When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Franken UPO

watcher

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'm quite proud of this one!

To sum up -

Gen Parts are as follows:

Dial

Hands

Crystal

Bezel Insert

Crown and Tube

Bracelet End Links

Date Wheel

This is based on a Swiss ETA 2824-2 UPO supplied by Precioustime. The bracelet that came on the watch has gone down in quality over the last couple of years since my last UPO project! Poor finsih and poor engraving on the claps too. Luckily I had the older bracelet which has a very well engraved clasp and smooth finished links too.

The Genuine end links are definately worth the $59 each price tag. They are better finshed and better profiled than the rep links. Omega pins are thicker though so I had to drill out the holes slightly more on the bracelet to fit.

Another thing that bugs me is the crystal height on this particular watch, the insert sits slightly above the crystal edge on both rep and gen inserts so maybe the rehaut is a little too low. Both crystals are the same thickness so I cannot blame that. The gen bezel is the same thickness as the rep example.

As for fitting a gen bezel, this is not possible without machining a shim with a lip on it to make up the thickness between the gen and rep bezel. A shame!

The gen end links fit the case without having to bend the pins(22 x 1.8mm used) so the rep EL's must not be drilled perfectly as they were very bent on my watch!

My genuine caseback will not arrive for a couple of weeks yet so I will update then on how that fits.

Think that sums it up for now. Cheers :victory:

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'm quite proud of this one!

To sum up -

Gen Parts are as follows:

Dial

Hands

Crystal

Bezel Insert

Crown and Tube

Bracelet End Links

Date Wheel

This is based on a Swiss ETA 2824-2 UPO supplied by Precioustime. The bracelet that came on the watch has gone down in quality over the last couple of years since my last UPO project! Poor finsih and poor engraving on the claps too. Luckily I had the older bracelet which has a very well engraved clasp and smooth finished links too.

The Genuine end links are definately worth the $59 each price tag. They are better finshed and better profiled than the rep links. Omega pins are thicker though so I had to drill out the holes slightly more on the bracelet to fit.

Another thing that bugs me is the crystal height on this particular watch, the insert sits slightly above the crystal edge on both rep and gen inserts so maybe the rehaut is a little too low. Both crystals are the same thickness so I cannot blame that. The gen bezel is the same thickness as the rep example.

As for fitting a gen bezel, this is not possible without machining a shim with a lip on it to make up the thickness between the gen and rep bezel. A shame!

The gen end links fit the case without having to bend the pins(22 x 1.8mm used) so the rep EL's must not be drilled perfectly as they were very bent on my watch!

My genuine caseback will not arrive for a couple of weeks yet so I will update then on how that fits.

Think that sums it up for now. Cheers :victory:

AHHH bracelet endlinks!!?? where'd you get those and how much did they run you? The truth is I'd love to get a gen bracelet.. but for 600usd... it just seems out of reach. Your watch looks excellent!

Gen end links are on ofrei website priced at $59 each. You need 951 parts.

woww... 59 EACH!?? not sure where omega gets off selilng bracelet/bracelet links for so much money! The bracelet is almost half the price of a completetely gen watch!

p.s. did you randomly happen to come across the bezel insert by itself or did you purchase the bezel with insert then just use the insert???

I purchased the bezel complete! In fact the rep bezel was annoying me so much that I have now sacrificed the rotating action and I have bonded the gen bezel and insert to the case!!! I don't care about the bezel function and prefer a more visually accurate watch. The rep bezel just was not quite there for me. Here is a pic with gen bezel fitted.

019.jpg

I purchased the bezel complete! In fact the rep bezel was annoying me so much that I have now sacrificed the rotating action and I have bonded the gen bezel and insert to the case!!! I don't care about the bezel function and prefer a more visually accurate watch. The rep bezel just was not quite there for me. Here is a pic with gen bezel fitted.

019.jpg

That looks hot! Was it hard to get of the rep bezel?

Beautiful PO,to bad about the non functioning bezel. I know that the watch looks gen but It would drive me crazy not to be able to turn the bezel. I dont really use my chronos but If there not working properly It bugs the [censored] out of me. Reguardless, your PO project is outstanding :good:

Thank guys!

I have 10 watches with bezels and never turn any of them and they are all on genuine watches, not reps!

Ofrei shipped my genuine caseback today so I will mkae comment on the fit later. On holiday now for a while so it will be quite some time before I see the caseback! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thank guys!

I have 10 watches with bezels and never turn any of them and they are all on genuine watches, not reps!

Ofrei shipped my genuine caseback today so I will mkae comment on the fit later. On holiday now for a while so it will be quite some time before I see the caseback! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i have a UPO franken in progress and think i would prefer to stick the gen bezel, that i have, than just to use the insert...it seems such a waste not using the complete bezel.

great looking watch there watcher thumbsupsmileyanim.gif