When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hair loss

Dani

Hi,

Since their was no thread about it ill start one :p

My problem is really not as bad as many others but I do suffer from reclining hair loss at the temples, not on top.

I have thought about going shaved/short and tried it, even my Mother said i looked bad that way so i need to keep my hair if your mom says you look bad you LOOK BAD :lol:

So i need to keep my hair but to what cost, my reading come up to 3ways

1.pills that makes your [censored] recline like proscar NOT AN OPTION NOT A OPTION TO EVEN TRY :shock:

2.hair transplant , really bad options out their FUE and stripe, both being really expensive and seems very hard to get any good results..Also hair cloning is on the horizon in a short time frame so better wait if you can..

3.hair scalp treatments in different ways but all contains MINOXIDIL.

I have chosen option 3 if only to better options comes.

If you think about it 48% of all men gone lose significant amounts of hair before age 40, this should be big biz to get something going to help people whit hair loss..

I would love to hear what others think, is it shallow to think about hair loss or is it a legit concern, what's your thoughts?

• Like 1

Interesting one this....

I started developing a bald patch at the back some years ago, coupled with general thinning and receding temples. I put it down to genetics and change of climate as I moved to a much hotter country (still here).

I consulted some people and places.

Hair transplants are very problematic. If you're lucky and don't get the barbie doll look, you still have the risk that hair loss continues so the transplant is left looking isolated. There's a guy in our village who did a transplant for his temples. The loss continued, and he has 2 little islands of hair at the front that look silly. And yes; he was doing sumplementary treatments theoretically to stop further loss.

General conscensus seems that one of the scalp treatments can slow the loss process down. But can't stop it. And once lost, the hair won't grow back, so products claiming re-generation seem false.

Friend of ours is a professional image stylist, and she has told me numerous times that the reality is there is still no real cure or really effective preventative action product. It's all genetic.

You may be able to slow the process if you find the right product for you. But then that means continued use for prolonged period, and a failrly high cost.

Her advice and what I had to resign to; cut short, and think Sean Connery.......

Hair-loss. I have it! and I am post 40 years old

I have decided not to do anything about it..if I go bald that is the way nature made me pumped up with natural hormones as I am (funny thing is that I shave away my beard and some other body hairs so that is actually not so natural) ....at the rate my hair is falling off I estimate i will have few hairs if any on the very top of my skull 10 years from now

I think my only serious option is starting to wear a hat :drinks:

tinfoil-hat-cartoon1.jpg?w=300&h=282

Well I was one of those guys that started going bald at 24/25... I decided at 26 to cut it own to grade 3 which was pretty short at the time and then 2 and now its at 0 and I am still south of 35.

I almost went for hair transplant at one of the best doctors in the US that is mentioned on various hair forums (yep they exist) but was put off as a friend of mine went in and was left with a big scar on the back of his head where the donor hair was taken from and it did not take either!

I did grow some facial scruff as didn't quite like the completely bald and clean shaved look but I tried Advanced Hair Studio and rogaine and all that but none of it worked so figured just accept it rather then try to hold on.. besides bald is the new black ;)

I tried the twice a day lotion stuff to see if the adverts held any water. The fine downy hair it produces is pretty useless, so never proceeded past first treatment cycle.

If its any help, my mum said I looked awful the first time I shaved my head 7 years ago.

I always think the patchy hair look puts years on you.

My brother lost a lot of hair in his mid-20's. And I've had full hair until now (at 38), but now I see some thinning at the top... you know the area on the back/top where hair is growing to many directions. It's worse because I have dark hair and the potential bald area is going to be more visible because of that.

Now it's barely visible but if it goes bad, I'll just shave it all off. I trim my hair with that Philishave anyway... I don't really care. But I'm sure it would have bothered me if it happened when I was 20.

Things have changed too... in the 80's shaved heads reminded people of skinheads. Now it's just fashionable and not "politically incorrect" anymore. Bald head looks good on some, and not so good on some others. It's probably the shape of your skull which determines it.

About those operations... when I was younger, I used to date a nice, nice looking girl who had silicone tits. I'm not a big breasts man but those looked cool, they weren't too big... and if those transplants made her happy, what's wrong with 'em? I don't understand people who see a moral problem with it. Same with hair transplants... if your hair loss is becoming a phsychological problem to you, why not? It's your hair and your decision.

Personally, I would just save the money and buy more watches. :D

Pretty much nothing works on the front. I used combined Minoxidil (Rogaine) and Finasteride (Propecia) until a couple of years ago which stopped hairloss and helped grow back some at the back (of my head). Got lazy and cheap and now see the results (of only using Minoxidil). I have just ordered a new batch of Finasteride to restore a full head. It does not work for everyone, but works for me, especially when combining the two. Never felt any side effects either. Cost can be less than a decent PAM rep when you go for generic. Minoxidil ca. $100/year; Finasteride ca $200/year. To make thin hair appear thicker have a look at the Samy's products. Their shampoo and conditioner aren't cheap (at least in the UK) but make a whole lot of difference.

Pretty much nothing works on the front. I used combined Minoxidil (Rogaine) and Finasteride (Propecia) until a couple of years ago which stopped hairloss and helped grow back some at the back (of my head). Got lazy and cheap and now see the results (of only using Minoxidil). I have just ordered a new batch of Finasteride to restore a full head. It does not work for everyone, but works for me, especially when combining the two. Never felt any side effects either. Cost can be less than a decent PAM rep when you go for generic. Minoxidil ca. $100/year; Finasteride ca $200/year. To make thin hair appear thicker have a look at the Samy's products. Their shampoo and conditioner aren't cheap (at least in the UK) but make a whole lot of difference.

can i Ask where you order from?

propecia is same as proscar, only whit proscar you need to cut your tab into 4bits.

I prefer to call them 'skin-horns'. Or taking a spin in the 'Recedes-Benz'. :p

Seriously, age with grace.

Don't comb it over or do any ridiculous treatments. Buy yourself some clippers and move on.

;)

easy to say..If i looked just somewhat good bald or short I would do it NOW, but i am one of those that dont look good bald my head shape is let say funny :lol:

I have always had a big forehead and all the men in my family started balding as soon as they had kids so I knew exactly what was in store for me after my first born. Being that I can't stand the weak growth atop my dome and am too lazy to engage in any hair treatments I take a razor twice a week and just take it all off. While it does some adjustment and acceptance from the family they have no choice but to live with it now. I don't think they really care as long as the bills are paid, haha

I have always had a big forehead and all the men in my family started balding as soon as they had kids so I knew exactly what was in store for me after my first born. Being that I can't stand the weak growth atop my dome and am too lazy to engage in any hair treatments I take a razor twice a week and just take it all off. While it does some adjustment and acceptance from the family they have no choice but to live with it now. I don't think they really care as long as the bills are paid, haha

if your sorted out whit a wife and kid, then its pretty easy to do it..Me I am still on the hunt ;)

easy to say..If i looked just somewhat good bald or short I would do it NOW, but i am one of those that dont look good bald my head shape is let say funny :lol:

Anyway, its still about aging gracefully.

Believe me, confidence in how you look regardless is more attractive than being narcissistically concerned about hair. Bum-fluff from drugs, hair plugs and thickening style products are really quite obvious from a mile away and scream insecurity.

I'm just encouraging you to be comfortable in your own skin (even if its showing on top of your head hehe). ;)

its the only way forward. Don't fight it - it's bigger than both of us. :p

Chicks ar$es get bigger as they age, mens hair get thinner. its natural.

:)

Things have changed too... in the 80's shaved heads reminded people of skinheads. Now it's just fashionable and not "politically incorrect" anymore. Bald head looks good on some, and not so good on some others. It's probably the shape of your skull which determines it.

About those operations... when I was younger, I used to date a nice, nice looking girl who had silicone [censored]. I'm not a big breasts man but those looked cool, they weren't too big... and if those transplants made her happy, what's wrong with 'em? I don't understand people who see a moral problem with it. Same with hair transplants... if your hair loss is becoming a phsychological problem to you, why not? It's your hair and your decision.

Personally, I would just save the money and buy more watches. :D

BT, I totally agree with you! Great minds think alike! :p

Hi,

Nice to hear your experience.

As i just begin to treat it and whit hair cloning a very high possibility due to arrive 2013-2014 and be ready for regular people maybe 1yr later ill just use sprays/treatments like spectral dnc and good shampoo like nisim.

Think of the possibility to get 5000grafts from nothing , its like you can even whit heavy loss get your hair back..Me whit a small loss can get a new hairline even :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Vanity its a blessing :rofl:

Well hope you

Have been using finasteride (Propecia) for 7 years since my hair started thinning from age. I'm 63. It stopped the hair loss immediately, but at this late in the game, it did not regrow very much so where it thinned out on my crown and temples, its still thin. The conversion of our testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the cause of all our hair loss, some have genetic makeup that makes them more prone, earlier, of having better DHT receptors on their hair follicles or to having more natural conversion to DHT. Finasteride blocks the testosterone conversion to DHT, however, it doesn't lower your testosterone levels, age & genetics does that naturally. The longer the hair follicle is bombarded with DHT, it eventually gets to a point where its irreversible and no longer will produce, no matter what you throw at it.

I'm not sure my libido was compromised since I started using finasteride so late in life that I could, just attribute it to aging (gracefully). The days of waking up with a morning boner are long gone. :bye2: Saw Palmetto is a natural herb that can supplement the finasteride, and in combination would seemingly help. But the side benefit is, (besides stopping my hair loss), is I do not suffer from common BHP (enlarged prostrate). Finasteride is one of the drugs used to shrink the prostrate. Taking a small dose daily for the last 7 years has kept the natural prostrate growth, common for all men after your mid-50's to late 60's, in check. My doctor stated yesterday at my exam that I have a teenager's prostrate, small and not like an old guy. So no getting up all night to go pee. Too much info here, but it is food for thought, there is some health benefits for seeking vanity. :elvis:

Let me introduce you to my best friend:

wahl-79232.JPG

It's all relative. I decided a long time ago that if my hair started to go, I would just embrace the hairless look. It started its retreat, and one day on a trip to the barbershop I made the decision to crop it real short. Upon coming home, my wife declared that it made me look like a member of the "Hitler Youth." I concentrated on the "Youth" part and took it as a compliment. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

She has now done a 180 and says real short hair makes me look like Brad Pitt (trust me, I don't). So, as I said, it's all relative. Don't let your mother determine what looks good on you. Or, you could always go retro and rock this look, and no one will be the wiser:

04_05_combover.jpg

• Like 1

Started balding at around 20 years too! Thin on top, thicker round the sides. However I shave my hair really short and it suits me alot better, so not that bothered about it! I think the girls dig it (deep down) haha......