When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project wrap up; Rolex 5514

Ubi,

Are you still using the same bracelet/clasp combo on this beautiful piece?

I am indeed. I should try and find a 93150 sometime, but I'm not terribly bothered with the 78360 and 580/93150 clasp combo. I've used this particular bracelet for the last 6 or so years throughout different projects and the like. As such, I've got some sentimental attachment to it -_-

Jkay- Thank you kindly ^_^

Yeah, standard valve. I've considered doing the gen Ti valve; I have one waiting for me, but am content with the set up as-is mostly because everything is nice and sealed, pressure tested, etc.

Maybe the next time the case has to be opened for a movement overhaul I'll change it out then.

• 3 weeks later...

Ephry,

The dial is natural patina; hands were relumed by the Zigmeister; the amazing thing is that he lumed the hands without seeing the dial smile.gif

I need to find a good matching set of tritium hands one of these days, but the hands as-is are a good match to the dial markers (and since they glow brightly at night the luminova is nice and functional as well).

Build list as of current:

-Genuine Rolex 1520, serviced and overhauled by The Zigmeister.
-Genuine Rolex 5513 dial; original and untouched.
-Genuine Rolex 5513 Submariner Lumi hands, relumed in a vintage tone by The Zigmeister.
-Genuine 25-19 crystal.
-Genuine thick font tritium insert.
-Genuine bezel.
-Genuine 702 crown
-Genuine 7020 tube
-Phong case/caseback
-Genuine 23-12200 2mm rolex springbars.
-Genuine 580 end links
-Genuine 78360 bracelet links
-Genuine 93150 clasp

Cheers and best,

//ubi

Ubi,

do you know if the t-19 is a dome or service dome?

also did you ever post a photo of the custom case-back?

Thank you.

My 25-19 is a service crystal. I'm not a fan of the vintage high domes mainly because of the distortion they cause. The 'flatter' profile of the service crystal is aesthetically more pleasing to my eye. Not to mention a better chance that they'll properly seal out of the package (i.e. no dry rot, or cracking NOS edges).

Just personal pref...

My 25-19 is a service crystal. I'm not a fan of the vintage high domes mainly because of the distortion they cause. The 'flatter' profile of the service crystal is aesthetically more pleasing to my eye. Not to mention a better chance that they'll properly seal out of the package (i.e. no dry rot, or cracking NOS edges).

Just personal pref...

Thank you!

second question

did you ever post a photo of the custom case-back?

Looks great...

As I was looking at the close ups of the dial lume, my first though was that I really screwed up the lume application on this one, it looks terrible, the lume is not centered on the white background markers and everyone is going to comment on what a terrible lume job I did...then I went back up and re-read your description, which says that it's a gen dial and untouched. Ok, that explains it...

Guess I have to re-adjust my application technique to match the misalignment from the factory. smile.gif

Well done R, enjoy.

I guess things were different when they made a real tool watch instead of jewelry.

Hate to bump this one again, but....

New caseback has been added. Turned out pretty good, methinks.

Small font serial:

Serial matched:

happy.gif

Ubi

were the Rolex serial numbers engraved inside the case-back as a special feature on COMEX models?

Thanks

• 9 months later...