When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rebuilding Grandfathers Watch

redwatch

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Omega BOR or straight "toothed" bracelets are of excellent quality... I'll try to dig up my source who has generics and NOS gen Omega parts for those of you who, like myself, breathed life back into a dead Omega (or just acquired an Omega 30T2SCRG :) ) and want to spice it up. The replating thing is awesome... Too bad about the finickiness of the process at the moment...

Help Needed!!! Got my watch case back from the Jeweler last night and it looks great. So I am all excited to start putting it back together. One minor hiccup. I cannot figure out how to install the crystal! It's a two piece system. There is a flat crystal, with no lip or real edge. It's just a rounded edge around the perimeter of the crystal. The second part looks like a silicone or white plastic gasket. It fits into the watch case with some effort and then I cannot seem to figure out how to push down on the crystal to snap it into place. I do have a crystal press, but I am not sure if I am doing it right? Experts! Please please help!

Here's a pic of the case and crystal. The crystal is on the left of the picture and the gasket is on the right.

DSC_0200-1.jpg

Here's a few pics of the case:

DSC_0201-1.jpg

DSC_0202-1.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

I love that bracelet on the vintage seamaster kbh! It's a great combo! If you don't mind me asking, where did you source it from?

It's the original bracelet that came with the watch. It was actually a gift from a female friend who inherited it. It wasn't working and she knew I was into watches so she gave it to me. I had Rex service it and it's been great ever since. It's a shame that it's a little too small to get much wrist time but it's so comfortable to wear, you forget that you have a watch on.

S,

Put the nylon gasket into the case, having checked it 1st for nicks etc. If it is a tight install it may have stretched, they tend to do so.

The crystal (bevelled edge up) should push into the nylon gasket. If it is very tight, try a very thin smear of silicone. You should be able to at least partly press it with your fingers. If you need to use the press get a flat die as close to the crystal dia as poss, use another die to seat the case on so it doesn't protrude through, and press. Alternatively, I have found I can normally press these against the side of a timber table, using my fingers to push the case onto the crystal (against the table side)

If it fails, give me a yell by PM and I'll sort an alternative for you.

O/S

Edit:The plating may have decreased the ID you are working with, making it VERY tight.

If your pressing fails, don't despair, an alternate crystal is easy for this job.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the inner diameter has changed just enough to where the crystal won't press back in. I will have to replace the crystal with a new one. Also still waiting for the hands to come back from plating as well. HKTan is making me a nice new alligator strap in black and I have a new deployant clasp coming in from the Watchboys up in Canada.

It's getting there, just taking longer than I thought it would. Of course, that's always to be expected with custom work like this. Good thing I'm so patient :D

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my progress:

New crystal arrived from Watchbitz today! I set out to install it right away with some UV glue. It's sitting under some UV Light now. I happen to have an EPROM UV Eraser which the watch case fits into perfectly :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Bulova4.jpg

Bulova3.jpg

Bulova2.jpg

While the crystal is tanning, I set out to remove the hands from the movement

Bulova1.jpg

I installed the new hour and minute hands and they look pretty good!

Bulova5.jpg

Bulova8.jpg

Bulova6.jpg

Bulova7.jpg

I also removed the old gold crown from the stem and installed the new white gold one. The old crown came right off without any effort at all so I installed the new crown with just a little bit of thread lock

Bulova9.jpg

So as of right now, here's where I'm at:

• Waiting for crystal to set onto the watch case
  • Waiting for a new seconds hand
  • Waiting for my new HK Tan Alligator Strap

It's close folks! I am going to visit my grandmother in about three weeks so I hope to have it done before then so I can show her my work :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Let me just say one other thing. This project would never have been possible if it wasn't for the generous help of this community and especially offshore/watchbitz! Thank you O/S so much for your patience, wisdom and assistance throughout this whole project! This watch would never be what it will be without you!

This is truly inspirational. If I can do my grandfathers watch 1/2 as proud as you've done yours I will be a happy man. Everything is coming together beautifully!

Incidentally, my wife and I went to visit her grandparents today. I noticed her grandfathers watch sitting on the coffee table and picked it up. He's not into watches, just a simple quartz watch. I noticed it wasn't running, he said it had stopped a few days ago. I took it home with me today and picked up a new battery which I'll install in a little while and polish it up for him. It has one of those stretchy metal bands, of course!

Hey Red, your photography skills always been that damn good!? :wub:

Thanks guys for the compliments! I couldn't be happier with the results so far. It's been a trying experience that has taken waaayyyyy longer than I originally anticipated, but in the end, its all been worth it. I am anxious now to finish this up! :D

@ P4 - no, my skills in photography have been slowly improving over the last year and a half. Practice, practice, practice! I am truly blessed to have many friends, both here on the forum, and elsewhere, who are extreme photogs. I try to learn as much as I possibly can from them :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@ P4 - no, my skills in photography have been slowly improving over the last year and a half. Practice, practice, practice! I am truly blessed to have many friends, both here on the forum, and elsewhere, who are extreme photogs. I try to learn as much as I possibly can from them :thumbsupsmileyanim:

what kind've glass are you shooting with?

what kind've glass are you shooting with?

With my D90, an assortment of lenses actually. The two pictures of the dial and case together I used a friends 50mm/1.4 AF-S. That is a beautiful lens, especially for $450.00! The other shots I was using my Tamron 90mm Macro which is another great lens.

Currently I am in the market for a Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 DX and the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Wide Angle. Both beautiful lenses :D

Nikon just announced the D7000 replacement for the D90 which looks like a real winner! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I may have to upgrade sometime down the road :whistling:

Another update: seconds hand has arrived. Still waiting on the strap from HKTan, although last email said it should be completed and shipped this week. I'm going to case up the movement and pick up a new battery for it today so I can get it ready for the new strap when it arrives. :D