When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Crystal Comparison: Clark vs. GS

lhooq

983236256_7QpL9-X3.jpg

This is a follow-up to my award-winning comparison (OK, not really) of aftermarket Tropic 21s. Considering the appeal of 1016 Explorers is even narrower than that of vintage Daytonas, I will be very happy to match the two responses that thread received. You will be blessed, freddy333 and coolfire! But there's been a lot of chatter -relatively speaking- about 1016 projects in the last few months, so maybe this will help out a handful of people.

There wouldn't have even been a comparison without automatico, who kindly offered to send the GS PA464-64C crystal to me. Before automatico chimed in on one of the vintage Explorer threads, I had thought that Clark was the only way to go for an aftermarket Tropic 22. Genuine units aren't cheap: A modern, beveled-edge Tropic 22 will go for $150-200, while a vintage superdome T22 will sell for $250, minimum. Both types are rarely spotted for sale on eBay or on the forums.

Note that both of these crystals are of the modern style. I don't know any aftermarket supplier of superdome T22s, so there's a niche that's waiting to be filled. So let's get started with the comparison, as there are more differences between these two than I would have expected. The Clark is on the left, the GS is on the right:

983236314_Z9ncd-X3.jpg

Already the difference is clear: The GS is lower overall, but has a taller and more pronounced bevel. The Clark has a deeper dome and a thinner edge around the circumference. The bevels appear to be angled identically.

Onto an oblique angle. Clark is above, GS is below:

983236221_Q9cUb-X3.jpg

983236376_haLbd-X3.jpg

The Clark appears to have greater clarity on the bevel, but I believe that's a compression effect of the thinner edge. Opticians out there can correct me on this. :man:

Both crystals are very good, but which is closer to gen? It's easier to tell when there's a frame of reference, so let's roll out the jmb/LHOOQ "1016" bezel for a simulation. Again, Clark is on top, GS below:

983236448_XFHDN-X3.jpg

983236468_AKoFt-X3.jpg

(Note that the picture of the GS depresses me, because it's obvious that I scuffed it while slipping it on the bezel. It's better after some Polywatch, but still... stupid, stupid, stupid!)

Now compare those two shots with this genuine 1016 in profile:

983236477_zVh8n-X3.jpg

GS wins!

The aberrations in the reflections on the GS look so much nicer. I would imagine that clarity and sharpness would be much improved if you installed a GS on the 1016.

Very, very nice comparison!! Thanks to both you and Automatico!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Question for you: what's the price difference between the two?

• 2 years later...

thanks for the comparison, but despite my persistent search i have yet to come across access to the ID and OD sizes of clark's crystals.  i've asked gary and he tells me he has no reference.  i found measurements for startime, but none of the other crystals have dimensions.  http://store.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=1D_Rolex_Crystal

anyone have a reference for sizes?

Edited by hidden impact

• 1 month later...

"Oh... If only these GS crystals could be easily purchased from somewhere!"

I can send you a few if it would help.

Oh man,

I could certainly use a few - can we talk?

*1601 based project in progress

*16xxx based project to begin

EDIT: sending PM to ask.

Edited by vmarks

• 4 months later...