When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scottish Highlands

OSRep

Hey guys, went to the Scottish Highlands with a few friends over the weekend (im sure alot of you missed me........ :whistling: ). Anyway it gave me the chance to play with my D90 a bit. I think most of the photos came out overexposed (I used Manual mode the whole time which im happy I did). One thing I do notice however is the way the D90 picks up on colour - its fantastic! I mean most of the time it was really dull and grey but the D90 makes it look like spring/summer.

Anyway heres a small glimpse of Scotland (there are about 200 pics, but im only putting up a few) The photos are taken around Glencoe / Oban.....comments, crticism welcome. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0136BW.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0129BW.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

Being a Scot myself it's great to see pics of the homeland.

I think you had a good time - hope you enjoyed our wee country...

The black and whites with touch of colour are superb. How do you do that????

Ahh - I can smell the heather and whisky.....did you try haggis?

Being a Scot myself it's great to see pics of the homeland.

I think you had a good time - hope you enjoyed our wee country...

The black and whites with touch of colour are superb. How do you do that????

Ahh - I can smell the heather and whisky.....did you try haggis?

hehe the hints in the name hey Scotty? Yeah had a brilliant time Scotland is very beautiful (definitely a difference to London which is where i live). I have been to Glasgow and Edinburgh a few times but this was the first time to the highlands. A weekend isnt long enough though. There was plenty of Heather and seafood though. Unfortunately didnt get the chance to try haggis either :( I did have Lorne beef (flat) sausages for brekkie though.....

Thanks buddy, I shot the photos in RAW then messed around with the light settings / levels and colour settings (hue's). Pretty simple.... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Looking really good OS! Did you shoot in RAW?

Cheers Red. Well I think I started off in "normal" then switched to RAW when I realised...... Although its a pain to download them onto the computer in RAW etc etc (files are huge)......

what an awsome place scottland is :thumbsupsmileyanim: wow :) looks so beautyful and historical, and brother your pics are great, so nice colors and places, very very nice and im realy glad you enjoyd your trip with your friends :)

it was a hard week without you , but for seeing this pics it was worth the waiting :)

deniz

Guest ThePhilosopher

Nice shots - some would be stronger with some straightening and others with some compositional changes, but overall not bad at'll. I'm not a huge fan of the selective coloring though.

what an awsome place scottland is :thumbsupsmileyanim: wow :) looks so beautyful and historical, and brother your pics are great, so nice colors and places, very very nice and im realy glad you enjoyd your trip with your friends :)

it was a hard week without you , but for seeing this pics it was worth the waiting :)

deniz

Hey bro! Thanks man. Yes Scotland is beautiful.......a vast contrast to the busy fast paced life in London. People are so much more friendlier up there too :D

I would love to visit Scotland one day to visit a good friend who lives, and I kid you not, 'On the bonnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond'

Ken

We drove by Loch Lomond, didnt have time to stop though which was a shame. Where do you live? You should def visit

Great photos! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks mate! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Nice shots - some would be stronger with some straightening and others with some compositional changes, but overall not bad at'll. I'm not a huge fan of the selective coloring though.

Thanks TP! Appreciate the feedback coming from you ;) What is straightening / compositional changes?

Guest ThePhilosopher

Straightening the horizon in some of your images (they're on a tilt) and others would benefit from the subject not being centered in the frame. Also watch your saturation some of the greens are pushing out of gamut (at least on my monitors).

Edited by ThePhilosopher

Straightening the horizon in some of your images (they're on a tilt) and others would benefit from the subject not being centered in the frame. Also watch your saturation some of the greens are pushing out of gamut (at least on my monitors).

Im assuming straightening can only be done when taking the photo right? Yeah I noticed the yellows and greens are quite vivid (but only realised I had left the camera in "vivid" mode with a stepped up saturation). Thanks for all the hints and tips.......

Guest ThePhilosopher

No, it can be done in photoshop after the fact-the lens correction tool is quite powerful (I don't know what you use for post-processing). You can crop and rotate your image so that the horizon is horizontal as well.

No, it can be done in photoshop after the fact-the lens correction tool is quite powerful (I don't know what you use for post-processing). You can crop and rotate your image so that the horizon is horizontal as well.

I see. I only have a simple copy of Photoshop Elements which came preloaded on my laptop......... :whistling: Its extremely basic. I did rotate and crop a few of the images using that method though......:)

Australia....so it's not likely to be anytime soon. -_-

Oh :huh: That would be a trek! But Ausralias gorgeous. Wish I had my camera when I was over......

Wow great pics!

Have they been PSD HDR'd?

Thanks mate! They were my first attempt at using my DSLR so im glad they came out the way they did :D No, no photoshopping, files from camera were RAW, I had to tone down some of the colours, brightness, cropping etc.....Dont know how to HDR either (I dont have the software to HDR properly anyway) ;) But hey, its great you think they look HDR'd :D All credit to the D90!

• 8 months later...