When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Painted/Aged "Vintage" PAM dials

TswissT

So it all started this morning...

1. Stripped a few dials I had on hand... One in particular turned out to be a "good" accident...I call this one the anomally dial... :)

When stripping dials; 99% of them come out shiny brass... This "anomally" remained black; but the text was instantly stripped; revealling the brass underneath... Now I have a very nice looking black finished dial with brass text... End result was a complete accident and looks really cool...

P1020591.jpg

P1020594.jpg

P1020599.jpg

P1020600.jpg

In addition to the above; my airbrush decided to start acting screwie... Every now and then, it would spurt a blob of paint. As opposed to the usual smooth covering. In the end; the texture of the dial is a bit heavy. I am not overly concerned, as the result came out alright.

P1020584.jpg

Here are some play-by-play...

Just painted and time to cook:

P1020576.jpg

P1020577.jpg

P1020578.jpg

After baking at 350 for 7 minutes:

P1020579.jpg

P1020580.jpg

P1020581.jpg

P1020582.jpg

I then filled the indices with resin...A new method I use is mixing a TON on lume with the resin and binder... I think they came out nicely:

And one of my nearly completed dials:

P1020592.jpg

P1020593.jpg

On another method. I left my 2 liner dial in its shiny brass condition and simply soaked it in my magic aging solution to turn it black. (Sorry, forgot to take pictures befor and after)

Here it is; my new 2-liner with aged brass dial (now a matte black/gray color with slightly aged hands) Completely assembled...

P1020585.jpg

P1020588.jpg

P1020589.jpg

P1020590.jpg

I can take better pics outside when it stops raining...