When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

And Here She Is......Curves n all.......

OSRep

Hey guys,

Hope everyones very well as always.

Posted a thread a while back about what DSLR to upgrade to (from a simple point and shoot), and wow I got an amazing response from alot of members (you all know who you are, so THANK YOU for helping me make my decision). :thumbsupsmileyanim:

So here it is: Nikon D90. It comes as a kit with standard 18-105mm kit lense....(I think it will do me for now whilst I learn how to use it and start to improve (thats the plan anyway).

I must say out of most of the cameras I had in sight, the D90 feels the best to handle - very well built and solid. Currently charging the battery so yet to take my first shot.........:D

Thanks again guys - youre all :thumbsupsmileyanim:

(PS: the photos below wont really inspire much confidence in my photographic abilities :whistling: )

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

Congrats OS! :thumbsupsmileyanim: So can we hope to see some great pics of your collection soon? And no excuses - you're well equipped now, so if the pics are bad it's just because of your photographic skills, haha! :lol:

Reminds me that I must use my DSLR more frequently...

Thanks mate..... :whistling: No pressure right? Funnily enough I dont have a watch to shoot at the moment :bangin: My ones on its way back from Domi as we speak......Trying to get a tripod / light tent set up too.....and a good macro lense.........(expensive :bangin: )

But the difference in image quality is almost instant! Even in "Auto" mode the image is sharper, more vibrant - I love it and cant wait to use it in all its glory!

DSC_0002.jpg

What do you shoot with?

That's right, you can see the better quality instantly. I have a Olympus E-520 and I'm really satisfied with it - but I don't use it often enough... most of the time I'm lazy and use my small Panasonic Lumix instead. I don't even take the DSLR on holiday with me anymore, because I hate to carry it around all the time... :bangin:

Congrats OSRep!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Nikon are always the best! And the D90 is the best you can get to practice.

Looking forward to see some great pictures of yours!

Only one advice start immediately shooting in RAW.

And be careful, Lens are a bit like watches, you got so many choices, better aperture, better focal, you finish collecting many of them after :bangin:

img4910b.jpg

And I have a micro nikkor 105mm VR on it's way :Jumpy:

My way to practice is to always go out and shoot, rediscover your city, 4 5 times per week, different hour, etc...

Great camera , let the pictures come.

If i have a lot of Canon glass so i have to stick to that brand.

I do agree that you have start shooting in RAW ( and start buying some huge cards :whistling: )

Carpe Diem

Cats

because I hate to carry it around all the time... :bangin:

I agree, that can be a downside, the D90 is a "little" bit bigger than the canon ixus I have been using :bangin: Got to start building stronger neck and arm muscles......

Congrats OSRep!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Only one advice start immediately shooting in RAW.

And be careful, Lens are a bit like watches, you got so many choices, better aperture, better focal, you finish collecting many of them after

And I have a micro nikkor 105mm VR on it's way :Jumpy:

My way to practice is to always go out and shoot, rediscover your city, 4 5 times per week, different hour, etc...

Thanks PS! I dont think ill be coming out with masterpieces from the get-go, but with practice ;) I have read about shooting in RAW! How do you know your camera is shooting in RAW? (Im still reading the manual). :whistling: WOOOW, nice set-up!!! I really want the Nikkor 105mm..... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great camera , let the pictures come.

If i have a lot of Canon glass so i have to stick to that brand.

I do agree that you have start shooting in RAW ( and start buying some huge cards :whistling: )

Carpe Diem

Cats

Cheers Cats. Current collection of lense/glass was one of the major deciding factors for people when choosing a DSLR. Luckily I had a clean slate so flexibility of choice. Nothing wrong with Canons either....the D90 was just good for ME at this moment :thumbsupsmileyanim: I have a 8GB Extreme III (is that enough?) :huh:

Thanks PS! I dont think ill be coming out with masterpieces from the get-go, but with practice ;) I have read about shooting in RAW! How do you know your camera is shooting in RAW? (Im still reading the manual). :whistling: WOOOW, nice set-up!!! I really want the Nikkor 105mm..... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have a 8GB Extreme III (is that enough?) :huh:

OS, you should find this setting in Quality image setting.

Otherwise if it's like on my D300 you can see on the small screen near to the shutter button, You should have Basic, Norm, Fine, TIFF, RAW.

Be sure it's on RAW mode.

Otherwise I think 8GB should be enough, for myself I use four, 4GB Extreme III.

But when I'm out for the day I full only 2 of them.

OS, you should find this setting in Quality image setting.

Otherwise if it's like on my D300 you can see on the small screen near to the shutter button, You should have Basic, Norm, Fine, TIFF, RAW.

Be sure it's on RAW mode.

Otherwise I think 8GB should be enough, for myself I use four, 4GB Extreme III.

But when I'm out for the day I full only 2 of them.

Hey PS! Had to go through the settings to find it. It has alot of options...RAW, RAW + JPEG etc etc......I just selected RAW. What is the advantage of shooting RAW? Gives you more flexibility to edit the photo later? What about the image size - does that matter? D300 - Verrrry nice....Yeah they get a bit pricy after 8GB :( But I think ill be safe with 8 for now.... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great cam @OS!!

Cant wait to see first watch macros :D

George

Thank you George! :D Need a good Macro lense and a watch hehe :p How are you?

Guest ThePhilosopher

You should get to hold a D3 - that's one balanced camera. You'll want to put a grip on the D90 eventually.

Gear shots?

Camera case - I'm saving that space on the left for a 200-400 or such:

Gear_03.jpg

Lighting corner, the suitcase is my traveling kit:

Gear_02.jpg

Pack Strobes and modded ABR800 Ring Flash:

Gear_01.jpg

Nice pickup OS!!! Congrats and great choice! Keep on practicing but the improvements are already evident in the few pics you have posted!! Next challenge - a good wristi :D

@ Powershot - is that an 80-200 f2/8? ED? Nice lens collection you have there!! Also, is that Tamron the 17-50 2.8?

@ Philosopher - I got a chance to play with all the super Nikon zooms at a photo show in Toronto and I have to admit I was really disappointed with the 200-400 on the D3s. It kept losing focus as I changed subjects and kept hunting around. Now the 400 2.8 was amazing!!!!

Guest ThePhilosopher

Just messing around a little :D Im having so much fun - have ALOT to learn though :bangin:

You could really enhance that image in post - it's a good challenge for masking and dealing with different color temperatures. I keep two 8GB cards in the D3, one in the D200 and a 4GB card in the Olympus. I'll upgrade to two 16GB cards by the end of the year. Get an external card reader if don't already have one - the transfer speeds are much faster than the camera (especially after shooting a wedding in RAW).

It's a shame about the 200-400, I've really been looking at the 300mm f/2.8 maybe I should look at the 400mm. Looks more like a 70-200mm - I have the 80-200mm at the bottom of my case.

Nice pictures!

When you shooting in RAW you're seeing exactly what the sensor takes.

As you said

It's allows you to edit some settings after the picture was taken such as the white balance, the exposure, etc...

I recommend you to get familiar with the "depth of field" if it's available on the D90. It should be.

Try all the settings, see what's the difference when you use a F/3.5, F/11, when you use a 1/4000 sec or a 2 sec pose.

After for taking pictures, I always do this way.

1. Compose your pictures, using the rule of thirds (google)

2. Adjust the settings

3. Be sure nothing will ruin your pictures (people, electric cable, (depending on what your shooting))

4. The most important, Shoot! :p

5. Let breath your pictures, see them, but do your selection only the next day.

And If you choose to shoot in RAW mode you will fore sure need an editing software. (Aperture, Photoshop, Gimp,)

I really like the Nikon software Capture NX2. But be sure to have a nice computer :)

Ho, And one of the best way to get a better eye is to submit your pictures so people can judge them ;)

@ Redwatch Yes it's a 80-200 F/2.8 but a Tokina, a bit soft at 2.8 but great at F/4. It's also a Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 nothing to say on this one, just GREAT. I might change my Tokina for a Nikon in the future, not sure if I will keep the 80-200 or switch to the 70-200 VR

@ philosopher: cool set up you have there, no wonder you take awesome photos. I guess I should have handled some of the more advanced cameras (like the D3) but I only tried the cameras within my "level" / price range.....

Nice pickup OS!!! Congrats and great choice! Keep on practicing but the improvements are already evident in the few pics you have posted!! Next challenge - a good wristi :D

Cheers Red (congrats on hitting POWERMAX) :D My dad actually gave me some sound advice, he said: "Son, harness the power of your new camera" - I felt like Spiderman at that moment ;) I hope I can justify having such a powerful tool at my disposal....Im trying to figure out the capabilities of the kit lense (18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6).....Taking a wristie will be a challenge :D

You could really enhance that image in post - it's a good challenge for masking and dealing with different color temperatures. Get an external card reader if don't already have one - the transfer speeds are much faster than the camera (especially after shooting a wedding in RAW).

Do you mean enhance it using an editing software? I just put the camera on "scenic" mode, pointed out the window and clicked.....no editing apart from making it smaller! My laptops got an internal card reader built in....So I transfer them that way....still quite slow given the size of the RAW images.......

Congrats!!! That's such a great camera, enjoy and have fun! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thank you! You have one too? :)

Nice pictures!

When you shooting in RAW you're seeing exactly what the sensor takes.

As you said

It's allows you to edit some settings after the picture was taken such as the white balance, the exposure, etc...

I recommend you to get familiar with the "depth of field" if it's available on the D90. It should be.

Try all the settings, see what's the difference when you use a F/3.5, F/11, when you use a 1/4000 sec or a 2 sec pose.

After for taking pictures, I always do this way.

1. Compose your pictures, using the rule of thirds (google)

2. Adjust the settings

3. Be sure nothing will ruin your pictures (people, electric cable, (depending on what your shooting))

4. The most important, Shoot! :p

5. Let breath your pictures, see them, but do your selection only the next day.

And If you choose to shoot in RAW mode you will fore sure need an editing software. (Aperture, Photoshop, Gimp,)

I really like the Nikon software Capture NX2. But be sure to have a nice computer :)

Ho, And one of the best way to get a better eye is to submit your pictures so people can judge them ;)

Thanks PS - youre just being nice :D I admire your photos........esp that Paris photo. BTW whats a neutral density filter? Seems to add an interesting effect to the photo. There is a small button below the lense (on the D90 body) which gives a "DoF preview".......I have been experimenting with the P,A,S,M modes (changing the ISO, F stops etc etc).....But I need to take the camera outside for some better inspirational shots. :) Maybe this weekend.

Thank you for your advice! I will upload photos for you guys to criticise over time ;)

I have been looking at Macro lenses, and I saw a Tokina 100mm F2.8 AT-X which takes some brilliant macros (saw samples on FlickR).....

Guest ThePhilosopher

Do you mean enhance it using an editing software? I just put the camera on "scenic" mode, pointed out the window and clicked.....no editing apart from making it smaller! My laptops got an internal card reader built in....So I transfer them that way....still quite slow given the size of the RAW images.......

Modes are gimmicks - I've never used them (if they would sell a camera with only M "mode" I'd buy it). I meant using multiple layered instances of your RAW image in photoshop (with different white balances) and masking away the bits of the top image where you don't want that layer's white balance to show.

Modes are gimmicks - I've never used them (if they would sell a camera with only M "mode" I'd buy it). I meant using multiple layered instances of your RAW image in photoshop (with different white balances) and masking away the bits of the top image where you don't want that layer's white balance to show.

Thats what the sales advisors (also keen photographers) said when I was looking at what cameras to buy - he/she said stick to the "P, A, S, M" modes and just experiment. The second half of your sentence made little sense to me, so im about to google it!.......

If you want to get really crazy, look into some HDR (HIgh Dynamic Range) Photography! Check out this Tutorial

:Jumpy: HDR photography looks like a great path to go down (for experimentation and fun) - thanks for that Red....Any of the pros here experimented with HDR images?

Ok these are not HDR hehe.....There is a noticeable difference in the amount of detail you achieve though!

Canon Ixus P'n'S

canon22-2.jpg

Nikon D90,

Exposure Time: 0.167 s (1/6)

Aperture: f/20.0

ISO Equiv.: 200

Whitebalance: Manual

DSC_0007a.jpg

Guest ThePhilosopher

HDR is easy to do too much to fast - tonemapping (the typical look for HDR) is awful to look at when cranked up, HDR should be subtle and seamless.

Edited by ThePhilosopher

great equipment buddy :) cant wait to see your shiny hbb in the flesh :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

oh and of course some of my watches when they are in the uk :D

Hi Omar,

Good to see where the money from the Franken SA went, enjoy the Nikon :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks guys! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Here you go Denz-O! HBB STeel

Rich, you definitely helped a brutha out here ;) thanks mate. Hope youre keeping well.