When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pictorial review on Spring Loaded T48 crown!

oncyte

First of all....I'd like to thank T for his amazing efforts to make the perfect crown...he's definitely changed the world of PAMs with his phenomenal crowns!! :drinks:

Here goes.....I recieved T's new spring loaded crown kit to beta test...and I must say I'm quite impressed. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Here's what was included:

1. T48 spring loaded crown (0.9mm thread and thinner shaft)

2. 0.9mm threaded 6497 movement stem

3. new crown tube

4. 1.2mm stem extender

5. 0.9mm stem extender

1. The T48 looks almost identical to the non-spring loaded T48s but is spring loaded has a lesser recession so a long CG lever is no longer needed.

2. The 0.9mm threaded 6497 stem is a perfect solution....you can use an auto crown for manual winds! Only thing is be careful you don't wreck it as you only get one of these. I would love to get more of these stems!

3. I didn't measure the exact diameter of the crown tube....but it's way too large for a cartel case. It may fit a DSN case as they have a larger opening but I haven't tried yet. No need for it really as the crown shaft fits in cartel crown tubes without any modification. Maybe these can be available for purchase seperately for those who want water tightness on larger opening crown tube cases. By omitting them from the kit hopefully will bring the price down.

4. The 1.2mm stem extender is not needed as it's a 0.9mm crown.

5. I didn't need the 0.9mm stem extender and cannot be used for a 44mm manual wind as there wouldn't be enough room since it's already longer with the spring loaded end. It would come in handy for autos though.

I absolutely love the crown.....especially since it is spring loaded and has a lesser recession where the CG lever hits.

Ok....now the downside for this version....the spring jumps out quite a bit...so it barely left enough room to pull it out to set the time. It barely made it on my newly built 01a....I am able to set the time but it is rubbing against the CG. So this will not work with all CGs. :wounded1:

T did mention that another version with a thicker shaft will be shorter so we won't have the issue with the CG....only thing is you will need a new crown tube for it since it's as thick as the oem one.

This is an amazing crown and is pretty damn close to perfection....the only thing left to improve would be the height of the teeth as they are a bit too tall and it's just a tad bit thicker when comparing it directly beside an OEM crown.

Enough talk...here are the pics! Enjoy!!

Here's how it came...nicely packaged. ;)

P6096497.jpg

Here it is with the provided gasket.

P6096498-2.jpg

The crown tube fits nice and snug!

P6096499.jpg

Here's the length I needed to cut the stem down to for the correct distance (on my watch anyways)

P6096502-2.jpg

Lever closed.

P6096504-2.jpg

P6096505-2.jpg

Woah....look at that spring loaded action!

P6096506-2.jpg

Has a small lip...no more deep dish! Lever snaps in nice and tight!

P6116515-2.jpg

Here it is pulled out...see how it's right up against the CG. I don't mind as long as I can change the time. :D

P6116516-2.jpg

Comparison beside an OEM crown.

P6116517-2.jpg

This is a great project and the finish on the crown looks superb. That being said I have some additional observations:

Oncyte's CG has a rather deep crown cutout so if the crown still rubs against the top of CG when in time setting position it may hinder time setting operation when a regular A-F rep CG or JF/Gen is used. I would like someone to comment on that. Also, as others have mentioned the sloping effect, sharp teeth and too much bevel on the right side.

The price of crown appears to be very good and I will be buying them regardless but if the above mentioned issues can be addressed it would make for the best aftermarket crown of all time.

• Like 1

Looks good, thanks for the pictures! The only thing I will say is, I hope that T can fix the "sloping" effect, the crown appears larger on the left side, sloping away as it moves to the right :)

I have told the manufacturer that they shouln

Thanks for the review, oncyte.

The 'issue' with the crown sitting too close to the CG when in time setting position could be easily alleviated by shortening the stem by about 0.2-0.3mm.

I've done exactly this on my 27A with the gen auto crown from Kruzer, the stem was just a tad too long and the crown was brushing against the CG when setting time.

BTW, mine should be here anytime soon (it certainly takes long time for shipments from Europe to NZ :( ) , I will write a short review once I get around to mount it on one of my Pams. Thanks again, Tourby :)

First of all....I'd like to thank T for his amazing efforts to make the perfect crown...he's definitely changed the world of PAMs with his phenomenal crowns!! :drinks:

Here goes.....I recieved T's new spring loaded crown kit to beta test...and I must say I'm quite impressed. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Here it is pulled out...see how it's right up against the CG. I don't mind as long as I can change the time. :D

P6116516-2.jpg

Great pictorial review and comparison oncyte! It was generous of you to put this together and share it with the forum.

With a gen PAM, does the crown release and spring out that close to the CG?

Great pictorial review and comparison oncyte! It was generous of you to put this together and share it with the forum.

With a gen PAM, does the crown release and spring out that close to the CG?

No it doesn't spring out that far...but close enough! :D

Hi Onycte

please try to install the new "SL T48" with an 1.2/0.9 stem adapter which is in the box

Maybe the crown could be installed witht he stem adapter (i don´t know if it is enough space).... if so it would be PERFECT... so we don´t need the expensive special stem (20 Euro) any more

Nope....not possible as there definitely not enough room. The head of the stem adapter is too long and would not be able to fit for proper length.

You can see how little room there is left looking at the threaded part.

P6096503.jpg

shi*t

It were so nice if the stem adapter would fit because the stem adapter is available for less money and i would give this free of charge with the crown... but now sadly all people need to spend additional 20 Euro for the hand made stem :black_eye:

still have no reply from ETA company... but seems they will not build a "custom made" Unitas 0.9mm stem for me :angry:

shi*t

It were so nice if the stem adapter would fit because the stem adapter is available for less money and i would give this free of charge with the crown... but now sadly all people need to spend additional 20 Euro for the hand made stem :black_eye:

still have no reply from ETA company... but seems they will not build a "custom made" Unitas 0.9mm stem for me :angry:

Ah...does it matter what length of the stem your watchmaker adjusts with the tool? Does it take him less time if you shorten the threaded part of the stem by half? We only really need 11.47mm length of the total stem as pictured above.

shi*t

Well, special stem will be necessary for 6497 (hand-wound) watches, all autos have 0.9 stems, so I think it's not so big deal.

BTW, do you have any idea about price for crowns ?

regards

Ah...does it matter what length of the stem your watchmaker adjusts with the tool? Does it take him less time if you shorten the threaded part of the stem by half? We only really need 11.47mm length of the total stem as pictured above.

This length you mention varies between the cases, unfortunatelly.

It mostly depends on type and size of the crown tube. Some tubes stick out from the case a little more, some are flush with the case making the crown 'sit' closer or further from the case. To an extent this can be managed by alternating a number of o-ring seals (and their thickness) installed between the crown and the tube, sometimes there isn't enough room to do that.

By the way, have you tried shortening the stem on your T-48-SL so that it doesn't sit too close to the CG bridge when fully extended in time setting position? Would like to know if that worked, that's all.

cheers,

b

My watchmaker will cut the half stem only... this is for the price of 20 Euro... a complete stem would be 40 Euro. German master-watchmakers are very expensive. I have try to ask the Asians for this work... but the Asians haven

Well, special stem will be necessary for 6497 (hand-wound) watches, all autos have 0.9 stems, so I think it's not so big deal.

BTW, do you have any idea about price for crowns ?

regards

prices are updated on another thread

This length you mention varies between the cases, unfortunatelly.

It mostly depends on type and size of the crown tube. Some tubes stick out from the case a little more, some are flush with the case making the crown 'sit' closer or further from the case. To an extent this can be managed by alternating a number of o-ring seals (and their thickness) installed between the crown and the tube, sometimes there isn't enough room to do that.

By the way, have you tried shortening the stem on your T-48-SL so that it doesn't sit too close to the CG bridge when fully extended in time setting position? Would like to know if that worked, that's all.

cheers,

b

That's why I said half and not a specific length....i was just stating what length I cut mine to. :p

When I first got the stem it was reaalllly long....so I thought cutting it down to half would lessen the work for T's watch guy and lower the costs. Half of it will still give you tons left to work with. ;)

Look how short I've already cut the stem. I don't think there's that much more I can shorten. :p

P6096502-2.jpg

My watchmaker will cut the half stem only... this is for the price of 20 Euro... a complete stem would be 40 Euro. German master-watchmakers are very expensive. I have try to ask the Asians for this work... but the Asians haven