 is a thicker movement with a different stem height than it's 2824 counterpart.

Thus, if one had a case intended for a 2836 movement but was using a 2824 movement inside of it, they would have to add a spacer on the dial side of the movement to offset/shim the difference to bring the stem center in the tube. And if there is a spacer between the movement and the dial, that would in effect shorten the height of the pinion, exposing less pinion to affix the hand above the dial.

Whowwww.....

Thanks for the answers !

The ETA 2824 Movement, that I try to use, is a new old stock from tag heuer!

So, I have also a ETA 2836 (just for parts)and there is the pinion much longer. I have put my dial and the hands on the

ETA 2836 and.... yes it fits very good!

And now the question, is there a problem that the tag heuer movement is an old stock? Did they have shorter pinions in the past? Or has the 2836 a longer one than the 2824? :unsure:

There is the problem which is leading to confusion. Your 2824-2 must not have a 2.70mm CP as originally posted. Probably the stock 2.20mm.

And yes, R is 100% correct with the difference in stem position between the two. But since the OP stated you had a 2.70mm CP, I was just stating that swapping a 2836-2 would not make any difference. For a visual, picture a 2824-2 w/ 2.70mm CP sitting on your bench uncased. Now put a 2836-2 beside it. If you were to measure from the bench to center stem, it would be identical between the two. And if you were to measure from the bench to the top of the CP on both, it would be identical. Yes, it is now a moot point. But my post was going on the assumption that the 2824-2 had a 2.70mm CP, the stem was aligned, and a spacer was used. But now it looks like the 2824-2 is stock and hence the hand fitting problems.

peace brothers!

I think, the problem is the old stock ! :g:

Now I have ordered from cousinsuk.com the full packed of cannon pinion's and hour wheels !

How did a great singer says? "You can get it if you really want" ....But you must try, try and try Try and try, you'll succeed at last !!! :1a:

I hope the best !!!!

Thank's for all the very good answers !

Have a great weekend

markus

Edited by francodino