When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fading an insert...What is the good formula?

prdubis

Hi mates,

I have been trying several times to fade my 1665 insert but never managed to achieve the result some members manage to get.

I've tried bleach and hot water, oxyclean, bleach + oxyclean, I tried to scrub it with a Scotchbrite pad but it remains as bright as new...

Anyone can give me the right formula/way to fade it like a 20 yr old one?

Thank you for your help!

I suppose it is possible it depends on what the insert is made of whether it can be aged or not, though I haven't yet had one that wouldn't. Certainly paint (or whatever the coating is) on a metal backing will work. Sounds like yours is some sort of plastic. I put mine in neat bleach in a shallow plastic container, agitate it constantly (if you leave it, it looks the same until you move it when all the paint goes into the bleach and you're left with an overbleached insert - don't ask me how I know that) and take it out when you see some changes, wash it, dry it and inspect. If not enough, put it back in and so on. Some people dilute the bleach so it is slower, but that doesn't really work for me, I'm too impatient!

Edited by Brightight

this insert you try to fade is probably one with a clear protective coat. Nothing will be able to break this, its heat cured. To remove this coat and allow bleach to work you can use #800/1200 sandpaper, gently, and always in the same way. Then use bleach, but watch well as now it will go fast...

Edited by Rolexaddict

I just did one yesterday. It was a MBW insert that took longer than a Yuki I did before. It took ~45 minutes to fade where I wanted it. A good tip that was mentioned above was to agitate the water and take it out so you can see what is really happening. Once the color starts to go, it fades fast. Here's a pic of my MBW 1665 GW I took with my iPhone. Sorry for the resolution.

Here's how it started:

IMG_4005.jpg

photo-2.jpg

post-19383-020140400 1279568253.jpg

Edited by UT Horn

Here's what straight pool chlorine will do in a very short time.

Looks great. I will have to try that.

At the moment, I am using diluted bleach 50/50 with water. Leaving the insert in for 10-15mins, then at 5min intervals. Yes this takes a while but then it allows me to better control the process.

Looks great. I will have to try that.

At the moment, I am using diluted bleach 50/50 with water. Leaving the insert in for 10-15mins, then at 5min intervals. Yes this takes a while but then it allows me to better control the process.

This is exactly how i do it..

50/50 bleach and water. I start with a 5 min dip then rinse off under the tap. Inspect and repeat. Different inserts will take different times in the solution depending on quality, paint type etc etc. If you want scratches on it or damage, be sure to inflict this prior to bleaching for best result

BEFORE

CIMG1603.jpg

AFTER

start.jpg

Edited by Dizzy

You need to remove the bezel from the watch. I guess you can leave the insert in the bezel if you want. The bezel comes off easy on these, you just pry it off. Its just held on with a round retention ring.

dizzz