When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Had a BIG win on ebay.

offshore

Tough call. Yes legally he is obliged to send you the watches at the price you won them. But ofcourse as everyone has stated theres no way he will send them out (he would probably rather lose his EBay acc). Send him a few emails, see if he comes to some sort of agreement (more likely he will ask for a little more on the payment front, but if its within reason, and you are willing to pay a bit more) then go for it.

If he seems to ignore you or not cooperate then youre not going to get those watches :black_eye:

Let us know how it works out mate. ;)

Ask yourself what you would want ti do if the shoe was on the other foot... not saying he is right... but everyone makes honest mistakes...

Yes they do,and they get punished for it. My trial is August 2nd. I had no clue I needed a permit to offer chess lessons. I'm looking at a $1,000 fine or 90 days in jail.

They don't care that I only wanted to help the children learn and have taught 100 kids since 2008, or that I'm Ill with Interstitial Cystitis and my bladder may seize from the stress of the procedings. And that if that happens I would require hospital catherterization.

One must be hard and have a heart of steel. Those who oppose you will show you no mercy.

I note it here at the 3:50 mark:

Grasser is wearing a Renato Stallion Chronograph.

Edited by georgegrasser

I was under the naive understanding that people honored their commitments on eBay, no matter how crazy the sell price.

So, if I sell something on eBay and I don't think it went for a high enough price, I can just tell the buyer that I don't want to sell it!? I HATE that you should have to walk away from this!!

They may call it "Legally binding", but the reality is that any buyer or seller can simply back out of an auction and all that's going to happen is they going to get a negative point against them. If you get three in a year, then they can suspend the account, but that's about as harsh as it gets. There's no lawyers calling or police beating down your door, so if the seller chooses to back out of the sale, I'm afraid they can do it without much fanfare.

What wil happen is that they (the seller) will contact eBay asking to cancel the transaction, then eBay will contact you to check if you agree, if you don't agree, and you can't work something out with the seller, they'll get about 4 weeks to ship the item, if they choose to not sell you the item, they will get a strike against them, that's it.

I suggest you might want to try working something with them, if you really want the watches, but ultimately, you could simply bow out gracefully.

I know this because it has happened to me on both sides of the fence (as a buyer and a seller) over the last few years on eBay, so that's my 2 pennies on the subject.

I would graciously bow out of the deal. It could happen to anyone new to the bay. I would be grateful if I was a new seller and made a mistake like that and had an understanding buyer. I guess what goes around comes around.

They may call it "Legally binding", but the reality is that any buyer or seller can simply back out of an auction and all that's going to happen is they going to get a negative point against them. If you get three in a year, then they can suspend the account, but that's about as harsh as it gets. There's no lawyers calling or police beating down your door, so if the seller chooses to back out of the sale, I'm afraid they can do it without much fanfare.

What wil happen is that they (the seller) will contact eBay asking to cancel the transaction, then eBay will contact you to check if you agree, if you don't agree, and you can't work something out with the seller, they'll get about 4 weeks to ship the item, if they choose to not sell you the item, they will get a strike against them, that's it.

Good information, thanks.

Theres nothing you can do apart from report him to EBAY. Happens all the time unfortunately due to sellers being to cheap to list their items with a higher starting price or with a reserve.

Have a look at the Ebay discussion boards for more details.

I once sold a pair of antique glasses, listed them at a starting proce of 99p. They attracted one bid of 99p and that was a bidder from Spain. Kept to my word and sent the item. I learnt my lesson!

ebay pounds it into everyone that a completed transaction is a "contract"

He could have got out of it at anytime prior to the end of the auction and paid a small fee as a penalty.

If it were me, I would pay the winning amount by paypal and then proceed to the negotiations. He is not only risking his ebay account but his paypal account.

I have purchased individual items at more than $5000 on ebay and have not had to deal with wafflers.

If you let him off he will be doing it again next time he doesn't get his price. He needs to learn how things work.

You will never get the watches; agreed on that. Get something to compensate yourself for being duped and taken advantage of.

Carl

I'd say go for it... but then again, I can be a real d1ck sometimes :whistling:

The seller has only 2 feedbacks from buys not sells, so I'd be treading carefully on this one... could be the lead-in to a scam.

The old adage "if it seems too good to be true..." cut your losses and walk away, he lives on the other side of the World (I assume) and there is nothing you can do or say that would compel him to sell them. He would just close his eBay account and start a new one with so few feedbacks, smells really fishy, but if I were you I'd play the statistics. May not be a scam, but it might, and you have no real cards to play at this point.

Good luck, let us know what transpires, this particular philosophical predicament has crossed my mind before...

and GOOD LUCK!