When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pilot's Cabin or Executive Suite?

freddy333

Is it an either/or question? How about BOTH??

Normally, that would be the obvious answer. The problem is that it took me 2 years to gather up all the parts for this 1 & I was extremely lucky to run into a couple of the NOS gmt parts. But the dials are too good to let either sit in my parts bins.

White, but only if you can get the meatball engraved on the back!

Again, normally, I would probably do that & the thought has crossed my mind (several times). But all the parts for the Phase II watch (with the exception of the insert) are gens & valuable, so I do not think modding is an option here. Anyway, there are so few (authenticated) white 6542s around (I have only ever seen pics of them) & I have seen them with 3 different casebacks (1 with a plain caseback), so it is probably best left as-is.

I like the black dial much better. Can you switch the white dial's date window to the black one? Then you'll be 99% of the way home.

Oddly, I was thinking the white dial's date window looks a bit small (the black 1 the gen KR-repaint dial).

Rarity and history aside, the black dial is much more visually appealing, plus the quality of your black dial's replication looks superior to the white's.

Each has its strengths & weaknesses. The paint/finish quality on the black is clearly better (nearly equivalent to Rolex's application quality). Also, as I mentioned to Nanuq, its date window is the proper shape/size. On the other hand, I think the fonts are more accurate on the white dial

correct-3lines.jpg

& there are at least 4 different coronet styles that I have seen on 6542s & each dial fits right in there. But the word ROLEX & the line below it seem more accurate on the white dial

correct-coronet.jpg

Here is the most common version of the 6542 (note the style/shape/size/position of the fonts)

Rolex65421958041.jpg

3 albino gens

3.jpg

white_gmt_master-1.jpg

art5-2.jpg

Rarity aside, & just looking at each dial on its own, I am kind of swayed in favor of the white dial, mainly, due to its more accurate fonts. I think it is also quite spiffy looking with a nice contrast between the dark red/blue insert & white dial.

I do like the fonts better on the white, and I would have gone that way but for two things. The top of the 12:00 triangle looks slightly curved, and from what I can suss out from the photos online, it should be flat like the black dial. Second is the "E" in "ROLEX", its middle "leg" should be above center like your black dial. Stephano's photos notwithstanding. :whistling:

I wonder if that was just a "gilt thing"?

edit: also look at "certifiEd" and "mastEr" and "chronometEr". They're apparently all different.

white_gmt_master-1.jpg

• Like 1

I'll be totally honest, I don't like the white dial at all with the GMT. Historically speaking, yes, very cool, but on a purely aesthetic level, it just doesn't do it for me. Plus, given the rarity of the watch as well, if being called out or having to explain the watch is any kind of fear, the watch becomes unwearable... Just my .2c :pardon:

It's too late, I saw it...

freddy, I agree with your assessments. What I've seen of all the pictures on line both 'models' of the 6542 have many variances. And a good many are from the Rolex factory themselves. The dials used on the black were both gilt and white lettering, some 'T <25', some not. From what I read the bakelite insert lasted only about a year from Rolex, and was not installed in the Pan Am 'Executive' white face. Any bakelite insert watches they got in for service were replaced with the stamped insert. Later, after the 1675 came out any 6542 that came in for service was subject to getting the stamped insert, new 'Superlative' dial, the larger 4th hand and all black numbered date wheel. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the changes, so I don't know if the watch owner had a choice in the changes or not. As you've said before, the bakelite insert was fragile and it is likely that none that we've seen are original, all an aftermarket from one source or another. I had not seen any pics of the white dial without the Pan Am globe on the case-back, but that is further 'good news' to me! It says to me that there is quite a bit more 'flexibility' in building a 6542, and it has the benefit of being the correct hand stack and no crown guards to be judged by the replica experts.

Wow guys - you are really in a different league ...

I would probably give my left arm for either version (and I am not even a Rolex kind of guy).

If I had to choose one: I would ............. no I can't even make a decision they are both beautiful.

I hope you can do both at some point and post side by side pics of the finished results.:)

Nanuq - Agreed on all counts. The thing is that, from what I have seen, 1950s Rolex watches contained even more than the usual Rolex variations. As far as the triangle at 12, there are flat tops, curved tops, flat top triangles close to the minute track, flat top triangles away from the minute track, curved triangles close......well, you get the idea

2variations.jpg

(2 out of several variations - note the distance between hour/minute markers & shape/position of triangles relative to minute markers - dial at right (excepting dial color) is very similar to my white dial)

In the end, I think there is more than sufficient variation on the albino theme along with enough debate to make this 1 fit right in, with room to spare. :whistling:

some 'T <25', some not.

The T<25's were all service/replacement dials. The originals had only SWISS at 6 o'clock.

From what I read the bakelite insert lasted only about a year from Rolex, and was not installed in the Pan Am 'Executive' white face.

As I understand it, all of the white dials (only about 150 or so) did originally come with Perspex inserts. The (most) official recounting I have is that the white dials were constructed from the left overs of the original 6542 manufacturing run, which was designed from the beginning to produce a set number of watches (for Pan Am flight personnel).

The T<25's were all service/replacement dials. The originals had only SWISS at 6 o'clock.

As I understand it, all of the white dials (only about 150 or so) did originally come with Perspex inserts. The (most) official recounting I have is that the white dials were constructed from the left overs of the original 6542 manufacturing run, which was designed from the beginning to produce a set number of watches (for Pan Am flight personnel).

Obviously that is quite possible. I went with the date that the white dial watch were released to PanAm which was after the change to the stamped insert.

Thanks for all the input, guys. :drinks: White it is.

Seeing how well the dials (both) came out, I need to have the date wheel repainted as well. So, for now, I will put the watch together with an all-black date wheel. The finished Phase II (gen-powered/cased/braceleted) product should look something like this

IMG_07061.jpg