When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken 1680 W/Gen 1570 movt

jasonstacey

I might have to sell my prized piece. It is a Franken 1680 Red Sub. Here is the breakdown:

1570 Gen Movt that was just rebuilt (new barrel, arbor, canon pinion, hour wheel, regulated, adjusted, dynamic poised, etc) with all Gen Rolex parts by Rex.

Gen Tube and Crown

Gen Springbars and correct Gen Endlinks and Gen Band

Case and Dial are Yuki with custom Serial # to match the Red dial.

The watch in route back to me from Rex and Ill post pics when it gets here but wanted to know if anyone would be intrested in it.... I am close to $4,000 in parts and labor in this bad boy. Open to offers for right now.

PM me if intrested.

Thanks

@ Jasonstacey

Indeed we are interested in seeeing the pics of the beauty.

Maybe you can also make brake down of the 4K you mentioned.

Will hav e look again end this week the see this beauty.

Carpe Diem

Cats

@ Jasonstacey

Indeed we are interested in seeeing the pics of the beauty.

Maybe you can also make brake down of the 4K you mentioned.

Will hav e look again end this week the see this beauty.

Carpe Diem

Cats

No problem Cats-

Breakdown:

Yuki Case with custom Serial # -$600.00 (or $550, I cant remember)

Dial with Hand set- $250.00

Gen tropic 127 watch crystal- $275.00

Gen Crown/Tube- $300.00

Gen Bracelet with 580 Endlinks- $400.00

Gen 1570 movt- $1500.00(I got took on this one due to the condition)

Service/build/rebuild(Movt) $1,000

Thats roughly $4,325 in parts and labor-Not to mention the time it took to gather the parts etc.

Have a great day and I will post the pics as soon as I get her back!

If you do decide to sell (or even list) this piece for sale here I would suggest you get ahead of the curve and make a request to any of the admin team to be added to the approved high value sellers list. We will let you know the information which we need to get. Anything over $1500 has to be vetted by the Admin team.

If you do decide to sell (or even list) this piece for sale here I would suggest you get ahead of the curve and make a request to any of the admin team to be added to the approved high value sellers list. We will let you know the information which we need to get. Anything over $1500 has to be vetted by the Admin team.

Sounds good- Should I send you a PM?

No problem Cats-

Breakdown:

Yuki Case with custom Serial # -$600.00 (or $550, I cant remember)

Dial with Hand set- $250.00

Gen tropic 127 watch crystal- $275.00

Gen Crown/Tube- $300.00

Gen Bracelet with 580 Endlinks- $400.00

Gen 1570 movt- $1500.00(I got took on this one due to the condition)

Service/build/rebuild(Movt) $1,000

Thats roughly $4,325 in parts and labor-Not to mention the time it took to gather the parts etc.

Have a great day and I will post the pics as soon as I get her back!

Wow the watch sounds awesome... you are into the movement alone for $2500?? ouch

Sounds like you got a good deal on the bracelet and end links though.. Is that the 93150 bracelet??

I'd buy 5 of those right now at that price.

Not to criticise, I respect, you are free to do what you want,

but I cannot understand at this level of price why you don't buy a gen. I dont know if the watch is nice -no pics- but franken = fake anyway.

Sorry, no offence but I get just a little nervous with this rolexmania mystic and frankens

I noticed also here, lot of stuff is overpriced. Generally Rolex in USA is overpriced whithout any serious reason, like everything else indead

Not to criticise, I respect, you are free to do what you want,

but I cannot understand at this level of price why you don't buy a gen. I dont know if the watch is nice -no pics- but franken = fake anyway.

Sorry, no offence but I get just a little nervous with this rolexmania mystic and frankens

I noticed also here, lot of stuff is overpriced. Generally Rolex in USA is overpriced whithout any serious reason, like everything else indead

To get a 1680 Red Sub at the time I started to compile my parts, they were going for like 8-9K on the bay. Now they are like 7K-7500.

I had a 1680 Rolex case and dial lined up to begin with and the seller flaked leaving me no choice but to use an aftermarket one. I just got caught up on the project.

I have to agree. unless you are in desperate straits, or have another "grail" that is singing the sirens song to you, keeping it and enjoying it would be the most prudent thing to do financially. You probably aren't going to get even close to what you have in the watch. Just as and example, if you look in the sales posts in the past week or so, another member sold one very similar to yours. Genuine movement, very nice aftermarket case, genuine almost everything. He said he had around 4.5K in the watch, and I have no reason to believe otherwise. He sold it in the past couple of days for around 2750.00 USD or roughly 60% of what he had invested.Once you get into the price range you are looking at, the buyer pool shrinks dramatically.And because it's a franken, no matter how good, your only sales outlet is on the rep forums. You can't post it on the vintage Rolex forum, TZ or WUS sales forums because it's a fake by their standards.

Almost everyone on the forum that has been here for a while has similar stories. Quite a few of us have had franken MBW's 1665's 1680's with almost everything genuine but the movement and MBW case. I have had several over the years and every one of them topped out at close to 1000.00 USD before it was over with. I believe that the most I got for one was around 700.00 USD and that was with a genuine bracelet and end links thrown in. That was back in about 2005, but the same thing holds true now.

Another problem that I encountered was folks who saw MBW 1680, and couldn't believe I was asking 900.00 USD for a 400.00 USD watch. What they were failing to realize was all the genuine stuff was way more expensive than the original cost of the watch, plus a trip up to The Zigmeister for a movement service, relume and installation of all the bits and pieces.To a lot of folks, who buy them and wear them right out the box, and never spend a dime on mods, I was a crazy scammer trying to sell a 400.00 USD watch for 900.00 USD.

I really believe that some folks here enjoy the hunt for scarce parts and building something from nothing so much that they reconcile themselves to the fact that when it's built and they are itching to start another project, they can sell it even though they are going to take a beating on it. Move it out and start over with something else. there are others here, and I fall into this catagory, that would rather take that 4500.00 USD and buy a genuine, maybe not a 1680, but a pretty nice 16800, knowing that if It's kept up it will hold it's value and possibly appreciate.

Just my Dos Centavos

You can get a gen white dial 1680 with boxes and papers for about $5500-6000 is you look around... I saw a few without papers or anything for around $4500

16800 and old 16610's are starting around $3000 usd. Prices are falling fast.

I agree that you should keep it and enjoy it. You'll never get your money back on that one. Ive got about $1500 into my 1680 and its an MBW case and currently the ETA 2824 movement.. everything else is gen. Toss in a $1000 for a good 1570 movement and i'm at $2500 all gen except the case, and i know I'll never get my $2500 back if i try to sell it...:black_eye:

dizz

"Almost everyone on the forum that has been here for a while has similar stories. Quite a few of us have had franken MBW's 1665's 1680's with almost everything genuine but the movement and MBW case. I have had several over the years and every one of them topped out at close to 1000.00 USD before it was over with. I believe that the most I got for one was around 700.00 USD and that was with a genuine bracelet and end links thrown in. That was back in about 2005, but the same thing holds true now."

I have assembled a few frankensteins and try to keep the $$ below what the watch will sell for whole or in parts...not easy of course. I paid $750 for the 26 jewel, hack 1520 (19800 bph) in the last 1016 frankenstein I stuck together and counting a mainspring and stem, the movement cost me about $775 after I cleaned it. That's not too bad for the movement as I can probably get at least this much back out of it.

If I had the movement cleaned by someone else it would cost about $100 around here.

I had to skimp on the dial and case in order to keep the $$ down though. I used an Asian 'refinished' 1016 dial (actually a new 100% replica dial) and aft/mkt hands along with a genuine 16234 case that is in good but not great condition. I went a $hundred or so over what I wanted to 'invest' but since I have worn it for more than a year, I got that back in 'wearing time'.

I thought about putting a Bulova 11BLACD in the watch and went so far as to drill the Bulova mainplate for rolex 1530 dial feet but have not put the movement together yet. All you have to do then is turn a fraction off the hour wheel so 1530 rolex spec hands will fit. This would bring the total cost down about $700 because of the difference in movement cost.

It would also make the watch an older style with 18000 bph and no hack.

j/s:

I think you did Ok on the 1680 except for the movement and this was not supposed to happen and should be chalked up to experience and bad luck. I know the bad taste from all the $$ spent makes you want to get rid of the watch that caused the loss but if it was me, I would keep the watch and wear it for a couple years and enjoy it.

If you feel the same way about it then...sell it, but I bet the feeling of paying too much slowly evaporates over time.