When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Air-King

jmb

With all this high-powered buildin' going on I felt kind of left out so I had to toss something together. I'd been gathering parts for this for a while and my movement got here today so I was able to put it together. I think the only thing I'll revisit at a later date is the hands. I had noticed in all of the gen pics that the hands were pointed so I filed the ends on a set of Datejust hands but they need to be a bit more pointy so next time I have it apart I'll file on 'em again. I want to thank alligoat for the really gnarly lookin' period gen band and Ubi for this sweet old gen dial - thanks guyz!!

I decided that for a really authentic look I would leave the case alone so it retains the scratched and scuffed crystal it came with along with the rest of the nicks and bruises it had earned over the years.

Parts List:

1 - Gen Air-King case complete with crystal, bezel, and crown.

1 - ETA 2824 movement

1 - Set Datejust rep hands

1 - Gen riveted Rolex bracelet

1 - Gen Air-King dial

Here's a few pics:

Air-King 1.JPG

Air-King 2.JPG

Air-King 3.JPG

Air-King 4.JPG

Air-King 5.JPG

Air-King 6.JPG

Looks very nice!

The Air-King is really one of the great classics in a respectfully modest way, not presuming to out-cool others.

Naive as it may be, somehow I tend to trust people who wear these watches, as they propose the idea of a chip off the old block ;)

mg

• Like 1

Just back from a no-internet vacation up in the north woods of Minnesota and catching up on my reading!

This looks great, JB!

I even have a set of eta pointed hands (from a rep 6694) that I'll drop in the mail- they should be perfect.

It's cool to know that the 2824 fits in that case!

M, the 2824 fit like a glove! It does need some proper hands, thanks! That "well used" bracelet really sets it off! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I guess I'm gonna have to start scrounging old 34mm Rollie cases and 2824s! :whistling:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

man, i want to do one of these 36mm builds...i actually love the size.

did you cannibalize the feet of the gen dial to fit the ETA in? thats the only thing keeping me from doing the build...

maybe i can use one of the newfangled ''clone'' AZN movements...there's no way i'm wrecking a gen dial for a $150 ETA movt...

I have no problem "butchering" inexpensive dials.  The feet were clipped and then the dial epoxied to the ETA dial spacer.  These dials are generally under $100, a multi-hundred dollar dial I would be more hesitant...

Oh, the Air-King is 34mm...

• 1 year later...