When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice needed from the watch mod experts...

digisquid

I just bought a 7753 PAM 187. And I think the crown is too small. I have an old 7750 187 that has a much thicker crown and am wondering if I can switch it out.

Sad part is...I have to switch the crown guard also. (7753 is the better crown guard, the opening isnt big enough would have to file it down a good mm or 2) But thats another question.

Anyway, I am thinking I have 2 options to switch out the crown.

1) Replace the whole crown and stem into the 7753...question is...will it work with the 7753 movement?

2) Just replace the crown itself and screw it onto the 7753 stem? Possible?

Please chime in or email or pm me if you have any advice.

Thanks in advance.

That's a tough one as it's a 1950 style submersible crown. DSN should have spring loaded ones for 127/217 series of watches and it should fit over your existing 1.2mm stem but I would get a spare one just in case. The jury is still out on whether the crown will look right on a sub. Just out of curiosity, did you buy this from a dealer or 2nd hand. I thought those were long discontinued.

That's a tough one as it's a 1950 style submersible crown. DSN should have spring loaded ones for 127/217 series of watches and it should fit over your existing 1.2mm stem but I would get a spare one just in case. The jury is still out on whether the crown will look right on a sub. Just out of curiosity, did you buy this from a dealer or 2nd hand. I thought those were long discontinued.

Thanks Doofus. That is good to hear. Now a slightly bigger problem...the crowns are different. 7750 crown is completely different from the 7753 crown. It doesnt fit into the case. Does anyone know where I can find a crown to fit this model?

A larger thicker crown is the only thing stopping this from becoming an ultimate rep. IMHO. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this helps..if not I will take better pics in the morning. If you are wondering about the date changer at 10, it is larger than gen, but it does function. Just press and the date changes. HE valve is raised as opposed to engraved. Not sure if either can be modded. But we are getting of subject...I think a new thicker wider crown will make this watch just about perfect. Any ideas? (7750 crown does not fit)

As for a "secretive approach"...no disrespect intended, I didnt know if sharing the name of the dealer was permitted. (There are some forums that look at it as schilling.) Since it is allowed here, I will gladly share.

King Watches, one of the trusted dealers. it was a great transaction, perfect communication. Highly recommended, a pleasure to deal with.

post-15894-022146900 1281836258.jpg

Not sure if this helps..if not I will take better pics in the morning. If you are wondering about the date changer at 10, it is larger than gen, but it does function. Just press and the date changes. HE valve is raised as opposed to engraved. Not sure if either can be modded. But we are getting of subject...I think a new thicker wider crown will make this watch just about perfect. Any ideas? (7750 crown does not fit)

As for a "secretive approach"...no disrespect intended, I didnt know if sharing the name of the dealer was permitted. (There are some forums that look at it as schilling.) Since it is allowed here, I will gladly share.

King Watches, one of the trusted dealers. it was a great transaction, perfect communication. Highly recommended, a pleasure to deal with.

I bought the same one from the same dealer...Great watch, but still lot of flaws (date wheel, date button, He valve, crown, crown guard,...).

Did you try to unscrew the strap, as it is not possible on mine...?

IMHO I think both the 7750 and 7753 are good, but I the 7753 is closer in looks to the gen. (Check out pic: 7750, 7753, gen) And the good out ways the bad. Solid movement, date isnt sunken (at least you can see it) Bubble dot at 12. Dial size and construction is closer to gen. Water resistant for 50m. Honestly the only thing that bothers me is the size of the crown. I am sure there has to be a fix for this????? (I am new to this whole rep/modding thing, so I am not really sure what I am looking for...T60, T48, spring loaded...can someone explain or at least point me in the right direction??

As for the screws, that is one of the flaws also, they really should be screw bars. But yes, I was able to get them off. Not easy, but doable. 2 screwdrivers with even applied pressure does the trick. Only one side unscrews, you are basically holding the other screw head. Get the little screw head out, be careful not to lose, and then push the bar out.

post-15894-055296400 1281878661.jpg