When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

[Review] Panerai PAM 002A (Gen vs DSN)

unregistered

I was a little bored today since I've been sick all weekend, so I thought I'd throw together a quick 002 review since I got this lil guy back.

Disclaimer: This review is only on the DSN dial, case and caseback. Crown and crownguard are from a 3rd party and don't ask me who, cause I don't know. Dial has also been relumed by Goin and the movement serviced.

Dial

PICT0050.jpg

1. Size of "LUMINOR" is incorrect, too tall by half an mm. Furthermore, printing is done in a lighter white or only one coat thus not making it stand out as much as it should

2. Same thing as "1" for "PANERAI"

3. Shape of R is incorrect

4. Shape of 6 tail is incorrect, a little thick (though this could be due to the relume)

IMG_3364.jpg

5. DSNs lume application on this stock is not that great, a little glossy and too white for a T dial plus it doesn't really glow much

PICT0049.jpg

1.Also, DSN's dial has a small groove around the numbers, not that obvious as his 082/195 dials, but still there if seen very up close. The gen has raised numbers like DSN's but no groove (Depending!)

Caseback

PICT0048.jpg

Missed it in my first look. Gen has 30ATM, DSN has 300m

Case

PaneraiPAM002D_4.jpg

Standard DSN case which in this case isn't too bad.

Crown & crownguard

crowns.jpg

I'm taking the above pic from my previous 040B review just to illustrate how crap DSN's stock stainless steel crowns are. Way too much bevel on them.

DSN's crownguards for the A-F series arn't too bad, a little thin, but overall ok, but nothing like a JFu and gen. They differ from the preggie CGs of Pre-Vs and G-series onwards.

All up, to get this close to gen, a swap of the crown, crownguard and relume are required. The font is something you can't change and just hope that a new version comes out in future, other than that, its a stunner.

More Pics

Great review thanks!

I never understood why he has the grooves around the dial indeces/numbers... I think they stick out like dogs balls :yuk:

Are there ANY gen models that have these?

Yeah, but they aren't that much pronounced. The gen Pam sausage dials come with the very fine groove around the markers and numerals, for example.

Good review unregistered! Would you say the crown on the DSN 002 case sits a little to high on the case, i.e. sticking above top of the CG? Is it possible the case is actually Getat/Jackson instead of DSN?

cheers mate,

b

Hi babola, exactly my thoughts but as this wasn't my build, I couldn't comment as to the source of all parts. It very well could be a Getat/JacksonTse case as the crown is a little high over the CG as compared to my LH case and Ti DSN case and the lugs arent the standard stubby ones DSN cases have.

swdvidad: On his 002 dial as mentioned the grooves arnt as bad. Here is his 082 dial and you can see its very pronounced, almost an outline. So personally, I would say the 002 is fine and acceptable.

IMG_4774.jpg

Edited by unregistered

Great effort thanks for sharing, I am seriously impressed that you have the ability to critic the minute details , I can see the font colour issue but with respect to the R's and Size its a pretty hard call.

I think it just goes to show how good the Reps are just how over priced the Historic Manual PAMS are.