When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Closest Pam 249 dial See page 10 for the Final Piece

Rolexfinder

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff P! A few tweaks and it will be PERFECT! And as Miles mentioned, a run without the Swiss text will open the door to more sales of the dial. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

No, I think the Swiss text need to be there, but it should say Swiss Made instead of L Swiss Made L for a vintage starter dial.

Can't wait to see these finished Paul!!

I know the vintage version would sell well... drop the L L and don't lume it... the vintage version needs the puffy lume which Vac and the others can easily do... great dials...

+1. I'm seriously considering an accurate vintage 3646 build and an un-lumed and un L'ed dial of this quality would be perfect!

...plus a gold railroad track and white numerals - could be perfect ;)

ok, all the inputs for the perfect dial are here, now we need only P to push this project with the dial maker - will you do it P for us Vintage junkies?

Ok guys,

Talked with the company just now. Because I want it close to gen. Do you think using this dial as base for vintage dial will be ok? If yes, please put the requirement that I have to do on the dial to make it in vintage:

1) Take L word out

2) Unlumed on the number. :)

Cheers,

Paul

Ok guys,

Talked with the company just now. Because I want it close to gen. Do you think using this dial as base for vintage dial will be ok? If yes, please put the requirement that I have to do on the dial to make it in vintage:

1) Take L word out

Cheers,

Paul

Yep, no Ls so it just says Swiss Made and unlumed.

Ok guys,

1) Take L word out

Cheers,

Paul

I'm not the expert, but as someone posted earlier:

3) Make the dial ring (railroad track) gold in color

4) Make the numerals white (but this is probably more about the deposited lume than anything else)

The goal is something like these attached images of an early 1940's Cali. I'd really appreciate some of the Vintage heavies to validate the above as, again, I'm not nearly an expert.

post-29131-092429600 1278793935.jpg

post-29131-010957300 1278793944.jpg

post-29131-083429300 1278794035.jpg

Edited by hyperion

why do you guys want to waste this dial on vintage projects?

:bangin:

The whole point of this modern dial project is to capture the recessed numerals on the dial and color to the lume.

Which you totally ruin if you put snowflake/raised lume on it.

Just get a dsn dial and put vintage lume on it.

Any idea on a ball park price and release date?

Edited by CharlieUK

why do you guys want to waste this dial on vintage projects?

Just get a dsn dial and put vintage lume on it.

I can't speak for everyone, but my hope was that this dial would provide the most accurate replica of the original Cali. I'm not sure your post is suggesting that the DSN (or other rep dials) were copied from a gen dial? It was my understanding, however, that the 262 Radiomir was in fact patterned by Panerai from an original 3646 Cali dial, and so therefore a dial that's built from a gen sample of the 262 will have the best chance of hitting the original Cali dial as well.

If this is an incorrect assumption, please advise. Thanks.

Edited by hyperion

That's all? :)

Cheers,

Paul

The vintage dial for the silix 3646 cases also needs to be smaller in diameter at 36.85mm to 37mm otherwise the dial you're making won't fit. I believe the 3646 cases that NW is using is very similar specs to the new generation silix 3646 cases, so the resized dial should also work on NW's new 3646 cases but I will let NW confirm that.

The standard 249 cali dial is larger. Can you make this change as well in addition to removing the "L" from "L Swiss Made L" & leaving the indices unlumed (but in plain white for ease of reluming). On the indices, the unlumed areas needs to be slightly recessed like the gen vintage cali's I have seen.

Edited by R_Squared